Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Apex vs. AT Pro

I currently use an AT Pro which is 8 years old and I’m wanting to get something newer and keep the Pro as a backup. Would I be bettering myself with an Apex? I am disappointed in the depth capability of the Pro but that could be partly my fault since I normally discriminate up to 45 or 50 due to mainly detecting at parks and schools. I’ve recently reduced it to 35 to try to increase the depth but the excess signals drive me nuts. I’m thinking about jumping ship and buying an Equinox but I’m not sure I want to spend that much. Is the depth of the Apex better than the Pro and is the target ID better beyond 4-5”? I cannot find any comparisons between the two. I like the idea of a multi frequency machine but I’m wanting more depth as well. I don’t beach hunt so having a submersible machine is not a priority. I’ve never had my Pro underwater in 8 years. I welcome all advice.

I currently use an AT Pro which is 8 years old and I’m wanting to get something newer and keep the Pro as a backup. Would I be bettering myself with an Apex? I am disappointed in the depth capability of the Pro but that could be partly my fault since I normally discriminate up to 45 or 50 due to mainly detecting at parks and schools. I’ve recently reduced it to 35 to try to increase the depth but the excess signals drive me nuts. I’m thinking about jumping ship and buying an Equinox but I’m not sure I want to spend that much. Is the depth of the Apex better than the Pro and is the target ID better beyond 4-5”? I cannot find any comparisons between the two. I like the idea of a multi frequency machine but I’m wanting more depth as well. I don’t beach hunt so having a submersible machine is not a priority. I’ve never had my Pro underwater in 8 years. I welcome all advice.
I always hunt in Pro Zero mode .

The multifrequency should give you more accurate target ID. Separation & recovery speed should be better also. Both will help you weed through the trash. Depth potential is relative to how clean the ground is under the coil.

Obviously, the 'Nox is in a different class than the Apex. But I think you would like the lighter weight of the Apex/Viper coil (2.5 lbs.), as well as the MS-3 wireless headphones. I know I do. The Raider coil is a bit heavier and I feel it's extra weight when swinging.

The Apex gives you the choice of being able to detect in the SMF mode, or individual frequencies 5KHz, 10KHz, 15KHz, 20KHz. I use this a lot to mitigate EMI interference.

If you equip the Apex with the Ripper coil, you will find it is super in trashy areas, and even lighter in weight while swinging. You might give up a little depth, but easier to separate targets. The build quality of Garrett is top notch as well.

I swung an AT Pro for maybe 30 seconds some five years ago, and I've never seen a Nox in person. So I can't tell you how the Apex would compare to either of those machines.

With that many targets in the ground (signals driving you crazy) I doubt any machine will get a lot of depth.

The Apex has iron volume as well as iron audio. The user can choose if they want to hear iron, or not, and how loud that iron tone is. In any mode but Zero Mode, pressing the iron audio button will let the user hear the iron tones. (Don't use the iron audio button in Zero mode - it makes good targets sound like iron). I normally hunt in Zero mode or Relic mode, with iron volume set to 2. If I'm in Relic mode (or any mode other than Zero mode) and I want to check for iron - a simple press of the Iron Audio button and I can hear any iron that is under the coil. Press the Iron Audio button again, and no more iron tones.

With the recent update the Apex does appear to have a pretty stable target ID - although that can bounce around a bit if there are other targets very near. Over the weekend I dug multiple targets with all sorts of trash in the same hole. Some had nails above and below the good target. Some had trash right next to the target. One hole had 3 dimes, 1 penny, 4 nails, and a screwcap in the hole. I dug the hole because the Apex gave me a repeatable high tone. I have no idea what the target ID numbers were - I don't pay them much attention.

The Apex separates very well. The areas I hunt tend to be very trashy - with everything from bits of 200 year old iron to square tabs and foil. I do prefer using the 5X8 coil (Ripper) but I think the stock coil (Viper) is quite good too. I have not done depth tests - I just hunt my sites and get whatever depth I get. The deepest target I've dug (Apex) so far is a Ford vehicle key that was 7-8 inches down (in a trashy area). I believe the Apex will easily hit a quarter at 10 inches - and possibly a couple inches deeper than that - but have not dug that deep.. yet. Some of that will depend on the soil, the alignment of the moon, etc.. The depth will also depend on the amount of targets in the soil - a lot of targets and chances are I wouldn't hear a really deep signal anyway.

The Apex is a very well made machine. It is easy to operate, yet offers enough adjustability to make it a good machine for most hunting situations. The headphones are fantastic - perhaps a bit warm on hot days, but the audio is excellent and I cannot discern any lag. I like the tones of the Apex (the update altered them just a bit). The Apex pinpoints well. It is very light weight and easy to swing.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that. Been looking at this machine for awhile,but figured like all new releases it would have a bug or two,and didn’t know it could be fixed with a At home update. Good for Garrett for making that possible