Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are my wireless headphones broken?

Last night while detecting on the beach I noticed my headphones were popping more often than they normally do. Once or twice a hunt I normally will hear a loud pop like a popgun in them. It is not horribly loud put is loud enough to not be missed. It reminds me of an AM radio when there is a storm in the area. Not a bunch of noise just a popping sound from time to time. Almost like a static discharge.

Anyway last night after I switched off my detector to take a break I noticed I could not get the headphones to connect to the detector at all. I could turn them on but once I turned them off they would not switch on again unless I removed the batteries. I put fresh batteries in them but it made no difference. I basically can only power cycle them one time without removing the batteries or they will not cooperate at all. Unfortunately I have not been able to get them to connect to the detector since that break and I have gone through the pairing process many times. Are my headphones broken?

Thanks,

The Shark

Ugh.... I hope not. I hate hearing that pop... I figure the devil is the cause....

Make sure you have good batteries in them. Make sure you have them on the right channel. There are also offsets to the frequency, I have not had to deal with this so I am not the best one to answer. One more thing, make sure the batteries have enough spring tension on them. Every time this has happened to me it has been because of weak batteries. I would double check to make sure that everything is enabled in the V. There are some deep settings in there....:shrug: If all else fails call Whites.

And please follow up with the solution so we can all be educated..... Anyone got any ideas?

I had a problem a few weeks ago with my wireless headphones. Strange noises and then nothing. At the same time another V3i user about 20 meters away had the same problem. Changed the batteries, nothing. Then checked the machine to find the wireless head phones had switched them selves off in the unit.Switched it back on , put in the old batteries and all was back to normal. Later on I went near to where I had the problem and got the same noises again so turned back and all was O.K. Just wondering if the problem could be due to electronic or radio waves in that area of the field?? Worth investigating you don`t have the same cause as me!! Check headphones are still on in the machine

You might try a higher channel, it seems that the occasional popping went away for me when when I went way up in the channel selection. I don't know if that is your problem but it won't hurt to try it.

You could try a different location and see it it happens somewhere else too and if so it could be the headphones. :shrug:

Checking the detector was the first thing I did. It says the headphones are "not responding." I then go through the pairing process where you hold the power button (like the detector says) and I can sit there for 5 minutes holding that button but nothing seems to happen. It doesn't look good.

The Shark

No I think you`re right Pokershark looks like a job for Whites repair team. Have you tried wired headphones to see if it works with them?

Try this, make sure the contacts are making good contact. They might have to be sprung out a little. One day out on a hunt mine quit, the fix has lasted over a year. Then the popping sound, try putting a small piece of foam in the cover it helps the batteries snug. ROB

The battery contacts appear to be clean and snug. The phones will not turn on (or off) at all now. Changing batteries makes no difference, they are completely unresponsive. I hit the Whites website this morning before I left the house for a pre-planned hunt we setup earlier in the week. It said their hours are 9a - 4:30p PDT (Homes/Support/Contact Us) but no days were mentioned so I gave it a shot against my better judgement - naturally they were closed. I love detecting, but most of the detector and accessory companies in this hobby really need to get out of the stone age and FIX their web presence. I do not have anything to do with web development, but I can tell you when it is right and wrong. Must be the IT manager in me. But Whites does have one of the better sites out there, this is just a minor error.

I have used my detector Friday night and most of Saturday afternoon with NO phones at all and it really blows. I sold off all my wired phones with my other detectors. The only pair I kept are damaged on one side - I need to repair the slide/ear cup holder because it is broken. They came that way with a used detector I purchased I just dropped them in a file cabinet drawer to think about some other time. Thus I am forced to use the machine with the speaker only.

Here is a bit of irony - when I was shopping for my dream detector the thing that stopped me from immediately pulling the trigger on the V3i over some of my other choices was the price of the wireless phones. If I was going to pop for a top of the line machine I was going to get the full experience -which is my nature when it comes to tech. But I honestly thought $299.95 was leaning hard in the direction of gouging, so I wrote to Whites and basically said so; with a technical explanation of my reasoning. After 2 to 3 weeks they responded and basically shared with me the justifications I had already heard - a new development, zero lag, and so on. It still did not justify the cost in my mind, but I did respect them for replying and going to the effort. The manager that replied said they seem to sell at that price. I think most people are like me and are frustrated by the price point, but say why purchase a birthday cake without the icing? Even if that icing is 2x the price of other quality icing. So they hold their nose and reach for their credit card. I guess the early adopters don't get the finger, they get the entire fist when it comes to paying for the R&D costs. My solution - buy a used V3i with the phones that way I didn't really pay nearly $300 for a pair of headphones!! I guess this is a karma payback and just drives the point home that these things are not worth 3 C-notes if they are fragile - and I baby my gear. That power button has never felt right to me under that rubber pad...........it often turns them on and off in the same press!! I also know for a fact that they were used a total of 2 times with the detector before I bought it. So they are in effect just over 3 months old (including my 3 months of ownership) when it comes to physical usage, and it has been about 14 months since they were originally purchased with the detector.

I still say the V3i is an awesome detector, the phones are also great (assuming they work) at about $199.95 a set, and Whites is an awesome company. This will work itself out and I have no doubt Whites will make it right.

Thanks for listening to my rant.......:cry::sadwalk: :drinking:

The Shark

And in all fairness to Whites - when they do make this right I am going to share the events with the forum which will basically make my prior rant moot - I hope. I understand they are a very proactive when it comes to customer support and my warranty transfer was an absolutely perfect engagement in my opinion. So I have no reason to expect anything but the same outstanding experience.

The Shark

I am IMPRESSED!!!! I AM COMPLETELY IMPRESSED!! (Yes, I know I am yelling - I need to)
:whites: :clapping: :whites:

I just spoke to Whites support and Mary Hudson told me that they will be sending me a new set of headphones to ensure mine are working for a trip to Virginia scheduled for August 19th. Folks I am speechless, and you know from reading my long and rambling messages that is saying something!

I am also embarrassed that I gave them a hard time over the cost of these phones before I bought my unit. This is very impressive customer service and it costs money to provide. I give the group permission to flame me all you wish if I EVER say anything negative about Whites going forward. I have been around for 50 years and I have used tech support for technology since my late teens. I cannot think of a single user support experience that comes close to this level of customer centric support Whites offers. And here is the most shocking point - I did not make the initial purchase! I am the second owner and the warranty was transferred to me, yet I am still put on a pedestal and treated like I made a brilliant choice to go with this vendor. :thumbup: This is impressive considering the other detector vendors will not consider transferring their 90 day - 1 year warranties! :ranting:

Whites you have earned a customer for life because I consider your price points more than fair considering you treat your customers like royalty. This truly is priceless in this modern world of customer contempt and non-support. I think anyone that makes a non-Whites purchase is stupid, stupid, stupid! Way to go Whites!! :whites: :thumbup: :whites: :bouncy: :whites:

The Shark

Problem solved, Post closed.