Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back up / second detector

Dan'O

I got into this exciting hobby last year. After much research and budget chrunching I picked up a barely used 6000 Pro XL with the standard 9", a Blue Max 1500 and a 5.3 coil. I coupled that with a Harder Pro pointer and a set of headphones. I have been coin hunting mostly, which is simplified with the great ability of this macvhine to sort them out. I've had alot of fun and some pretty good finds. I'm hooked! That's why i'm considering a second or back up detector - I can't Imagine having the time and not being able to go out due to a needed repair or whatever else could happen. I have been thinking that having an identicle unit would be best - learning curve and all. But the thought of learning a different/new machine is to say the least, intriguing. I was wondering if there might be any advantages to getting something else-other than another Pro XL.
I would appreciate any help. THANKS

I tend to think that a back up should either use the same coils etc. as your main detector unless you want a detector with different capabilities such as a water machine. Having two detectors of the same or very similar models also makes the transition from one to the other, simple. My two bits.
BB

I think the XLT uses the same coils as the Pro XL
longer learning curve.
The MXT PRO is a turn on and go detector very short learning curve.
Different frequency than the XLT so the coils would not work.15 kh

It uses the same search coils as your 6000 Pro XL. The 6000 Pro XL is a four filter detector with a faster sweep speed requirement, But..... with the 5.3 coil and a hot signal balance it can be swept a little slower for better separation in the trash. The IDX Pro (discontinued 2005) is a real good trash hunter that can be swept slow, same battery pack and same coil selection as the 6000 Pro XL, It would be an excellent two detector combo IMHO, because I have the same combo of detectors, like them both.

Randy

I appreciate all the replys. I do have another question. Are there any advantages to getting a higher frequency machine? I don't mind having to buy new coils if the come with advantages. I will not be gold prospecting or plan on any under water searching, just older homes, parks, fields, wooded/forest areas and the occasional shoreline. I'm also concerned about ruggedness. Its getting warmer and I'm getting anxious. Thanks again.

For an easy to learn and use, serious detector, it is hard to beat the White's MXT or MXT Pro.

As Hombre stated, a good compliment that would share the same search coils and provide you with a slow-motion, quick-response performance would the the IDX Pro. If you had that you might mount the 5.3 Eclipse on the IDX Pro to work in the trashier sites and use the 950 on the 6000 Pro XL. I used to use that duo, also.

A 2nd suggestion, if you're not troubled with the sweep speed of the Pro XL with an increased Signal balance (which I always do), you might want another moderate-to-fast sweep detector with the XLT. I am a big fan of the XLT which was discontinued last year. I'll be picking up a new XLT before spring gets here. Again, the same search coils.

The 3rd and 4th suggestions are both very similar. They are the MXT or M6. The MXT or new MXT Pro are a more versatile detector with an All Metal search Prospecting mode, as well as Discrimination. The MXT Pro also features a Ground Grab, and Back-light, plus it has the 7-tone Audio ID as found on the M6.

The other pick is the M6. It is based on the MXT platform but lacks the All Metal mode. It has either a single tone audio or 7-Tone Audio ID at the flip of the trigger toggle. Both the MXT's and M6 models also have a very fast automated Ground Balance and then they can either Auto-Trac or be 'locked' to hole the GB setting.

All of these detectors share the same drop-in 8-AA battery tray and they all have the rear-mount headphone jack. My oldest son used to use an IDX pro, like I did, but Sunday he made the step up to the M6 because it offers all the added performance that he needs. He's not a prospector or water hunter, just enjoys hitting parks and schools and some of the out-of-the-way homesteads, cabins and other good places.

Monte