Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Archaeologists use of metal detectors???

Wow, great post. I too have met some of these "purists" types (although not all of them are like that, though. btw).

A story like yours: There was a particular mission assistencia site near me. As assistencia is like a way-station or outpost, of one of the 21 California missions. It dated from the late 1700s, and had adobe walls still visible till the 1950s, melting away in the cow pastures of the footills near me. By the 1980s, it was nothing but a high spot on the ground, if you even knew what you were looking for. Some buddies of mine researched out the location, and hunted it in the 1980s. They got lots of reales and early US coins, buttons, etc..... Then in the 1990s, development was slated for the area. BUT WAIT, an E.I.R. mandated they have "cultural heritage impacts" monitored. So the developer had to have an archaeologist on site during the site prep. development. I think the first archaeologist was doing his job too good (kept finding things as the dozers passed back and forth). So a few days later, the developer had hired a different archaeological firm, from over an hour away, to finish the work. I watched this new archaeologist from a distance, through binnoculars. She just stood there, drank from her coffee cup, and occasionally walked over to glance down at a rock or object. She found nothing of interest, and signed off on everything they did.

Later on, I found out these type archaeologists are called "customer friendly" archaeologists, who ........... when you pay for their services, you can be assured they .... whadayaknow...... won't find anything of interest. :rolleyes:

n/t

Does anyone know or have first hand knowledge of an Archaeologist using a metal detector to find a site and excavate it?

The answer to your question is simply NO...they wait for the metal detectorists to find the site, then kick them of with legislation, and claim all the glory.:twodetecting:

TK.

They use em, the ones i saw didn't know what they were doing. They were checking out an old
blacksmith shop up the road from me that was in the middle of a cut for a highway project. I had
already hammered this place and it was way more than infested with iron. They were using what
looked like 15" coils.