Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Are we doing this backwards?

Ronstar

Friend went to the local Quicky Mart last week and gets a 64 Washington in change, she doesnt detect. I got out today and stopped to get a cup of coffee and get handed a 63 Washington as change. Go to park and detect and get five clad quarters almost all in mid 60s, I detect. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG??? 😂😂😂😂

I’ve tried finding stuff in those machines, jkline always just ahead of me.....

Coinstar is the new way to get silver! The dumb thing rejects silver coins and foreign coins of same size. Charges you 11% and you get a voucher kick out for your portion. I’ve not tried turning in cleaned coins but apparently it rejects nearly all of uncleaned.

The one at my credit union is free for members. But finding anything to speak of has not been my experience. In over 8 years of checking i have found one 2017 clad dime.

I went by a coinstar machine awhile back ,, always try to nonchalantly check them ,,, but for some reason,, when I get close to one,, it seems like the store employees are always eyeballing me. Anyway,, this one day , the reject slot was full of coins ,, it took 3-4 hand full scoops to get all the change out of there. I can't remember exactly how much I got that day,, seems little a buck sixty something,,, nothing but clad coins ,, but was quicker retrieving than digging.

Friend went to the local Quicky Mart last week and gets a 64 Washington in change, she doesnt detect. I got out today and stopped to get a cup of coffee and get handed a 63 Washington as change. Go to park and detect and get five clad quarters almost all in mid 60s, I detect. AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG??? 😂😂😂😂
Coin collections stolen by kids & spent in stores -- or someone goofed & turned in some of their silver coins (probably dark colored) along with regular coins found during MD'ING--Otherwise you have the bad luck of finding the lost plain ole Clad coins which are minted by the millions! LOL! Ma

People worried about the good coins often forget about the reject return slot! To check that for myself I would feel like I was stealing! Ma
Me to Ma ,, I kind of feel like I'm stealing if I do take the coins. I really wonder if they can get you for that. The machine didnt give the person credit for the coins,, the stores don't own the Coinstar ones ,, so I don't know what the actual law would be for that . Maybe someone here could clear that up for us .

Me to Ma ,, I kind of feel like I'm stealing if I do take the coins. I really wonder if they can get you for that. The machine didnt give the person credit for the coins,, the stores don't own the Coinstar ones ,, so I don't know what the actual law would be for that . Maybe someone here could clear that up for us .
I thought the store owned or rented them; so that is a good question I guess Coinstar or whoever received the original coins would be owed the REJECTED ones, too! Ma

I thought the store owned or rented them; so that is a good question I guess Coinstar or whoever received the original coins would be owed the REJECTED ones, too! Ma
I don't see where they would be owed the rejected coins ,, because the machine did not pay for the rejected ones,, they should have been collected by the person inserting the coins. Thats just my take on it. But as you originally stated,, I did feel a little guilty about taking them ,, not sure if I should have been or not .

Most definitions of the theft codes include a phrase “theft by possession of lost or missing property”. If you lose property of value and someone picks it up and makes it their own, or, if you are missing property and someone simply finds it and now possesses it then they could technically be charged under a theft code. Court system prefers an “intent to deprive the owner of the use and enjoyment” element to proceed with charges tho.
Money is hard to deal with just because there is no way to prove a coin is specifically yours and no one writes down the serial numbers on paper bills. Lets say you lose a 1916D dime that you just found detecting and another person finds it. Is it theft? How do you report losing already lost property? To make your conscience feel better if you found a $20 bill you can always ask the store if anyone reported losing one..... conventional law dictates one turn in found property to the police and request you get it back after the six months to a year they have it before declaring it as surplus. The police wish you didnt bring it in due to the headache of paperwork it creates. The law applies equally to being charged for keeping a penny as it would the $20 bill but you never see it happen. Same principal applies to every ring you dig up. Problem with ever charging someone with possession of lost or missing money is proving that someone reported it, where it was lost, when it was lost, and whether the money in hand is the same as that lost.
Finders keepers losers weepers. Playground justice prevails.