Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Battery to connector seal for Excalibur

Cameraniac

I'm trying to locate some new seals as mine is wore out and I don't trust it any more. I've contacted Minelab and was told that I would receive a call but never did. Reminds me of Kellyco. I've contacted them twice in the last week or so to inquire about having some work done to my Excal. (o-rings and maybe headphones) and got the same ... no return call.

I thought I saw a source mentioned in one of the posts here in this forum but I'll be darned if I can locate it. Why does locating these simple parts have to be so frustrating?

Does anyone know a source for the cable connector to battery seal?

Thanks - Bill

bootyhoundpa said:
You can make your own out of thin inner tube rubber from a bicycle tire...
Thanks for the suggestion but to obtain the same thickness of the original seal, I would have to stack pieces of the innertube and that just doesn't sound, to me, like a good alternative. I'm not discounting the idea, completely, just hoping for a better one ....

The charger adapter normally comes with one gasket. If your charger adapter has one, see if it is in better shape than the one on the detector. Could use that one until you can get a new one.

I've actually had excellent service from Kellyco; and very recently at that. I'd try again.

tvr said:
The charger adapter normally comes with one gasket. If your charger adapter has one, see if it is in better shape than the one on the detector. Could use that one until you can get a new one.

I've actually had excellent service from Kellyco; and very recently at that. I'd try again.
Thanks, tvr but That gasket no longer exists.

Not sure why I never got a call back. I'd rather get hung up on than not receive a call-back after being told twice that I would.

Again, thanks!

Hummm. That is odd because Barry and Dave have been pretty good about either being there or calling me back. Isnt there a kit....seems ive seen one? Anything to do with the battery connector seem pricy.

dewcon4414 said:
Hummm. That is odd because Barry and Dave have been pretty good about either being there or calling me back. Isnt there a kit....seems ive seen one? Anything to do with the battery connector seem pricy.
I've seen the high dollar, coil wear kit (I think that's what it's called?) but it doesn't contain the gasket that I need. Maybe I'll get lucky and find out that Minelab decided to just send me the gasket and that a return phone call was unnecessary. I hope that's the case because I found two rings the last time out and I'm chomping at the bit to get back out there!

you could in a pinch use two orings of the proper thickness around the two power pins until you get the seal. The seal that is on there now only seals around the pins if you look at it closely..

Cliff

nagov said:
you could in a pinch use two orings of the proper thickness around the two power pins until you get the seal. The seal that is on there now only seals around the pins if you look at it closely..

Cliff
Good idea, Cliff. Thank you for that. Heck, I should have thought of that ...

A O ring might work. The gasket is 1/8th inch thick around the prongs. You can get a round gasket the same thickness and i believe 2 1/2 round then cut some out and punch the holes with a leather punch.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
A O ring might work. The gasket is 1/8th inch thick around the prongs. You can get a round gasket the same thickness and i believe 2 1/2 round then cut some out and punch the holes with a leather punch.

Dew
Another good idea. Thanks, Dew.

I'm going to go to Napa tomorrow and see what they've got to offer.

example of the gasket i was talking about. Just a couple of moon cuts ......

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
example of the gasket i was talking about. Just a couple of moon cuts ......

Dew
Where did you find that big ole washer, Dew?

True value hardware with spec as mentioned. 1/8th thick. I believe it was called an auto gasket for a Ford. They sell 12X12 sheets of the stuff for about $5, but for no more than you need these might do the trick. An Ice pick seemed to be the perfect center punch before using a leather puch. Ive never understood why the gaskets were made the way they are, but then ML leaves me scratching my head on a lot of their design issues.

Dew

I ordered a hole punch today, wont be in until the end of the month. Then i may punch a couple out and try them. I cut one out with sizzers leather punched the hole and thou not pretty does work.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
I ordered a hole punch today, wont be in until the end of the month. Then i may punch a couple out and try them. I cut one out with sizzers leather punched the hole and thou not pretty does work.

Dew
I bought one of those washers and I have to say that I think it might be too stiff for the application.. I'm a little worried about the nut loosening up too easily, decompressing the gasket and allowing water to seep in. I don't know ... what do you think?

Tried three different places, looking for some o-rings that might work and couldn't find any that were thick enough while still retaining a small enough inner diameter.

Still, no return call from Kellyco or Minelab.

I have had better luck sending Kellyco an E-Mail to their Customer Service department. The young lady that answered my email even talked to their Service Department for me as they did not return calls or answer emails.

GeorgeinSC said:
I have had better luck sending Kellyco an E-Mail to their Customer Service department. The young lady that answered my email even talked to their Service Department for me as they did not return calls or answer emails.
It was the young lady that I talked to when I called. She told me that she would have the service department call me. Anyways, I might just break down and make the three hour drive to see them in person. My guess is that they are just too busy to call. That or the message was not relayed.

Call an ask to talk to Barry in repairs. I highly doubt the nut will lossenstiff or not it should work as long as its not to thick.

In case anyone wants to know ... the gaskets are available from Ikelite and the part # is 0017. The cost is $3.00 each.