Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

battery discharge

balenim

Can anyone tell me an effective way to completely discharge the battery on an SE? I'm not sure if NiMH batteries develop "memory lock" like some types do but I'd like to completely discharge the battery for a complete recharge. Or, is it even necessary?

Thanks for your help!

Balenim

NiMH does not deliver memory the way the older NICADs did.
NiMH when new, usually need 3 - 5 charge/discharge cycles for full potential run time.
Chargers, the way I see it, can make a difference. Some condition chargers may discharge, then cycle for a full charge.
Smart chargers can analyze individual cells and monitor the charge to each cell. Some now have a display (LCD) providing data on each cell.

If your wanting to discharge cells and your charger does not provide this, just run the cells in something like a flashlight until they are exhausted.
If your concerned with a sealed battery pack, either hook up a load to the pack taking the voltage and mAh ratings, or maybe run it in the machine set aside and have the back light display on which provides additional drain. Of course the machine will shut down once the voltage drops below the minimum threshold operating voltage.

My conditioning chargers (have 3 of one type and 2 of another type) are a few years old, and my highest AA cells are 2300 mAh rated.
I should look into the current smart chargers and newer tech batteries. Maybe next time I swing into a local electronic store like Fry's.
Anyway, I'm not uppity on today's battery chargers and cells, so maybe others will provide input and also there must be a wealth of information on the Internet to keep a few raining day hours occupied. In most cases I believe higher mAh ratings give longer run time but not in ALL cases.
My cameras gave me short run time with alkaline and the NiMH provides much longer (or several more shots). It's a voltage drop threshold load demand.
My older 2000 mAh batteries are marked 7/03 (July 03) and still work fine in detectors, digital cameras, etc. The others are 2300 mAh, and I should have marked them also with a permanent marker when I first started using them - lazy I guess. My chargers take all night so they are not the quick chargers. I tried a quick a quick charger a couple years ago and the batteries cooked and swelled. Todays stuff probably have taken care of that problem, or I would hope so.
[attachment 79852 Charger.JPG]