Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

AT MAX Depth?? Any proof???

bd1024

Maybe I'm a bit skeptical, , but I have not seen any hard numbers on depth increase (with AT MAX), over the Pro and the Gold. ---- Would like to see the proof, from "regular guy" users. --- Also think I'll give it Garrett awhile to work out the glitches, (bound to be some) ---- At this point, I would bet my AT Pro with the NEL Hunter coil will smoke it in the depth department. ---- (adjustable volume and a better speaker would be nice too) ----............

As per previous response........

[size=large]AT Gold: 18 kHz AT Pro: 15 kHz AT Max: 13.6 kHz[/size]

"The AT MAX has a lower operating frequency then the the AT Gold and AT Pro. As a general rule, higher frequencies will be more sensitive to smaller targets like small gold nuggets, hence you have the higher frequency on the AT Gold. The downside is, you lose a little depth. So.......you gain something and lose something. The AT MAX has the lowest operating frequency of the group, so.......those tiny nuggets you are searching for may not be as sensitive as the AT Gold, however, what you gain is more depth on coin sized objects. Again, you gain something and lose something. And, there have been some hints on some videos about enhanced tweaks to the electronic brains of the machine.

And.......depth is always relative to soil conditions, coil type/size, swing speed and how the machine is set up by the user. Also, some users will dig those quiet whisper of a target, others won't. Given that the AT Max also has an adjustable threshold, those who utilize this feature will get additional depth too.

Looking at the overall picture of the AT Max, it appears it was designed to get the most depth for coins, relics etc. If you want extra depth or extra sensitivity, you have an additional variety of coils available to help you excel in those areas.
"

Depth should also be not your number one reason for getting a metal detector. Discrimination abilities, separation capabilities, available coils (both factory and after market), customer service just to name a few also play into purchasing a metal detector. The AT Pro is known for it's great audio when searching for targets and target separation. The AT Gold is known for it's sensitivity to tiny targets. The new AT Max, as described above, has a lower operating frequency, which should allow it to punch even deeper then the two existing AT Models. There are also new features of the AT Max which are readily available to read on the Garrett Website, which I won't get into, as you can read them yourself. http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_max_main_en.aspx

But honestly.....if you want depth, go and purchase the Garrett ATX Pulse Induction, and you will get more depth then you could ever dream of in some of the most highly mineralized places on earth. That's what it was designed for. However, for most of use, we prefer to use some discrimination to help identifying what we are digging. Digging all coin sized objects at 20"-25" is not a very productive way of spending your day.

Yes...depth is a nice quality of any detector, but as you increase it's depth capabilities, you also lose something else.

bd1024 said:
Maybe I'm a bit skeptical, , but I have not seen any hard numbers on depth increase (with AT MAX), over the Pro and the Gold. ---- Would like to see the proof, from "regular guy" users. --- Also think I'll give it Garrett awhile to work out the glitches, (bound to be some) ---- At this point, I would bet my AT Pro with the NEL Hunter coil will smoke it in the depth department. ---- (adjustable volume and a better speaker would be nice too) ----............
When "regular guy" users get them there will be tests and comparisons. They haven't shipped yet, mid-June I think was the last estimate for delivery. Call it a "Soft Opening". The suspense is NOT killing me...:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

John, I always appreciate your enthusiasm, tireless energy and knowledge of all things Garrett. But about this depth thing...

I totally agree with you about the great AT Pro/Gold audio and other fine attributes. The one performance issue that isn't top of the line is depth. Depth is decent, certainly not bad for a mid-priced detector. But still about 1 1/2 - 2" less than the deepest VLF units with comparable coils.

My hopes for the AT Max are dampened when I see a post like this that discounts the importance of depth.

Hanging the Garrett hat for increased depth on a lower frequency, and only a slightly lower frequency at that, is also disheartening.

Disappointing also is the condescending paragraph suggesting those of us who want to see more depth should buy a PI detector. Depth (with discrimination) is much more than just a nice quality.

marcomo said:
John, I always appreciate your enthusiasm, tireless energy and knowledge of all things Garrett. But about this depth thing...

I totally agree with you about the great AT Pro/Gold audio and other fine attributes. The one performance issue that isn't top of the line is depth. Depth is decent, certainly not bad for a mid-priced detector. But still about 1 1/2 - 2" less than the deepest VLF units with comparable coils.

My hopes for the AT Max are dampened when I see a post like this that discounts the importance of depth.

Hanging the Garrett hat for increased depth on a lower frequency, and only a slightly lower frequency at that, is also disheartening.

Disappointing also is the condescending paragraph suggesting those of us who want to see more depth should buy a PI detector. Depth (with discrimination) is much more than just a nice quality.

In fairness marcomo it's not only the 1.5 drop in KHz. It's the addition of all metal mode in combination with the drop in KHz that will gain you more depth. If the Max is able to get 2 more inches over the Pro would that be enough to wet your appetite ?

Two inches more in discrimination mode while retaining the great AT audio would be amazing.

An additional one inch of depth (again in discrimination mode) actually would make me happy and might be a more realistic hope.

I'm not knocking the AT detectors at all. I've used the AT Pro more than any other detector over the last six years. Depth is the only performance parameter where the AT isn't well above average.

A test I use to make an assessment on comparable depth is in tot lots. We have hunted our local tot lots for close to 15 years so they are pretty clean and it takes a detector with something special to pull coins from below the fill and in the dirt. The AT Pro does this quite well. The only other detector that I have done the same with is the Deus. So in my experience I'd say the AT Pro's depth is without a doubt better than average. At least in my soil.

Depth is going to a subject that will depend on a lot of factors. Soil composition is only one of them, and it can have a radical effect. Take my Florida detector from its inert soil to the Arkansas nightmare soil and you'll see a big difference. Forget air tests. I have found those things to be worthless.

Also, the ATMax isn't even out yet. I remember how people were arguing the virtues of the ATPro back in the day before the detector was even released. When people get their ATMax machines and take them out for testing all over the country we're going to get plenty of feedback. We just need some patience. And I know patience isn't easy.

As to depth, if you want a really deep machine with accurate target id, in general (with a few possible exceptions) you are going to be buying a more powerful detector in the $1,000.00 range and up. There's no avoiding it. The ATMax is being sold at a terrific price point with wireless headphones to boot. Do I expect it to be deep than the ATPro? Maybe a little, but I'm not expecting more than an inch more, if that.

What do like on the ATMax is the additional features it offers and I am very interested to hear how people like them.

So I'll just stay tuned for accurate reports coming in. It shouldn't be too long now.

Best of luck to all.

I truly don't believe Garrett would indicate "increased transmit power and enhanced electronics provides the AT Max with a increased significant depth increase" and not stand behind what they are claiming. To me, that would be completely foolish and a quick way to loose customers.

Good to hear from you, southwind, and glad the AT is doing so well for you.

I do think the AT has decent depth for a mid-priced detector, and I've always felt like it could stand to have the gain cranked a bit and still be plenty stable.

But increasing internal gain can lead to more customer complaints about the detector being too noisy, especially If the detector is marketed to the newbie "Diggers" crowd like the previous Pro and Gold were.

marcomo said:
Two inches more in discrimination mode while retaining the great AT audio would be amazing.

An additional one inch of depth (again in discrimination mode) actually would make me happy and might be a more realistic hope.

I'm not knocking the AT detectors at all. I've used the AT Pro more than any other detector over the last six years. Depth is the only performance parameter where the AT isn't well above average.

If you want depth well above average you will have to learn to work with a true All Metal Mode metal detector. Garrett does not manufacture such detector. Deus uses two true All Metal Mode programs and so does the new Nokta Impact.
Now the one thing many folks don't understand is that huge depth in Discrimination mode is impossible, simply because it is a limit in the IB technology. So any new claim in this regard is rubbnish. People will have to either learn to live with it or to forget the truly deep stuff forever.

Both the AT Max and AT Gold have True All-metal modes....:blink:

Ipooponyou said:
marcomo said:

If you want depth well above average you will have to learn to work with a true All Metal Mode metal detector. Garrett does not manufacture such detector. Deus uses two true All Metal Mode programs and so does the new Nokta Impact.
Now the one thing many folks don't understand is that huge depth in Discrimination mode is impossible, simply because it is a limit in the IB technology. So any new claim in this regard is rubbnish. People will have to either learn to live with it or to forget the truly deep stuff forever.

earthlypotluck said:
Both the AT Max and AT Gold have True All-metal modes....:blink:

True All metal Mode means that when the search coil gets very close to the ground the detector beeps like there is a positive metal target if the sensitivity is high. Do these Garrett models work in this way?
F75 and Deus certainly do.

True, on detectors that have an all-metal mode that is usually the deepest option. Although, interestingly, that was not the case on the F75 Ltd w/ DST I had.

I'll be the first to admit it isn't all about depth. If it was, I'd still have that F75.

"increased transmit power and enhanced electronics provides the AT Max with a increased significant depth increase"----------------- seems pretty vague, Any hard numbers? such as " 10% more transmit power!??? ------"enhanced electronics" ?? also pretty vague------"significant depth increase? " define 'significant------- I love my AT Pro, and use it regularly, separation and recovery are very good. ----(yes, I have 3 "deeper" machines) ----- Just seems to me Garrett could be more forthcoming, conjecture and innuendo is all I'm hearing. ----- I whole heartedly agree that the AT Pro and AT Gold are great detectors. ----- (but a little more depth would be nice)

marcomo said:
True, on detectors that have an all-metal mode that is usually the deepest option. Although, interestingly, that was not the case on the F75 Ltd w/ DST I had.

I'll be the first to admit it isn't all about depth. If it was, I'd still have that F75.

In the US may be so, but tell this to any prospector in Europe or the Middle East where all are searching for ancient history. Just take a look at some archaeological dig and see how deep those guys are digging and where the good stuff are coming from.
Not to mention the gold nugget hunters. Those guys are not even interested in discrimination, much less in any gizmos.
There are many faces on this coin, not just two.

poop, I've never hunted in Europe, prospected for gold or gone on an archaeological dig. I can't speak with authority about any of those pursuits.

I can say that in most of the iron and trash infested areas I detect in the US, the patience of Job wouldn't be enough to allow me to hunt without discrimination.

bd1024 said:
"increased transmit power and enhanced electronics provides the AT Max with a increased significant depth increase"----------------- seems pretty vague, Any hard numbers? such as " 10% more transmit power!??? ------"enhanced electronics" ?? also pretty vague------"significant depth increase? " define 'significant------- I love my AT Pro, and use it regularly, separation and recovery are very good. ----(yes, I have 3 "deeper" machines) ----- Just seems to me Garrett could be more forthcoming, conjecture and innuendo is all I'm hearing. ----- I whole heartedly agree that the AT Pro and AT Gold are great detectors. ----- (but a little more depth would be nice)

Could enhanced electronics mean the addition of the all metal mode like on the AT gold? That would make some sense in depth claims.

Neil said:
"Could enhanced electronics mean the addition of the all metal mode like on the AT gold? That would make some sense in depth claims.
"ENHANCED" is a vague term when used by the marketing department to describe "electronics"... "to raise to a higher degree; intensify; magnify".:sleepy: