Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

APEX

Personally, I'm not concerned about it not being waterproof. There are already several good waterproof detectors available for those who need one. I don't think Garrett is done yet, however, so you detector dunkers just hang in there. Multi frequency is a great step in the right direction, but their newest going forward does need some more depth then what the great A T Pro has to offer. IMHO! HH jim tn

I guess I'll qualify my statement , which was: "... the vast majority of metal detecting hobbyists don't wade out into the water much, if they even water hunt at all. Most are land-based hobbyists, and even most Avid detectorists spend their time on land."

Consider these things:
► Garrett folks stated they have sold over a million Ace series models world-wide. That's a lot, and they aren't waterproof. A lot of folks are just fine using a detector and not hunting in the water, although some might do it a little in a beach environment ... but a smaller percentage of Ace users, to be sure.

► Although I am really hoping some of the Ace series performance has been improved, the
ACE APEX is still an Ace series detector. I could hear some slight differences in the video presentation, but I also heard some annoying Iron Audio response that doesn't come across as 'improved' and that means it isn't going to be very useful for those hunting really nasty iron contaminated sites. I do, and have since may of '69.

► I was Detractor Dealer since '77, starting back then with Garrett as a matter-of-fact, and I have been involved with clubs and helped found two or three, and in those and many other situations of contact with people why are or have-been in this hobby, they didn't / don't get out detecting all that often, most have related to me they never hunted a saltwater or freshwater beach, and the bulk of the consumers gradually lose interest in the metal detecting hobby. Especially in recent years compared to those who got into it back in the '70s to mid/late '80s.

► The Ace series and similar lower-cost detectors are what a bulk of the shoppers are looking for because they have a limited budget for a detector. I'm referring to the newcomers as well as those who've been in the sport a while, but not on a very active and frequent pace. Even today we read responses that they felt the
APEX is too expensive, with some saying they are just looking for an 'extra' detector or a 'back-up'

► I get together with 17 to 25 people twice a year on Welcome-to-Hunt Outings I host that have mostly been working ghost towns. There are a few people who bring along a waterproof detector to use on the Outings, but those are not a lower-priced detector. Those with a Garrett AT model who have participated soon put it away and get a different and better-performing model and coil for the challenges we face. Some have used a different waterproof detector, like the Equinox series, but generally they haven't done well, and most have reserved them for other uses, such as working a beach or a city park. That's because they don't quite match better-performing models in those applications. The only folks who have continued to use a water-proof detector are Nokta / Makro users of the Kruzer or Anfibio series because, by design, they work quite well in troubling iron debris.

► Folks I know who do make Beach Hunting a dedicated part of their hobby enjoyment also have other non-waterproof detectors for other applications.

In this case I feel the coming Garrett
APEX was a good move to make it a land-based device. It helps maintain an affordable price, provides a lot of the features the bulk of the consumers want to see, and it leave the door open for them to offer a dedicated waterproof model for folks like you who are looking for one, especially with some new and different packaging and up-scale features. The APEX was simply a thought-out step in the right direction, and at the same time it offers all those million-plus Ace consumers and followers something of interest to move ahead with some better features and packaging, and also attract new-comers to the Garrett camp because it is an affordable and well-featured model.

Most are not water hunters. Those who are likely have a waterproof model now, or thy will hold out and follow the new features of the APEX just to see what Garrett might work up for a dedicated water hunting model
But Monte, for the price of a few o-rings, maybe couple gaskets, huh. Out where you roam, maybe not so many waders. Elsewhere many take to the water.. Waterproof is a huge reason for the success of the Pro series. Instead of going for a safe hit, they could have cleared the bases with this one. Fisher brought out a light, waterproof F series detector for a very low price. So cost or weight surely wasn't a factor here. A waterproof Apex sure would of been looked at very hard by many dedicated hunters who need a all terrain machine.

But Monte, for the price of a few o-rings, maybe couple gaskets, huh. Out where you roam, maybe not so many waders. Elsewhere many take to the water.. Waterproof is a huge reason for the success of the Pro series. Instead of going for a safe hit, they could have cleared the bases with this one. Fisher brought out a light, waterproof F series detector for a very low price. So cost or weight surely wasn't a factor here. A waterproof Apex sure would of been looked at very hard by many dedicated hunters who need a all terrain machine.
When did fisher release a waterproof f series machine? I don't remember this at all.

It pretty obvious the Apex (pro) will soon follow......which will be full waterproof

I don't need a waterproof detector , but I'm sure there is a curtain segment f the detector world that wants one. You might have a good idea that they just might do that. However, I sure hope they eliminate the use of words like 'Pro' or 'Plus' on any new product. Way over-used terms in this industry.

Monte

When did fisher release a waterproof f series machine? I don't remember this at all.
Coinhunterseth, I stand corrected. I went back, and ad says waterproof COIL. Everybody has that. But I swear I saw a video of them wadeing with one. (Not naming here)

Single, Selectable or Multi-frequency detectors don't have to be waterproof. True, a water hunter who wants to dunk their detector might like waterproof, but the vast majority of metal detecting hobbyists don't wade out into the water much, if they even water hunt at all. Most are land-based hobbyists, and even most Avid detectorists spend their time on land. There are plenty of waterproof detectors for avid waders and swimmers to pick from. The new APEX is a sensibly-priced model that is more of an up-scale entry-level competitor to appeal to the majority of the folks in this great sport.

I'm sure Garrett will come to the rescue of those who want frequency choices in a waterproof model when they upgrade their AT series.

Monte

The APEX looks to be quite an impressive detector ! What are your thoughts ?

For 599 simultanious multi frequency with wireless headphones is a deal. I don't care if the detector is not waterproof.

If performance is good it will sell, because the Minelab Equinox is not as good as some user say.
I buy the new Garrett anyway and let you know how I like it....or not.

Praise God for Minelab Equinox 800! They set the stage! I never did doubt them for a moment! Metal Detector Companies are now extremely competitive! And, the bar in technology is fiercely competitive! Metal Detectors are producing multi-freq., and bundling an affordable wireless headphone! I own the White's Spectra V3i, and will open the box on an Equinox 800 this evening. Desperately wanting to remain with the Made in America Garrett may have my next metal detector on the horizon! Their new detector features a lithium ion contained in the control box! One thing to walk away with is the knowledge competition is great!

Ha Ha...have you step back and read this thread.....its funny....all of us trolls who never post here on a regular basis....

I like the Apex. I like the way it looks. I like what they are doing with the audio..5 tones with the hybrid saturated / proportional audio based upon signal strength. They carried over the iron audio option for flat steel and bottle caps as well as the 39 points of iron disc from the AT series. I like that you can choose one of 4 independent frequencies or chose one of the full spectrum multi-frequency modes. A full spectrum multi-frequency mode means that the detector will be hot to both low, medium and high conductors targets..something you can't get with a single frequency model. I like the fact that they kept the high frequency at 20 kHz. I like the built in wireless headphone and built in rechargeable battery. First the Ace...then the AT....and now the Apex....wow.

I can't wait to read the operating manual.

Also the price...all this for under $500

HH
Mike

Before the pandemic I actually traded in my foreign made machines for new Made In The USA detectors. I had a problem getting a very simple part from a certain Turkish company. The so called repair center here was no help. This changed my mind that a simple part could not be easily gotten. Now that we know we have had a huge reliance on many things made overseas, I think it's time we support our USA brands again. Been detecting since the 1970's and this is just my humble opinion. I'm sure an APEX will be in my future.

I'm curious as to which detector and what part you needed.

Before the pandemic I actually traded in my foreign made machines for new Made In The USA detectors. I had a problem getting a very simple part from a certain Turkish company. The so called repair center here was no help. This changed my mind that a simple part could not be easily gotten. Now that we know we have had a huge reliance on many things made overseas, I think it's time we support our USA brands again. Been detecting since the 1970's and this is just my humble opinion. I'm sure an APEX will be in my future.

Really - you must be one of the very rare ones who has not been picked up by Nokta-Makro directly - Did you contact Dilek at all?
No-one comes close to the fantastic INTERNATIONAL Support N-M offer, not just catering for the US Market - Happy you are swinging American/Chinese gear now.

Personally I found the build quality of US Detectors to be quite substandard for American made - Sad really considering they once led the world

if they released the Apex as a waterproof unit that would simply make their AT Series null & void -
certainly a good looking unit however lets see if there are any teething problems before comparing it with proven detectors

For 599 simultanious multi frequency with wireless headphones is a deal. I don't care if the detector is not waterproof.

If performance is good it will sell, because the Minelab Equinox is not as good as some user say.
I buy the new Garrett anyway and let you know how I like it....or not.
Rich has pre orders going in now for I believe $479.00
Mark

Great to see an American manufacturer actually stop rebadging old products, stop making excuses, and really take a chance by producing a brand new product.
Can't wait to use a truly new, USA quality detector again.

Jeff

I don't need another Water-Proof Detector, thank you.
I like the new Garrett Apex and am trying to get on a waiting list to try one out
Multi Freq- Even though I have "one" multi- I don't find that feature superior to anything else I have in single Frequency. The write ups and videos for the famous Multi I see, seem to point out only two Multi program set ups work well and deep for coins plus the ID numbers are way off. Sort of like a Combination Lock. If you forget your Combination code you are SOL! ;)
Maybe the Garrett multi will be simpler and more direct.

It's kinda funny that "We don't need another water proof detector" If that's so true, why do we need another dry detector. There's plenty of all kinds out there.
What the dunkers can't figure is, this unit could have made everyone happy with a few o rings, maybe a gasket. Without adding any weight.
Heck I've seen Ace 250's with shrink wrap on them serving the purpose. The last waterproof Garrett came out with was the ATX, that's been a while.

I can see your point Dancer, but there is some higher cost involved making a unit water and leakage replacement cost factor. Also, there are far less multi frequency "dry" detectors available then there are water proof. I highly suspect, though, we'll very shortly have the best of both worlds from Garrett. HH jim tn