Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Audio gain.

Ronstar

Just kind of an interesting moment. I sat out in my side yard and decided to go back into all the settings etc. Set the audio gain up from default and went to look for anything “iffy” of “faint”. Got a two way 19 VDI and deep but no ferro reading, this works!!!
6” down the carrot started vibrating but I couldn’t find any cause so started scooping small palm fulls of dirt out until the hole was quiet. Carrot was locked onto something in the last pile but I could not find it to save my soul (easy Ma Betty….). Finally pulled out a small round object that when removed made the pile quiet. Its about the size of a BB or maybe a heavier shot pellet from a shotgun, but when I scratch it it has an iron orange color plus its kinda heavy for its size.
Moral of the story here is after turning up the gain just a couple notches I could hear other 19 hits that I missed when AG was on default. I wonder what that Seated Liberty dime at 10-11” would have sounded like???

Attachments

• FA820479-9C10-4385-B1BC-C8613C44129B.jpeg
    FA820479-9C10-4385-B1BC-C8613C44129B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 92
  • 030FB207-811C-4AD6-9FA5-A6E103405433.jpeg
    030FB207-811C-4AD6-9FA5-A6E103405433.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
Just kind of an interesting moment. I sat out in my side yard and decided to go back into all the settings etc. Set the audio gain up from default and went to look for anything “iffy” of “faint”. Got a two way 19 VDI and deep but no ferro reading, this works!!!
6” down the carrot started vibrating but I couldn’t find any cause so started scooping small palm fulls of dirt out until the hole was quiet. Carrot was locked onto something in the last pile but I could not find it to save my soul (easy Ma Betty….). Finally pulled out a small round object that when removed made the pile quiet. Its about the size of a BB or maybe a heavier shot pellet from a shotgun, but when I scratch it it has an iron orange color plus its kinda heavy for its size.
Moral of the story here is after turning up the gain just a couple notches I could hear other 19 hits that I missed when AG was on default. I wonder what that Seated Liberty dime at 10-11” would have sounded like???
My audio volume limit on my etrac is on max at all times to hear a deep coin just as loud as a coin on the surface.
I figure that getting yelled at by the etrac is going to get more attention than just getting whispered at.

Last edited:
I reckon I’ll turn mine up a bit. I’m always listening for those faint signals so a couple notches might just help out some. Thanks!

My unsolicited advice? I’d crank that gain to max and purchase a pair of headphones like the Sunray pro golds. On these headphones is a blast limiter switch that will “deaden” the shallower targets and will allow you to enhance the audio on deeper targets. There are also two separate volume controls for each ear to adjust to a comfortable level.

My unsolicited advice? I’d crank that gain to max and purchase a pair of headphones like the Sunray pro golds. On these headphones is a blast limiter switch that will “deaden” the shallower targets and will allow you to enhance the audio on deeper targets. There are also two separate volume controls for each ear to adjust to a comfortable level.
That was game plan from the start and then I discovered the adapter NM supplies to run normal headphones will not work with headsets like my SunRay Pros , White's Pro Stars or Grey Ghosts. I haven't heard back from Dilek on that issue

You need to remember that literally every indicator (audio volume, VDI, depth etc) is only working as intended on coin sized targets. If your target is massive or tiny, the readings will be way off, including the audio volume. A tiny earring on the surface will sound faint and "deep", while a piece of an aluminum pipe 10" deep will blow your eardrums with a solid "surface" signal. There are many techniques to figure out the real size and depth of a target, and audio volume is not one of them.

With that in mind, AG gives you audible depth perception. If your hunting ground contains both modern trash and a deep layer of old stuff, you can set up AG low and only dig faint ("deep") signals. Same with tot lots (which only contain very shallow items of interest), but on tot lots you dig shallow signals. In all other cases, I like running my AG high, sometimes at the max, especially if I'm also running the recovery speed high.

Wonder if that's an old copper platted steel BB.

On the other hand a fad back in the 80'$
Was a nice solid gold chain with gold or platinum beads. From 1/8th inch to 3/8th inch.
18K.
Wife wanted those just couldn't afford them.
I'm sure someone's lost a few. Never found any.
Though I wonder where they'd come in at ?
Low next to iron ?

AG is a somewhat new concept for me to learn. Now that I’ve got the Legend somewhat under control I’m now letting it off the leash.
As I learn thoughts and opinions here I can tailor it to my conditions as learned. I’m just a bit taken back how that detector zeroed in on a tiny orb at 6”.

It registered 19 VDI on the Legend which is foil into aluminum numbers but playing with it last night I’m sure its iron. There are a few more 19 hits surrounding its location so I expect there are more. What it is I have no idea, iron buckshot is a starter but this homestead was 1870s to begin so that makes no sense. Sometype of a tumbling media??? Ball bearings??
Now we get to go back to the campus and start all over again. With the good luck I’ve had this last couple months maybe some rich east coast kid dropped a Colonial here back when school started in the 1880s, I found the orb so why not?? Lol

That was game plan from the start and then I discovered the adapter NM supplies to run normal headphones will not work with headsets like my SunRay Pros , White's Pro Stars or Grey Ghosts. I haven't heard back from Dilek on that issue
I have the NM adapter for my Legend( and Anfibio also). I can use my Killer B headphones & they work fine if you set the mode switch(stereo/mono) correctly on the HPs. The Sun Rays have the same switch to make them compatible with most any detector.

AG is a somewhat new concept for me to learn. Now that I’ve got the Legend somewhat under control I’m now letting it off the leash.
As I learn thoughts and opinions here I can tailor it to my conditions as learned. I’m just a bit taken back how that detector zeroed in on a tiny orb at 6”.

It registered 19 VDI on the Legend which is foil into aluminum numbers but playing with it last night I’m sure its iron. There are a few more 19 hits surrounding its location so I expect there are more. What it is I have no idea, iron buckshot is a starter but this homestead was 1870s to begin so that makes no sense. Sometype of a tumbling media??? Ball bearings??
Now we get to go back to the campus and start all over again. With the good luck I’ve had this last couple months maybe some rich east coast kid dropped a Colonial here back when school started in the 1880s, I found the orb so why not?? Lol
Their were a lot of Red Rider BB guns since 1940.
No matter what age the property.
Kids played everywhere.
Spilled a lot of BB's loading up. .177 caliber.
That definitely looks the right size.

I have the NM adapter for my Legend( and Anfibio also). I can use my Killer B headphones & they work fine if you set the mode switch(stereo/mono) correctly on the HPs. The Sun Rays have the same switch to make them compatible with most any detector.
Very interesting. None of the four headsets that I have that are stereo will work with the NM adapter I have regardless of the switch position. I have not heard back from Dilek when i emailed NM other than that she said she would consult their engineer. Headsets with a 1/8 plug do work with a 1/4 adapter in the NM dongle. I can get them to work if I find that partially inserted magic spot while wearing the headset to hear the signal but there is no signal before or beyond that spot and certainly not "locked in". Now I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the NM adapter/dongle i have

Very interesting. None of the four headsets that I have that are stereo will work with the NM adapter I have regardless of the switch position. I have not heard back from Dilek when i emailed NM other than that she said she would consult their engineer. Headsets with a 1/8 plug do work with a 1/4 adapter in the NM dongle. I can get them to work if I find that partially inserted magic spot while wearing the headset to hear the signal but there is no signal before or beyond that spot and certainly not "locked in". Now I am beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the NM adapter/dongle i have
Running the NM headphone adapter on my Simplex
The Superbee Killer Bees run just fine.

It sounds to me like what is needed is a schematic of the headphone dongle to actually see what wires are connected inside said dongle….This would allow us to make whatever adapter is needed for each of our individual phones…..I went through the same thing with Minelab detectors when ripping them apart and modifying them for my needs….when partially sliding the plug in,you are only allowing certain parts of the plug to connect and those connections might be all that your phones need to operate….If you have a schematic that told you what was what,you could make a better adapter for your phones

Running the NM headphone adapter on my Simplex
The Superbee Killer Bees run just fine.
The killer bees are awesome. I have the white pro headset , they're ok but KB's and Grey ghost are the best, I don't have the legend yet, but I will later, tell ya the truth I'm tired of seeing nox videos on utube, not knocking the nox's lol glad the legend it meeting your expectations, continued success, HHHANK

Yes, if we could just get the pinout for the legend headphone plug,
we could make other headphones work or just try them out to see if they will work.

Same pinout for all Noktas Kruzer, Anfibio, Simplex, Legend.
Found wired headsets work much better audio wise and you will hear the Legend threshold at the lowest setting.

Attachments

• MK M12 Pinout.jpg
    MK M12 Pinout.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 103
  • P3104506.JPG
    P3104506.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 108
Same pinout for all Noktas Kruzer, Anfibio, Simplex, Legend.
Found wired headsets work much better audio wise and you will hear the Legend threshold at the lowest setting.
Where did you get one that long? The one I have barely makes it back to the handle

,,nevermind , I tracked it down:)

Last edited:
I would like to know where to get one that long. The OEM one I have is much shorter.

A quick follow up on the dongle/adapter thing. Richard @ Backwoods did his usual "beyond the call" service thing and sent me another dongle. This one runs all the stereo headsets like it's supposed to do so there is something fishy with the first one. Kudos to Richard for jumping on the problem no questions asked.(y)
(y)