Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach hunt Silver, Silver ring, and .50 cal round?

Jed in NC

Spent about 5 hours on the beach Saturday with the Nox 600 and 15" coil. Still finding lots of coins along storm cuts. Also found what I think is a .50 cal round. Measures out at about .50 on my calipers. Any help with an ID would be appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Wow lots of digging Jed, congrats on a busy hunt. You know what they say if it looks like a .50 cal and measures like a .50 cal it probably is a .50 cal LOL Any pull tabs?
Jeff

That is a 50 caliber round. I just recovered dozens of them in Myrtle Beach. Many were over half encrusted with the ball being about 2" in diameter. My hunting buddy and I speculated that the round was hot when it hit the sand and melted some silica to get it started. Other rounds were perfectly clean.

Looking at the 50 cal round it may be an armor piercing round. Check it with a magnet. I find them frequently as when they pump sand from off shore to replentish the beaches they are pumping from areas that at one time was a practice range for the USN There were a number of areas up and down the coast where the Navy fired thousands of those 50 cal rounds.

Nice hunt I just found a .50 shell casing in a school yard!

GeorgeinSC, so if the 50 cal round is magnetic then it’s armor piercing?

I was wonder why a few I found on NJ beach were slightly magnetic.

Tony NJ