Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Argument with GF, how many of you buy coins for your collection, vs all found?

Chris(SoCenWI)

Hello all,

I'm cataloging my 2019 finds. Everything in my collection is dug; a few folders are close to full, but I'm pretty positive I will never find all the dates for any given coin type.

How about the rest of you? Am I crazy? (as GF suspects)

Do any of you buy coins to co-mingle with found coins?

Chris(SoCenWI)

I can't remember ever buying a coin, but I was in detecting club (liars club) for a few years and I managed to win a few coins and I noted that in my finds display book.

Sorry but I am not sure who or what GF is. If it stands for Girl Friend just give up, you need to pick the hill you want to die on. LOL

Ron in WV

Ron,

Liar's club... Fishing and Metal Detecting for sure...Probably all sports but I expect the ones where you are usually by yourself are more abused.

At least you are honest about documenting where stuff came from.

Chris(SoCenWI)

Never bought anything old.

after several years {12} of filling folders with only dug coins, it dawned on me that in all likely hood I would never dig the San Francisco mint Lincoln cents and Rosie dimes that were issued in proof or mint sets only. So to fill those holes I have bought coins, but they are marked as such in the folder. also any coin roll hunting coins are marked. My goal in filling these folders is to eventually leave them to my Grandson who is my hunting buddy and shares my passion for " digging that next beep", so the integrity of these coins being "dug only" far surpasses any collector value.

Never bought but one coin, a$20.00 gold piece with a San Francisco minted dated 1906, the year of the great fire. Later I found out I had paid way to much. I got "had". Never had a desire to buy another coin.

I’ve never bought a coin. I don’t get any pleasure from that. Probably because I don’t have the extra money to invest in valuable coinage.

If the coin gives you pleasure in the ownership I see absolutely no reason to not purchase the coin. If the GF objects what else is she going to find fault with that you like doing?? Sounds a bit unreasonable to me. I have a stash of silver coins that I have purchased with clad that I dug. Planning on trading some of the gold jewelry I have found for a gold five dollar half eagle.

To each his own.

:crazy:I have a extra 1835 beautiful capped bust half dime I’d sell lol

Hey Chris,

My Found coin collection doesn't contain any Bought coins. :confused: If the Found Collection, contained Bought coins, then it wouldn't be a Found Collection, would it? Funny how that works. :thumbup:

Rich -

These are just my own thoughts and opinions ...

I have (24) folders with the more common types of coins in them - Wheat's, Indian's, Merc's, State Quarters, etc. all the way up to newer coins that were minted last year.
I only put coins in these folders that I have found with my machine.
I put my rarer coins, Large Cents, Capped Bust, Seated, Barbers, etc. in "coin flips" and they are in a separate album.
It makes sense that the more time you spend researching, handling and collecting coins - the more you will learn about them.

I understand that some people would like to have completed folders and buy a few coins that they will probably never be able to find in the field - that's up to the individual.

But for me ... that would be the same as spending years in the woods trying to get a 12 point Buck - never getting one and going to the Taxidermist and buying one.

Good Hunting !