Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

auto gb

johno

would turning off auto ground balance be like turning on loctrac on other machines??? another words is when you once ground balance the machine and disable auto.. it no longer ground balances as you move along.. im assuming ground balance is same as tracing on other machines,, but not sure.HH

yes,,,,, but the auto GB on a ML is impecable,,,, it makes the ground disapear,, the only time you should use manual is when at the beach for the most part,,,

If you do NOT highlight and select Enable GB, then the CTX 3030 operates in a manner similar to a Tracking mode on some detectors. I like to think of it as having ground balance on the fly. This is the preferred setting for areas without highly mineralized soil. If you encounter soil with high levels of mineralization, you may benefit from establishing and locking in a ground balance. To do this, open the Ground Balance Quick Menu, where you will find two lines....Enable GB and Start GB. To initiate ground balance, highlight Enable GB, press Select, and a green check mark will appear in the box, indicating that you have implemented the Ground Balance functionality. Then you need to highlight Start GB, press Select, then ground balance your CTX 3030 by raising and lowering the coil from a height of one foot, to just above the surface. Make sure prior to ground balance that there is nothing metallic under the coil. And when bobbing the coil, do not touch the coil on the ground. During the "bobbing" process, you will hear a tone from the CTX that diminishes as you perform the procedure. Once the proper GB is obtained for that particular location, you will get a message saying the GB procedure is complete. Minelab recommends using Ground - Coin Separation when using the Ground Balance functionality.

As a newbie, I'm a little confused. I thought you had to auto ground balance, but from what you say, auto ground balance isn't necessary unless you have heavy mineralization. So, when not enabled, you don't have to ground balance. The machine does it "on the fly". Correct me if I'm wrong after reading your post, Randy. All that seems confusing. "Aurto"in the GB almost seems like a "Manual" GB. Hope I got it right. Taking my CTX3939 out for trip number three, today, and want to set it up correctly. So much too learn....so little time.

keep on diggin'

jimmyk in Missouri

the 3030 is in auto GB as default,,,, you have to "enable" GB to do it manually,,,, damnned Ausie's anyway, water spins the other way down there also,,,, !!!!

The terms Auto, manual and tracking are confusing with the CTX. Partly because we've not had the ability to change the Ground Phase on previous FBS models. Let me try to explain it a little better than I may have done initially.....By design, FBS2 technology neutralizes the effects of mineralization. However, over the years, some have found that their Explorers or E-TRACS would not provide the same depth or stable TID in highly mineralized sites as it might in moderately mineralized soil. So with the introduction of the CTX 3030, we have the best of both worlds. For those of us hunting in moderately mineralized soil, we simply leave the CTX as is, by not Enabling GB. This allows the software to neutralize the mineralization for us, on the fly, just as it did with the Explorer or E-TRAC. However, for those hunting in highly mineralized sites, there is the option of implementing a set ground balance. This is done by Selecting Enable GB, then Start GB. At this time, the CTX will then set a ground phase level (ground balance) based on that exact location, by the user bobbing the coil. Although you had to select the GB mode manually, the CTX selects the ground phase setting automatically. Note that the setting you just selected is locked in and will not change as you hunt. In order to change it, you simply do another GB procedure by selecting Start GB and "re-bobbing" the coil. If you want to shut off the ground balance and let it go back to the factory default "ground neutralizing" mode, simply select Enable GB again and remove that check in the little box. At that time you will be back to the default setting that allows the CTX to neutralize the effects of the ground "on the fly". HH Randy

Thanks, Randy. I'm finding a lot of assuptions, or sketchy info in the owners manual. We need a book like we had for the Explorer/Etrak. This forum is a big help.

jimmyk in MIssouri

PS: Today's hunt got rained out.

JK

Here I been running my CTX in enable the whole time and only doing a ground balance once in a while, I just shut it off now as our ground I hunt is mild mineralization. I wonder if this is why I get so many chirps and iffy signals. I just hope to be able to get out and try it again with it shut off.
I am still learning this detector and had it since they came out and only used it a few time because of health reasons and do fair, but dig a lot of trash that is iffy. My E-Trac ran much smoother and now maybe that I shut off the ground balance it will run smoother.
The CTX like any detector does take a little time to get used to it so I know I have to stick with it to do good, just like I did with the Sovereign and remember not to give up.

Thanks for the info as it should help me.

Rick

I've been hunting a certain park in auto +3 and the machine has been running at 14 to 17 with the suggested level from 10 to 14 or so. So with these low sensetivity levels in Auto does this indicate "highly" mineralized ground and should I try manual GB at this location. Tried manual Sens a few times at 20 to 24 but switched out cause of more variation in threshold and less stable operation. I tried Manual again today and set to 17 and hunted and got a penny at 5.5" which is my deepest so far. I was in ground coin and had Auto GB engaged.

The soil here is loamy with lots of organics and really doesn't look mineralized. There is a power line nearby so this may be affecting the Sens levels.

Rick(ND) said:
Here I been running my CTX in enable the whole time and only doing a ground balance once in a while, I just shut it off now as our ground I hunt is mild mineralization. I wonder if this is why I get so many chirps and iffy signals. I just hope to be able to get out and try it again with it shut off.
I am still learning this detector and had it since they came out and only used it a few time because of health reasons and do fair, but dig a lot of trash that is iffy. My E-Trac ran much smoother and now maybe that I shut off the ground balance it will run smoother.
The CTX like any detector does take a little time to get used to it so I know I have to stick with it to do good, just like I did with the Sovereign and remember not to give up.

Thanks for the info as it should help me.

Rick
I would sugest turning auto GB back on (uncheck the box by "enble GB") and run it at auto +3, and dig only repeatable, solid targets,,,, the CTX is very good about telling you what is trash and what is good,,, the chirps are trash,,, you will know when your over a good target the machine will lock on and bark at you !!!!

I had the box checked before and now I cleared the box and been running auto +2 for sensitivty, sorry if I explained it wrong in my post.

Rick

Hunt ON !!!!!!