Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

beach detecting question

I will be trying my hand at beach detecting for the first time. There is currently a dredging operation going on and they are dumping the sand on half of the beach. My question is, should I steer clear of the dredged sand or hit It hard?

Also, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Most often, where I've hunted, I've found the old beach that hasn't had dredged sand put on it is a better bet. If the area with the dredged sand on it gets a lot of people traffic, you can find newly dropped goodies. I'd give the old unmolested beach a try and watch the area with the dredged sand to see where people are sitting and where the most people traffic is on the beach and in the water.

There are a lot of good tips buried in this forum; although they are not always easy to find.

Dredged sand on the beach is usually dismal. I'd steer clear of it.

I agree with Tom ..... renurished sand is normally sifted coming from way to far out to have much in it. I guess most people are hoping it pulls up some ship wreck gold.....so is the guy dredging it lol. Also....... most beaches after they are renurished.... really are just DEAD hunting unless you get a lot of people or that sand somehow is moved.

What they said. Some of the barge workers are treasure hunters as well and they don't miss much. BUT if new sand has a lot of activity check it out. That's my 2. HH :minelab:

Good advice above. It all depends on where the new sand comes from. Sometimes its even hauled in from somewhere onshore.

Some years back, there was a stretch of beach near Myrtle Beach that was known for good shell hunting. I detected there one day and realized that it was because of the renourishment sand that they had pumped in from offshore. It was devoid of targets except recent trash.

The old beach is favorable but depending on the origin (offshore) replenishment can yield some old goodies from the seabed. Check where the dredging pipes end and memorize them. These are the spots were the heavier stuff, including coins and other interesting artifacts, settle first and the lighter stuff flows away with the water. Most of the beach replenishment isn't worth the effort but hot spots are worth a try.

Regards Kossie