Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach Findings and Screen Indications (26 Nov: First Gold!)

Stogger

Beach trip with wife last Tuesday night Through Thursday. It was a exceptionally low tide so I stuck to hunting in the surf (first drop-off) that I read about in Gary Drayton's book. I have just over 100 hours on the beach (not much compared to many; but enough to learn some things).

Past beach hunts:
-Normally I try in the surf, then dry sand, then wet sand.
-Past hunts, I usually find one trinket and about 4-8$ of change.
-Past hunts, I use mostly open screen, seawater, high trash, recover fast on, recover deep off.

This trip:
-I stuck to the surf and a little wet sand. The sand in this "first drop-off area" was rather hard packed. The last storm really cleared out the soft sand, even now more than a couple months after the storm.
-This time I found 7 pieces of some jewelry and 57cents (including 6 nickels).
-This time I used mostly the Beach mode discrimination pattern, seawater on, recover fast off, recover deep off.
-I was out for 3 low tides, 2 hours for 1, and 4 hours each for the other two. (the first low tide was at night, and it was 39 degrees out: i don't recommend this...I was freezing and could barely feel my fingers when I got in.)
-I didn't show the trash I found but there wasn't much this time as compared to the dry sand hunts. Things were rather quiet and I had to keep testing the detector with a swing of the scoop just to confirm it was working. Most of these items were about 9" down. Trying to recover them was some work getting pounded by the waves. Interesting thing is the signals stay there until you recover whatever it is (nothing moved around much until I finally got it in the scoop.)

Gold ring: Was just a normal scoop where I thought "here comes another piece of aluminum metal or trash". Great feeling when you dump out the scoop to look at your findings and the gold stands out through the sand!

Other stuff is costume jewelry I believe. Not sure what the button-looking thing is on the end.

Congrats on the nice finds.

Myrtle Beach is also washed away. It was so deep that I believe you would have to
snorkel to get to the good stuff