Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Batteries are sealed

Batts are a concern to me too. If they are sealed I would guess its a sealed battery pack thats waterproof so
they dont need to seal the grip also.
Good news is you can run it on a USB power pack. That way you can at least send it out during winter down time.
I think since ML as of a week ago left the question "to be determined" they may decide to sell them but void
any remaining warranty. That would work for me & ML.
LISTENING ML ????

Tom
LFOD !

Batteries have advanced by huge margins in the last decade. They no longer develop charge memory, hold a lot more power, and can go through thousands of discharge and recharge cycles while still maintaining 90% of original battery life. What is the bigger problem here, a battery failing after 3, 4, 5 years or water intrusion destroying the battery packs because users don't takethe time to properly clean o-rings and channels? Anyone who has followed the CTX already knows the answer to that!

Who knows you might be able to change out yourself ...I know I had an XP and seen vid. On how to change out the one in the coil...:smoke:

It will be an adaption for me to the integrated battery and making sure I am charged before heading out rather than bringing along a spare battery. I have a Racer 2 with wireless Headphones that have to be recharged. Love the wireless, still getting used to the recharging thing. So far, no emergencies.

The good thing about having everything sealed, battery included, is that I don't have to keep the o-ring lube handy or worry about getting sand in the seals and destroying the thing. :yikes:

Keeping up with the new stuff keeps the brain working. Pro's and Con's to all of it.

Rich (Utah)

One negative aspect of the sealed battery I can see is travel. I always take the battery out, or put in an empty battery pack so that the detector can't turn on in my luggage. We'll have to see how the power button placement works out. It might not be an issue at all, or it could lead to accidental power up in your baggage and then TSA being called for all noise and racket coming out of the bag. Actually, with the sealed LION battery, the control section would have to go in our carry-on..... Just have to see how this plays out.

U can strap on a External battery that has a USB plug on it (the weigh hardly nothing) .I have 4 of them I use to charge cell phones with. I have used it as power for my wireless headphones in the field.

If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined. Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last three to four years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years.

jerry123 said:
If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined. .
There would also be a voltage limiting circuitry that 1) allows only the specific voltage to to used regardless of max voltage in the battery pack (aka no loss of performance as the batteries are used) and 2) once the batteries drop below the usable voltage the detector shuts off so you can never drain the batteries too low. Same thing with the CTX, same with the E-Trac, and just about every other modern electronic with rechargeable batteries.

I was on YouTube reading the comments about the Equinox promotional video that was just released and this was the response from Minelab to someone who asked "how many times you can charge the lithium ion battery before it needs replacing thats if it can be replaced ?"?

Minelab Metal Detectors
1 day ago
Hi Shane, we'll have more info on battery care and maintenance in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual. Rest assured, this has been tested extensively and is expected to exceed the detector warranty period for typical use. Yes, the battery can be easily replaced. Also, you can plug in a standard USB power bank and run the detector from that while the internal battery is charging. Regards, Minelab.

Jerry.... im told its more that when the charge gets below a certain level the CHARGER .. most of them being smart chargers just fail to recognize the battery. slow charging some times brings them back. I know there is a third wire which allows EACH cell to be checked unlike other recharables which can have one or more cells less charged.

Hummm easily replaced? by ML or us? Now........ is it a unique battery like those ikelite charger caps that cost $75.

dewcon4414 said:
Jerry.... im told its more that when the charge gets below a certain level the CHARGER .. most of them being smart chargers just fail to recognize the battery. slow charging some times brings them back. I know there is a third wire which allows EACH cell to be checked unlike other recharables which can have one or more cells less charged.

Hummm easily replaced? by ML or us? Now........ is it a unique battery like those ikelite charger caps that cost $75.

Looking at the battery packs inside the CTX, they probably went the same route and simply built a pack from from cheaply available components.

We have chargers in the auto business that WILL NOT charge a stone dead battery. We must use an old “analog” charger to bring it up slowly to the point where the digital charger will take over.
I just bought a GoPro HERO5 Session that also has an integrated battery,but it is supposed to last “many many” years before it shows any sign of deterioration. Everything falls apart sooner or later,in physics it’s called “entropy”. I’m expecting many videos to be made with no problems for a long time,as we should expect many hunts with the Equinox. With 2 years and COUNTLESS hunts and charges on my CTX battery,it doesn’t appear to have lost one iota of “umph”,same with WM10,which is....integrated.

jerry123 said:
If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined. Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last three to four years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years.

1st lets make this perfectly clear I'm not a battery "engineer/designer/expert" I'm not sure how the battery could become completely discharged if the detector shuts of automatically when the voltage drops below "normal" operating levels

As to other concerns about battery life my original ctx batteries although not sealed are still going strong "10 hour hunts" after 5 yrs of use.

The sealed aspect hasn't stopped me or anyone else from buying another major brand of detector so I don't think it will make any difference in the Big picture.

Just my 2 cents worth!

HH Jeff

My guess is that Minelab will sell a propitiatory battery pack with perhaps new seals for the compartment door at the base of the handle. Since the batteries should outlast the warranty period, Minelab would not be of the hook for the replacement of those batteries, or, any leaks that occur after the battery replacement due to faulty seals/installation errors. I doubt Minelab will require service for this, but we will see....

When The battery fails i will take mine apart. I do not do any water hunting so it would not be a problem for me.

jerry123 said:
Don't like the batteries being sealed . Will have to send in to have them swapped out when they start to fail.

This was a response from Minelab on You-Tube, to a guy asking about the battery. Straight from the horse's mouth!!

Minelab Metal Detectors
2 days ago
Hi Shane, we'll have more info on battery care and maintenance in the EQUINOX Instruction Manual. Rest assured, this has been tested extensively and is expected to exceed the detector warranty period for typical use. Yes, the battery can be easily replaced. Also, you can plug in a standard USB power bank and run the detector from that while the internal battery is charging. Regards, Minelab.

yep a closed battery not replaceable by the user is not going to help the user or minelab and if it is sealed we will work it out ctx battery was a pretty easy fix.

AJ