Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

At least 5 pounds of junk and 1 button

jayhop

I did dig a mercury dime and a couple of pieces of lead but at least 5 pounds of junk, aluminum can slaw, copper pipe but just a few pieces of iron.
F2 at 8 and recovery speed 7 to help sift through the trash.
I was hunting a farm field beside an old house site.
This is probably my best find ever. I did clean it a little too much, it looks better in these pictures than it does now but it's still in really good condition.

hard work but a great find! congrats

Incredible find Jay. I’m sure ANYONE here would dig 5 lbs of junk if they had a shot at something like that...straight shank and all. Some info or history on it please? I know what most coins are, buttons are still somewhat of a mystery on my end...

Thank you.
It's a North Carolina sunburst button from the civil war, it is in very good condition for its type considering it is a dug button. Nc 14 Albert button book.
I have been hunting the same property about a half a mile away from where I found this button. Yesterday I meet the land owner for the first time after only talking to him on the phone for the past 4 years for permission. He told me the history of a house that once stood on his land. After our meeting I went directly to that site. I knew it was going to be trashy because he had burned two old tobacco barns about 6 or 7 years ago on the site.
The original house was about 1840s, it burned down and a second house was built about 1914. The second house was burned by vandals about 5 years ago.
I detected for about 3 to 4 hours and found the button about 30 minutes before I had to leave. My pouch was almost full of trash and hanging heavy.
This is the button after cleaning, I liked it better before I cleaned it.

Really nice button well worth the aggravation

n/t

Now you have the permission and have a good start cleaning up the site hit it again and ….. Nice find by the way!!
HH Jeff

Great find and Save of the ND Sunburst button. It is a real beauty and in very good condition. My hunting buddy found one years ago in a field we were searching.

That’s just a “WOW” from all angles, wading right into the most horrible area looks like it was the right thing to do. To have it in hand must be a thrill. Thanks for the info!

Thank you.
I'm definitely going back but this is one of those places that will never be cleaned out. It's about a couple of acres of field and yard where you can get as many as 10 or so signals per swing.
I have to admit I would have given up after an hour or so of digging trash if the owner hadn't told me the history of the site.
I ordered a 6 inch coil today, hopefully it will help find the good targets at this site.

A thrill yes, I didn't get to sleep till 3 this morning I was so worked up. I'd never sell it because no one would ever give me as much as it is worth to me. But it is the most valuable find I've ever had which does add a little to the excitement.

Wow! I would love to find one of those.

I have seen two NC Sunburst buttons. One found in Charlotte and the other was found up near Hillsborough.

That was surely an exciting day for you!

I have found one before but it didn't have any gilt left on it at all.
I really couldn't believe it, I've found a couple of buttons with gilt left on them before but they were in a sandy field. This one came out of black dirt.
I didn't breath right for 30 minutes after I found it.
I've been back to the site once since I found it and didn't even find a regular flat button. But I did dig a pouch full of trash.

That is a great button! I get excited digging flat buttons but I'd gladly dig 5 pounds of trash for a chance to find a button like that. Congratulations.