Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Be Aware Of Your Surrounding And Detect with A Friend

asiandigger

Been detecting for 3 years now only encounter it twice, the 1st time it happened, a big Samoan guy and I were detecting a school when 2 teenager hope the fence and approach my Samoan friend with the intention of steeling his detector, because he was on the ground digging, they didn't realize how big he was and found out the hard way. Second time happen today, my hunting buddy (white, 58 years old and handicap) and I were out a school parking detecting when 3 guys approach him and from my distance they were in a position to rob him, also some other stuff like you can't dig here and someone broke his ankle because of you. I was about 100 yards away and I step in an gave them a shout and they back off, but I know one guy was acting as a look out while the other 2 was going to do bad intention. LOL being 5'5 (39 years) asian with mauy thai fighting experience behind me I wasn't afraid. Anyway just be aware of your surrounding and hunt with a friend.

Good advise things are getting bad out there, don't let anybody surprise you keep watch.

Ron in WV

Its never happened to me as yet in all the years that i have been detecting,must admit i prefer to detect alone,but of course one has to be on your guard all the time,i carry a stainless steel spade with me which is pretty sharp and could if need be protect me from anyone who has a go at stealing my detector,but the damage that a spade can inflict increases the odds in my favour.Of course if they have a firearm then that is a different story,but the odd of that happening are pretty remote.

Also i always carry a plastic 'JIF' lemon juice container in my pocket its about the same size as a real lemon,but the top can be flipped off in a nano second and directed at the attacker which does not blind them but certainly stops them in their tracks and also gives you vital seconds too get away and costs pennies.

Just my personal thoughts of course.

Whenever I land dig, I always bring my predator raven shovel, even if I'm popping coins with a screwdriver and not using it. It is one mean looking shovel, it'll make an assailant think twice.

My pinpointer in its holster can look like a stun gun? Since its orange, highly visible.

A 45acp hidden away also gives peace of mind. However I rarely carry it unless in a bad or unknown area.

It can happen sure enough but I never had anyone even try it and I detected in some of the worst places when I do feel unsure of my surroundings I use single cup headphones so I can hear someone approach... but my diggers are always medium to large knives , and my probe can be a weapon , but useless if faced with a gun . And not even a cop has ever questioned why I had them and many time I found a cop watching or even approached me to talk about other sites to detect . However , Pepper Spray and Stun Guns are readily available so it might be something to think about carrying . IMHO , Woodstock

Just remember all you gun, and weapon totters out there...
A I feared for my life situation can be far different from a simple robbery attempt. Or harassment .... You will have the burden of proving you felt in fear for your life.

I know your thinking innocent till proven guilty.. That just isn't the total picture in todays world.

Not only could, and will, you at the least, face legal charges..and a Grand Jury decision ..but you can bet under some situations you will face a civil liberties situation after the fact.

It will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars in defense . and maybe your life, for a few hundred dollars metal detector.

Yes we know your brave...but be smart too... It's just not worth what you will go through.

I know you hard cases will think BS Elton..I can take care of it. Yes you can..But not without a huge price ,and some type of penalty potential..

elton said:
A I feared for my life situation can be far different from a simple robbery attempt. Or harassment .... You will have the burden of proving you felt in fear for your life......

Just the mere sight of a firearm can/has thwarted would be nar-do-wells.
I personally would not carry at a public site for the same reasons you mention. Instead i don't take chances detecting high risk areas. I just don't do it.

My digging tool is always prominently held for all the world to see.
I don't use full cup headphones because they're sweaty in hot weather and its near impossible to hear whats going on around especially people sneaking up from behind.

Sure Elton I know what your saying ... what I use in the field is my equipment solely used for the hobby . That being said, it could also be used in my defence if I need to defend myself and would and wanna be thugs know that when they see it . And I'm not and I'm never timid or paranoid anywhere cause thugs can smell it , and fear . As a rule I'll never get surrounded and if I ever feel out numbered or see risk coming...it's exit stage right , but not with fear . There is no such thing as a simple robbery unless it's a strong arm robbery like a purse snatcher grab and run . A real robbery happens when the perp uses any type of weapon and threatens to use it on you unless you oblige and even if you do it's up to the perp if you live to ID them or die . Then your actions are considered self defence ... and that is the real picture in today's world .
If someone out there is so mentally unstable that they think the have to physically injure someone or kill them due to harassment , then they deserve to be charged . And don't forget circumstances . You can't shoot someone if they threaten you with a lesser weapon . They have to attack you first or make a attempt to harm you with their weapon and you can prove they did , you can .
I talk from my own experience and people I know . Just because I live in the quite of Northern Wisconsin now shades my past . Growing up in the lower parts of Milwaukee and Chicago taught me lots and having that experience helps me in the real world today ... IMHO , Woodstock
Elton said:
A I feared for my life situation can be far different from a simple robbery attempt. Or harassment .... You will have the burden of proving you felt in fear for your life.

I know your thinking innocent till proven guilty.. That just isn't the total picture in today's world.

Not only could, and will, you at the least, face legal charges..and a Grand Jury decision ..but you can bet under some situations you will face a civil liberties situation after the fact.

It will cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars in defense . and maybe your life, for a few hundred dollars metal detector.

Yes we know your brave...but be smart too... It's just not worth what you will go through.

I know you hard cases will think BS Elton..I can take care of it. Yes you can..But not without a huge price ,and some type of penalty potential..

Elton, your concern is well met. I was in law enforcement and security work for years, have been trained and have helped train others in self defense. There is a line between self defense and a life or death situation that everyone should know. A 14 year old girl hitting you with a stick is not a call for deadly force, but 2 or 3 thugs with weapons , clearly with intent of attacking you or a loved one ......that's a different story now.
Good Lord willing, no one will need to face that other story.

Just my thoughts

I only ran into one incident in my life. The "showdown" took place in a public park I have hunted most of my life. However, times are changing....

I always carry and wrap a piece of cloth around my Lesche digger. This way no one can say I am brandishing a "weapon" two, I use it to place my dirt on and then neatly restore the dirt into the hole, three, in a moments notice, I can whip that cloth right off the lesche and have a very large scary blade to show them. :)

That is exactly what I did when thug boy thought he had the upper hand. Thuggy was quickly approaching from my left, and I just "whipped" off the cloth from the Lesche....the look in his face told the whole story about how he thought twice lol

Right after that I left the park as I didn't want to take the chance of him returning with his buddies. Now when I hunt this place, I go early mornings as I know they are sleeping at least til' noon. :smoke: