Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Audio Sound Quality & Descriptiveness

earthmansurfer

I'm reading so much lately about the V3i detector and haven't come across much regarding using it's sound to decipher the target. (I've done a lot of searching but searching for "sound" and "audio" returns so much so excuse me if I missed an already answered question.) I guess with so much analysis on the machine one can overlook the obvious target audio response. Currently, even though my detector has VDI, I really like to use the sound as a tester for coins. It just seems that coins give such a nice clear sound, unless there is trash or iron right next to the target of course. I use both a VCO modulated sound for information as well as just a typical beep. The clearer the beep the better the target - usually.

Anyway, my question is "How descriptive, clear, etc. are the sounds/tones to you on the V3(i)?".

Thanks for your time

I've found the audio to be very clear, and very "descriptive' of the targets. I accent this with a headset that does noise cancelling. I've experimented with the noise cancelling on /off and it's a pretty startling difference for me at least.

But the machines tones are exceptional in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I was a bit worried with all the visual aids that the audio was not well done. It seems one has to go back in time (which is when it mattered - pre VID) to often find machines with good audio.

I learned on a Nautilus IIB, so if I get a V3i I will be excited to try the mixed mode (all metal in one ear and discriminate in the other - just like the Nauty.)

That's the beauty of the V3i - you can customize the audio to your liking. - You can set up 1 tone that you like for a specific set of VDI #'s (Coins only) and change the tones of all the other VDI #"s to 0 - This will not affect the discrimination as the detector will still see every target you just won't hear anything.

And the audio quality is great - mixed mode is definitely different - It definitely takes some getting used to when you first start using it.

Thanks for the info. You know I saw someone talking about setting the tones in iron to 0 and that he (and others) seemed to be digging coins that were adjacent to bottle caps and other bits of iron much much more than normal. I got to thinking about it and it made sense. I hunt with my Omega with no discrimination because I like to hear what is there but sometimes there is so much iron that I know I am missing a soft sound of a target coming through. The setting of certain iron VDI's to 0 really got my attention. Speaking of which, have you used the V3i in heavy iron? That is a problem here in Europe and the most popular detectors are often the fastest and have good discrimination. I do see some people are using the V3i on hammered coins in Europe though. I really wonder how fast a recovery it can handle in iron. (Is it as fast as the "fast" detectors out there?)

Regarding Mixed mode, I loved it on my Nautilus and I think that is why I naturally have gravitated to VCO modulated tone as my first choice. I usually find my targets that way and then cross check them with the "beep" - listening for clarity. I basically dig almost everything above iron anyway, as it takes months to really learn what a detector is saying. But, I do see what you are saying, it is a big jump from a typical setup but gives soooo much information, you are getting the all metal and the beep at the same time. Theoretically, that should be damn near the best if you think about it.

Andrea has summed it up very nicely here. If you don't care for the way something sounds you have complete control over how you want it to sound. Recovery Delay can play a big part in duration and rolling decay of a good target. Experiment. Magic's program is a very good example of tailoring a sound scape to suit your needs. I am a tone hunter. I use the sound more than the display. The display is my secondary source for information on a target. I keep my eyes on the coil and where I am swing'in. I learned on the DFX and I see the V3 as a nice upgrade to the sound capabilities of Whites detector line. "The ground is full of sound" Listen to it and find the stuff the last guy missed. In the end sound is a preference.

Jack