Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

audio soundsI

harryh31

On my x terra 705 when setting up in prospecting mode the audio signal for a target is a sharp bleep. Does the audio signal change to a whieeeuuuww sound when in prospecting mode and is this signal the same for all targets. Presumably when you are in prospecting mode you are in all metal mode, how do you discriminate out the signals for iron. ?

sorry error in previous message......should start " On my x-terra 705 when setting up in coin and treasure mode the audio................... etc.

Correct! The audio changes to VCO type audio in Prospector mode. And it is the same for all targets.

Ferrous objects can be discriminated by utilizing the Iron Mask feature. With the Iron Mask maxed out it will not knock out any but the tiniest low conductor non-ferrous bits. If you're just hunting for coin sized targets you can run that way, but if you're after small gold you'll want to back that down to where you'll not miss tiny pickers but still disc out the bulk of the iron.

Many thanks for that !
When you write " with the iron mask maxed out " ............ with the AM at the bottom left of the screen, do you hit the plus button sign up to 20; then if you pass over a ferrous object the audio will sound at the outer edges of the coil, but go silent as the centre of the coil passes over the target. and will the audio sound vary according to the different depths of the same target.
Apologies for asking what may seem elementary questions but at the age of 85yrs it sometimes takes a while to grasp operation procedures and confirmation is always welcome.
I am going to use my 6" DD 18.75khz coil on the beach (damp sand) in a couple days time. I am aware that this will not detect as deep as my 10.5" 7.5khz DD coil and will not cover the ground as quickly. but the slower and less deep, the better for me, and I am not searching for tiny items.

You're right on track Harry.
It will null over the discriminated iron, much the same as it would in C/T mode. The audio pitch and volume variance will depend on size and depth.

O.K. so now we are in prospecting mode and have the iron mask maxed out up to 20.............do we leave the 20 showing on the screen and start searching, or what.........do we have to press the pin point button before starting to searching ? as we do in coin and relic.
What advantages, if any, would the 6" DD 3.75 khz (digger) coil be, over my 6" DD 18.75 khz coil.

Yep! Just start searching.

The biggest benefit of 3kHz over 18.75kHz is the difference in audio response to high conductors vs low conductors. The 3kHz coils will really sound off on copper and silver, but will be less accurate and could miss small gold, whereas the 18.75kHz coils will be less accurate on high conductors but be more sensitive and more accurate to small lower conductors.

Is there an advantage to hunting coins in prospecting mode versus AM? Is one deeper than the other?
homebre from MC

Typically, Prospector Mode is deeper, but it's a very different game. It can be a benefit coin shooting old hard hit sites, but you'll dig a lot of non-ferrous trash if it hasn't been cleaned out yet.

A small coil + Prospector mode = super sensitive to small non-ferrous objects
I've seen a 6" HF DD in Prospector mode running wide open hit on a .02gm spec of gold.

Many thanks Old Longhair,
It's fairly obvious I have never detected using the prospecting mode before, or the 6" coil, going to the beach Wednesday and Thursday will let you know how I got on.
Harry.

If I got a 6" coil, would you recommend HF or LF. My soil is generally mild, I have not gold prospected, and usually hunt coins, jewelry and artifacts.
Thanks

homebre said:
If I got a 6" coil, would you recommend HF or LF. My soil is generally mild, I have not gold prospected, and usually hunt coins, jewelry and artifacts.
Thanks
My first question would be, "Why do you want a 6" coil to begin with?"
If it's for sorting through trash, then it would depend on what sort of trash, and what type of target is most desired in that environment.

Prospector mode is generally best for working in iron plagued and higher mineralized situations, so if the trash is 'other than iron' then Prospector mode will be an exercise that will (at the very least) test your patience regardless of the frequency. Even in iron infested areas I tend to prefer 3kHz in C/T mode due to it's ability to delineate iron and other lower conductors from higher conductors that I typically hunt for.

In all actuality I find the 7.5kHz coils most useful when seeking a variety or desired targets (coins, jewelry, & relics), because it is the most honest as well as a capable compromise. If I'm at the beach where I'm in the 'dig it all' mode, that is where I want a 18.75kHz coil, but in parks or at most old home sites it's the last one I want, because I don't want to dig that much trash.

I had read that the LF small coil is really good for finding silver. That was my only reason for considering it.
Thanks.[sup][/sup]

George Payne did extensive testing years ago, and he determined that 2.7kHz was the optimal frequency to detect a silver dime.
The CTX and E-trac run as low as 2.5kHz, which is what I attribute their success finding silver to. 3kHz is close enough, and that's why it shares that reputation.

Hi Rick
Further to my post on 9th Aug. I managed to get in a couple of hours detecting on the beach ( due to heavy rain showers and strong winds), Using my 705 with 6" DD 18.75kHz coil in prospecting mode, never used either the 6" coil or prospecting mode before. I was pleasantly surprised at the audio responses and the way it "nulled" out when over the iron.
I am aware of the different aspects of the higher and lower frequency coils........but am now considering using my 705 with the 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz coil for searching the beach for a variety of desired targets......would this achieve a happy medium between the higher and lower kHz coils....are there any major disadvantages ?
Harry

I don't foresee any major disadvantages beyond it's not being waterproof, as long as trash density isn't too high. It won't be as sensitive to tiny objects as a 6" coil, and you may well have to slow your sweep speed a bit more due to the total volume within the detection field being scanned, but it's certainly worth a try. If it doesn't give the results that you're after you can always go back to the 6".

harryh31 said:
Hi Rick
Further to my post on 9th Aug. I managed to get in a couple of hours detecting on the beach ( due to heavy rain showers and strong winds), Using my 705 with 6" DD 18.75kHz coil in prospecting mode, never used either the 6" coil or prospecting mode before. I was pleasantly surprised at the audio responses and the way it "nulled" out when over the iron.
I am aware of the different aspects of the higher and lower frequency coils........but am now considering using my 705 with the 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz coil for searching the beach for a variety of desired targets......would this achieve a happy medium between the higher and lower kHz coils....are there any major disadvantages ?
Harry

Harry

Keep in mind that with the MF coils some small gold items will bounce iron to foil in disc mode. I found several pieces at the beach and shallow water with the original 70 model that did just that.

Tom

Used the 705 with 10.5" DD. MF coil, in AM prospecting mode for the first time, on ploughed field today, excellent results over good targets, but some targets which gave multiple pitched sounds and then vanished altogether when continuing to sweep over them confused me, what is the machine trying to tell me when this happens?. This set up was very good at identifying extremely small targets that other detectorists had missed.

Likely it was a mineral anomaly that the machine took a moment to recognize as such.
Sometimes it's just the machine telling you to slow down a bit more. Remember, when you're looking deeper in Prospecting mode there's more in the detection field at any given time that the machine has to scan and respond to. That takes a tad more time.