Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach hunting

Lodihunter

Hi All...

I'm going to Dillon Beach (just north of San Fransisco) this weekend and am itching to do some beach hunting. I have never been before so I am a little intimidated. I have the 12" coil that came with my PRO, a 6X10 and a 5.6. What would you folks suggest I use? I have had good luck in parks/fields with my 6X10 but was thinking I might need a little more depth at the beach. Not sure. Also, I have heard that the MXT PRO does not do very well in wet sand. So, should I stick to the dry sand uphill? If you have time, send me some suggestions!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!!

Most single frequency detectors have trouble in salt water/sand but with TRAC in salt mode it will work about as good as any of them. You might still have to stay in the dryer sand though. Depth on the beach is important to get deeper than the clad collectors before you but more important is coverage and that is where the 300 coil will help you the most. A must on the beach is dig everything above iron and you just might be surprised what you might find. A sand scoop will save you a lot of digging if you don't have one yet.

I use my MXT at the beach and it works great in the dry sand, but I put TRAC in SALT for the wet sand and it works okay but is a little touchy. Like Larry said, go with the biggest coil you've got. Covering more area is what it is all about at the beach, so go with 12" coil.
John

I would use the 12" coil on the dry sand,although I have better real depth with the 6x9 dd in wet sand. Another little trick that will get you more small gold rings, earrings etc is to put your mxt in lock before turning on which will show a grd# of 83, this will give you more effective depth and sensitivity for gold in dry white sand, if you have a lot of black heavy mineralized sand then you would be better using a DD type coil and do your usual Gb and lock. JMHO, but works great for me, I got 23 gold rings last yr at NC beaches using this system with my mxt.

Thanks for the help everyone... Just got back tonight. Hunted for over 4 miles and, unfortunately, all I had to show for it was some corroded coins and sand-filled shoes. That was some tough work! I think I'll be sticking to the parks and fields.

That's okay, I have struck out at the beach plenty of times. There is a lot of good stuff at the park too.