Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back after 18 month absence--question about hunting for gold

Hi, everyone,

The docs have given me the ok to return to detecting after a year and a half away due to a bum shoulder and the surgery that came after. Seems I had arthritis, bursitis, tendonitis and more all in that shoulder, but it feels pretty good now after the surgery and physical therapy. Anyway, I'm ready to get after it again!

Picked up the detector the other day and found I had forgotten a whole bunch. I'm not real technical, and when I try to read the owner's manual, I get through the first six or seven words of a sentence and then I catch my attention drifting off because I don't follow it easily. I guess experience will be the best teacher, and the more I go detecting, the more I will remember.

A couple of my wife's relatives have invited me to go gold detecting with them later this month. I've never done that--been a coin and jewelry hunter in the past, so I'm hopeful people can give me some tips on how hunting for gold is different. I guess I should use the "prospecting" setting, but is there anything else I should know? Thanks in advance for any help, and if you care to send me advice, please remember to keep it simple.

Oh, one last question for now--have there been any software changes since January of 2011 that I should know about? Thanks!

Mike
Eugene, OR

one thing for sure, if you dont already have a 4x6 dd or at least a 6x10 dd coil, you should prolly get at least one of the two.

the pros here im sure will go into more detail. but they will likely want to know where your going to hunt.

good luck

I do have a smaller coil--but did not know that was going to help for gold. I'm totally new at gold-hunting and could use any advice at all.

Thanks,

Mike

are you talking about natural gold or jewelry?

and where r u hunting, state, type of soil etc.

you mentioned prospecting, so yes one of the coils i mentioned are good for smaller areas like under brush, between rocks. also better for mineralized ground like out west. bigger coils will go deeper but then u have more ground noise to deal with.

hope that helps some.

I'm in Oregon and where I'm going is evidently something I will not know until the person who's taking me tells me to get out of the car.
We are supposedly looking for gold where gold has been found--tiny little pieces of raw gold, I guess. I don't know how small the V3i will "see" gold. I've never used the Prospecting program before...This will all be a totally new experience for me so any tips are welcome. Probably it will be more practice than finding, but I'm game to try.

Thanks again,

Mike

In past posts, some very small flake finds were reported if I remember right. The secret is a small coil, a stable detector and getting your coil over the gold. Good luck with the hunt.