Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach Hunting

surfdog

Hello all,
Well after much debate (internal and with the wife, lol) , lurking and reading a ton of your posts I have purchased a Vision. I received it Monday and immediately sent it and the headphones to Virginia for the updates. I was told about a week turn around once received. I primarily hunt the beachand some older sites as I am currently in New Hampshire. So I think I am (primarily) going in alittle different direction with it than most of the posts I have read. I look forward to joining the rest of you on the board as I try to learn and optimize this machine for my style of hunting.
My first question, that I hope some of you may be able to help me with is, which of the larger coils would be best suited for salt beach use? Also, I realize that the software updates include a coil selection menu so, has anyone used any aftermarket coils on this machine? If so how do they coordinate with the coil selection menu and as well, perform in regard to target sizing and depth reading accuracy? I appreciate any help and look forward to further participation on the board.
Good hunting to all
Bill

Hi Bill,

Since the beach is large, one of the best ways to up your finds is to cover more ground with each sweep. Super 12 would probably be best for this, although there are other coils of similar size that will do well too (SEF, for example). You will get more depth with a larger coil, but coverage is just as important. Set it up in Salt mode and it will work very well on the beach. I've had mine in Galveston twice and it was rock solid and performed extremely well.

If you use an aftermarket coil, just select a coil that has a similar size in Loop Selection.

I might add that coverage is MORE important than depth when beach hunting, especially on the dry sand, at least for me. My favorite coil is the Bigfoot, but they are getting hard to find, at a reasonable price anyway. Any of the larger coils will work fine if weight is not a major issue. The depth and VDI readings are the least of my worries on a beach, if it beeps in the + VDI's, I dig it. Gold can be anywhere on the VDI scale and the few seconds it takes to recover a target with a sand scoop, it is not worth it to me to analyze what it might be or how deep. As you gain more experience beach hunting, I'm sure you will hone your style and settings, but for now I suggest dig everything you can in the time you have to hunt........:thumbup:

Hi Larry
Thanks for the response. I know they do cover alot of ground fast. Dont see them listed much though. I am keeping my eye open for one however.

Hmmm...it was deep. Galveston isn't mineralized so you get a pretty clear shot into the sand. I will only say over 10"...I was digging craters.

I agree with Larry about coverage being more important. However, if you hunt where many others hunt as well, sometimes that depth can squeeze a few targets out that others miss.

It's tempting to swing fast and move on down the beach with so much room. I usually set my Delay at 50 and try to keep the swing at a reasonable speed...1.5 - 2.0 sec one side to the other. Put a target in the sand and see what speed works best for your settings. When the tone sounds strongest that is the speed you want to swing, unless you modify your settings again.

Beep is your 12" coil V rated? If not how much of an inconvienance is a non V rated Super 12" coil. I have an oppourtunity to trade for a non V rated Super 12. I am not too familiar with the TX boost issue (reading up on it now). Not sure if I would eventually regret not getting the V rated coil.

Hi Larry this is Mickey (mickfin) I have a 6,59 0LL Big Foot 4R my Eagle II SL 90 , If i set my V3i on 7.5 Will it work?????
I need a favor, On the finds mall feedback, Thear was a tittle mixup in opinions can you post a + 4R me i will appreciate it, If you want i can send you details, Mic

Hi Mic, I don't know how I missed your post from yesterday, sorry. I don't know about the XLT Bigfoot on the V, you will have to give it a try and see what happens, don't think it would hurt anything if the plugs are the same. I'm going to feedback right now and see whasup.