Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are the Equinox coils that work with Xterra Pro better then stock coil - do they help stabilize the VDI?

One of the biggest complaints I read or watch about the Xterra Pro is how unstable the VDI is compared to its more expensive and Multi Frequency big Brothers Equinox 600/800 or 700/900. So was wondering if coils from better brothers may be contributing to there better stability?

I believe the answer to stability is in your post: multi frequency.

No one can answer that question .. Minelab is not releasing any XT Pro VX coils to compare to Nox coils

Doubtful that the coils contribute any instability issues. The 600/800 have a 50 TDI scale while the XTP and the 700/900 have 119 TDI scaling. That expanded scaling is more than likely creating the appearance of instability vs the 600/800.
This is ABSOLUTELY the reason for the vast majority of the appearance of instability. I've said so in prior posts.
IMO, it's the biggest mistake that Minelab made with the new Pro.

I have no problem with my ID on the xterra pro.. I have no emi issues with the Xterra pro like i did with the equinox, that thing was literally unusable around power lines wether in single frequency or multi.. Everyone has they're opinions, my opinion is I like the xterra and have no issues

I started my detecting with a whites XLT - 100 plus IDs. It was pretty consistent but some targets were all over the place I always assumed some items were composed of items that may have different ids depending what was resonating back the strongest signal. Also shapes, ground iron content and depth plus probably several other items that affect reflected back signal. I still don’t own the Xterra pro but believe I will soon. Has anyone ever changed freq to see if it was IDs instability changed based on Freq used.

I started my detecting with a whites XLT - 100 plus IDs. It was pretty consistent but some targets were all over the place I always assumed some items were composed of items that may have different ids depending what was resonating back the strongest signal. Also shapes, ground iron content and depth plus probably several other items that affect reflected back signal. I still don’t own the Xterra pro but believe I will soon. Has anyone ever changed freq to see if it was IDs instability changed based on Freq used.
Yes. No noticeable change in stability for me. Most of the usual targets that the XTP hits hard, like US coins will typically have a 2-3 digit “bounce” if they're in decent condition and in a relatively “clean” location like a wood chip tot lot and not too deep. A corroded zinc penny, for example, in not so clean dirt will have a little more bounce. An experienced XTP user will learn to recognize most coin type targets even with a little more TID “bounce”. The dig everything adage still applies if you want to be successful and learn the machine.

Expanded scale + single frequency = little more jumpy scale. We all have been spoiled by lock on id's from multi frequency machines. Single frequency detectors have always been a little "jumpy" but if the numbers remain within 2 or 3 either way of a recurring number its likely a solid target worth investigating. May be junk but its likely symmetrical at least.

Yes - been a while. I remember going to Sovereign GT after every machine I had before had VDI. It did not take long to learn to discriminate via sound. I really believe it was better - one of the most successful hunters I knew was sound only CZ3D. So maybe worry too much about VDI

Yes - been a while. I remember going to Sovereign GT after every machine I had before had VDI. It did not take long to learn to discriminate via sound. I really believe it was better - one of the most successful hunters I knew was sound only CZ3D. So maybe worry too much about VDI
Audio rules.......or at least it did.
This new generation of Minelab machines is different than the previous one in terms of audio, and I'm still learning the nuances of the new audio responses.

Audio rules.......or at least it did.
This new generation of Minelab machines is different than the previous one in terms of audio, and I'm still learning the nuances of the new audio responses.
I hear headsets maybe necessary with new machines to hear the nuances in the Audio.

Ive been a tone only person from day one. I remember reading you'll miss a lot of good targets just relying on numbers.
I started on land with a Shadow X2, I remember telling someone the 'weirder the signal, the better' . I found a diamond tennis bracelet
at a parking meter. Gave me a real bouncy signal. From there I moved to the beach. Only machines that would work in salt water were minelabs, no meter
on Excal & Sovereigns. Wasn't until I bought an Equinox a few years ago, did I ever look at a meter. Today, I own a Deus 2 and the control unit goes in my pocket.
Tone only is the way to go in cleaner environments. If Im hunting schools or parks, yes, I do look at the meter. Just too much junk to sort through.

All depends on where you are hunting. Need to know your site and your machine.

HH
Donna(NJ)