Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach Hunt with new 15" coil w/Silver

Jed in NC

Took the Nox 600 for a spin on the beach with my new 15" coil. Picked up a couple of silvers and right many wheats. Also found a small section of beach where I picked up all of the bullets. I feel the 15" coil did hit a little deeper, but it did take me a little while to get comfortable with pinpointing. My big question for you guys is this. Out of all those targets, why only one nickel? Is that really how the targets fell, or am I doing something a little wrong? I feel like if I am missing nickels, I am missing gold. Always seem find a good balance of coins with my Excal. Maybe I'm too focused on finding the old coins before the start working on beach re-nourishment and not focusing on the lower id targets. I threw in a picture of the bullet measurement.

It's very possible someone else has hit the area hard looking for gold rings only, not wasting time on coins.
Most gold rings read below the penny range, but not all.
Did you find any pull tabs? If not then cherry picking for gold could be it.
We're you at obx or crystal coast?

Let me ask you this question.....or anyone for that matter, why do you believe nickels are magic to finding gold.... and what gold? Posted it before..... and ill repeat it, out of over 100 gold rings....... 9 feel into the pull tab digit, 9 into the bottom cap digit...... and 3 in the nickel digit. We also know like everything else .... digits change based on a lot of factors. So are you thinking...... well the machine is dialed in today because im finding nickels.... which is always a possibility based on its setting/choices. Do you believe nickels have the same weight and react to movement the same? They certainly arent made of the same type metals...... thou they are low conductors. Finding or not finding nickels can be conditions as much as the machine. Its a surface targets as well so it WILL move around. To me a nickel is just another indicator of weight and movement of targets......if you are in the light weight stuff... likely your trash to treasure will reflect that. Id much rather be digging the heavier quarter. Also...... nickels are the least domination of coin carried in a persons pocket. Heres a quote "If, like me, you save your coins instead of spending them, then it's likely that about 31.9 percent of your piggybank contents are quarters, 17 percent are dimes, 8.5 percent are nickels, and 42.6 percent are pennies." I think we can confirm that by just looking at our end of year totals..... but i dont think hose figures have anything to with nickel to gold ratio. The only significance i see is the nickel unlike most coins isnt a high conductor. I recently found 44 nickels in a three day period ...... no gold. Takes me back to Tony Eisenhowers vedio on where gold falls....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgspduZA_8&feature=youtu.be

dewcon4414 said:
Let me ask you this question.....or anyone for that matter, why do you believe nickels are magic to finding gold.... and what gold? Posted it before..... and ill repeat it, out of over 100 gold rings....... 9 feel into the pull tab digit, 9 into the bottom cap digit...... and 3 in the nickel digit. We also know like everything else .... digits change based on a lot of factors. So are you thinking...... well the machine is dialed in today because im finding nickels.... which is always a possibility based on its setting/choices. Do you believe nickels have the same weight and react to movement the same? They certainly arent made of the same type metals...... thou they are low conductors. Finding or not finding nickels can be conditions as much as the machine. Its a surface targets as well so it WILL move around. To me a nickel is just another indicator of weight and movement of targets......if you are in the light weight stuff... likely your trash to treasure will reflect that. Id much rather be digging the heavier quarter. Also...... nickels are the least domination of coin carried in a persons pocket. Heres a quote "If, like me, you save your coins instead of spending them, then it's likely that about 31.9 percent of your piggybank contents are quarters, 17 percent are dimes, 8.5 percent are nickels, and 42.6 percent are pennies." I think we can confirm that by just looking at our end of year totals..... but i dont think hose figures have anything to with nickel to gold ratio. The only significance i see is the nickel unlike most coins isnt a high conductor. I recently found 44 nickels in a three day period ...... no gold. Takes me back to @#$%& vedio on where gold falls....

Thanks for the input Dew, I really appreciate it. You bring up several valid points. What you are saying makes logical sense to me. Guess a lot of my nickel philosophy was based on what I have read over time on different forums. I like the logic behind your points. Thanks again.

Let me add.......... a lot of people test gold they have when looking at the digits it falls. What they dont take into consideration is...... thats found gold. Detectors are designed with a specific purpose..... which means the gold you find could fall in the higher K range or lower based on the freq used. That programing can also affect the SIZE most found.....weight..... or density. I got a lot of surprises on rings i tested with the EQ...... some just didnt seem to fit with where i thought they might fall digit wise.

Jed how about sharing your settings, and are you discriminating anything out? Great hunt, lots of old coins are you punching deeper or working cuts.
Jeff

laplander said:
Jed how about sharing your settings, and are you discriminating anything out? Great hunt, lots of old coins are you punching deeper or working cuts.
Jeff

Jeff, I'm currently running the 600 in "Beach 1" mode and taking all the defaults for that mode. I have really been focusing on large cuts at the base of the dunes in the dry sand. Tons of sand was removed during hurricane Florence. Thats where all the old coins are coming from. I'm actually seeing coins laying on the surface in some spots. Several other folks are hitting it pretty hard, and finding some old silver as well. I normally focus more towards the wet to waist deep range. They are preparing to start a beach re-nourishment project and I'm afraid the old stuff will once again be out of reach. "Ironing while the irons hot" as they say in my parts.

Jed in NC said:
Let me ask you this question.....or anyone for that matter, why do you believe nickels are magic to finding gold.... and what gold? Posted it before..... and ill repeat it, out of over 100 gold rings....... 9 feel into the pull tab digit, 9 into the bottom cap digit...... and 3 in the nickel digit. We also know like everything else .... digits change based on a lot of factors. So are you thinking...... well the machine is dialed in today because im finding nickels.... which is always a possibility based on its setting/choices. Do you believe nickels have the same weight and react to movement the same? They certainly arent made of the same type metals...... thou they are low conductors. Finding or not finding nickels can be conditions as much as the machine. Its a surface targets as well so it WILL move around. To me a nickel is just another indicator of weight and movement of targets......if you are in the light weight stuff... likely your trash to treasure will reflect that. Id much rather be digging the heavier quarter. Also...... nickels are the least domination of coin carried in a persons pocket. Heres a quote "If, like me, you save your coins instead of spending them, then it's likely that about 31.9 percent of your piggybank contents are quarters, 17 percent are dimes, 8.5 percent are nickels, and 42.6 percent are pennies." I think we can confirm that by just looking at our end of year totals..... but i dont think hose figures have anything to with nickel to gold ratio. The only significance i see is the nickel unlike most coins isnt a high conductor. I recently found 44 nickels in a three day period ...... no gold. Takes me back to @#$%& vedio on where gold falls....

Thanks for the input Dew, I really appreciate it. You bring up several valid points. What you are saying makes logical sense to me. Guess a lot of my nickel philosophy was based on what I have read over time on different forums. I like the logic behind your points. Thanks again.

You might want to try running at 40 kHz. Just an idea.

MassSaltH2O said:

You might want to try running at 40 kHz. Just an idea.

Thanks MassSaltH2O, but I'm running and EQ 600. No 40 kHz except for "Multi Freq" which I'm already running.