Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are these two PP specifications referring to the same function ?

ToddB64

Hello !

I've been comparing Specifications and Features on the following Pin-Pointers :

-Garrett Pro-Pointer II (The improved Black model)
-Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (The "Orange Carrot")
-White's TRX

The two Garrett models use the term "Proportional audio/vibration pulse rate".
The White's model uses the term "Target Ratcheting".

Are these terms referring to the same function ?

Thanks,

ToddB64

No. I don't think they're talking about the same thing.

Because the "target ratcheting" feature, is a feature which latches on to the strongest part of the signal, thus de-tuning (going quiet) on other surrounding smaller targets. Ie.: it "ratchets" on to the biggest/loudest target. And goes quiet on all else around it. An example of this is is as follows: If you held up the pinpointer to your refrigerator, then quickly held it up near a dime, you would no longer get the dime. Because the pointer has "ratchetted" on to the larger item.

This is VERY ANNOYING. I don't know why anyone likes this. For detectors p/p modes that had this sort of option, most everyone went into the menu and turned it OFF.

The other one being described as "proportional", I believe is talking about this: That the amount of vibrate and audio is directly proportional the size/closeness of the object that the pointer is being held up to. So a very minimal sound and vibrate, means you're still far from your target (or the target is very small). And gets louder as you get closer to the target. Contrast to a monotone . "VCO" would describe the audio portion of this, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks Tom ! :)

Your explanations with examples seem spot-on. Good post !

Cheers !

Todd