Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back to "Flowing Hair" Field for more oldies...

I finally got back to the site where I found the Flowing Hair Half Dime. My friends were convinced there were no targets left after digging many coppers after I left that day. They claimed they "got it all" with their Minelabs. I was not convinced, so I returned and headed right for the spot they hit the hardest. Right next to one of their filled in holes I got a deep repeatable broken signal reading 9.5 inches. I dug out a huge plug, but it was not deep enough. Using my pinpointer as a gauge, I estimate the target was approximately 11 inches down. It was the first of two King George II Halfpennies I dug. I also dug many old buttons. The concave ones are pewter. Some sounded identical to "hot rocks", others like deep iron. They gave either very low, single digit or negative VDI numbers. If I was rejecting any of the higher negative numbers I would have missed these. This is why I accept -40 to +95.

[attachment 191517 001.JPG]
[attachment 191518 003.JPG]

[attachment 191519 001.JPG]

I was also lucky enough to dig a Barber Dime on video. I thought it was going to be my third copper of the day, but I am not disappointed.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvP_iXjsUJs[/video]

Great hunt Neil, you have a really nice place to hunt there. Those old coppers look pretty good considering they are probably over 200 years old and what really sets you back for a second is that those coins could have been used by any number of our country's founding fathers.

Nice find's! Thanks for the Video.

Nice Finds, Can I ask what kind of coil that is and how does it compare with the stock DD Whites sends out? Would it be worth me buying one? Thanks

I will answer this as best as I can while I run the risk of having it closed. I do not want to make a comparison between them, but each has its advantage. The 12" x 10" SEF "Butterfly" coil was put on my V3i at the end of November and has not come off since. The main thing I like is that it has an extra 2 inches of coverage from front to back. I can run "hot" with the gains nearly all the way up. It is really great in the old farm fields I have been detecting where there is little trash.

I should go back and put the D2 on now that I have not used it in a while to see what I think of it.

The SEF is a bit heavier than the D2, and it is incompatible with TX Boost.

I think I may give the D2 another try for a while beginning tomorrow.

[attachment 192043 cop.gif]

[size=large]NO ONE HAS HAD A POST CLOSED OR MOVED, by me, UNLESS THERE WERE DETECTOR COMPARISONS.[/size]

We discuss, pin pointers, diggers, phones and coils all the time. If the detector comparisons could have been handled in a civil matter the administrators would not have had to stop them. Most of them are our sponsors.

I like the 10X12 SEF and that is what I use most of the time as well, but I don't have the luxury to have the gain set over 10 and Boost doesn't work for me. I don't think I am losing or gaining any depth with the SEF over the D2, it is just the coil I have used for many years ever since Kellyco started selling them back in the DFX days. Early testing of the SEF for compatibility with the V3 indicated that the ground noise was a little quieter and depth was the same with the D2. Maybe the newer SEF coils are better :shrug: but I haven't heard of any design changes and in any production run, you will have some coils that work better than others and it sounds like Neil has one of the better ones.

More very nice finds Neil. I have to laugh everytime I read about someone cleaning out a spot. I've done the same thing with my machine...gone back and found stuff right next to where I'd dug a plug 3 weeks earlier; all at a site I have exclusive rights to. Even had it happen in a park. Dug my oldest Indian (1865 - old for central Nebraska), and had a friend find a wheat 6" away 5 minutes later. Just a matter of where the coil swings.

Congratulations on the finds and thanks for the video.

NebTrac