Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BEACH SCOOP CALLED... "Ti"

Number9

I wanted a wet sand beach scoop to use below the high water mark and hunt the wet sand down to the water at low tide. And maybe do OK in the soft dry sand and in shallow water. But no scoop will do real well at all three places, so you design one that will work the best at where you plan to use it the most.

What I wanted was "simple":rolleyes:...
A real strong tool to give great service without the handle falling off...
Large scoop head so finding a target would be easy to find without digging up the whole beach...
One that would not corrode or rust around saltwater or under most conditions that would shorten the life of the tool...
One that would cost under $100...
Good looks, balanced, and easy to use...
With a good grip and not just a standard bicycle grip.
...And weigh less than 3 pounds!
And with a shorter name than, "BIG HEADED TITANIUM CROOK NECK SAND DIGGER"!:D

<center>
scoop6.jpg
</center>

<center>
scoop1.jpg
</center>

<center>
scoop10.jpg
</center>

<center>
scoop7.jpg
</center>

Scoop bottom pan made from .071", top section made using .050", both Grade 5, 6-4 titanium(135,000 PSI tensile strength).
Handle is 1" X .051" wall, Grade 9, 3-2.5 titanium(95,000 PSI tensile strength).
Scoop size: 12"L, 7 3/4"W, 6 1/2"H. Top of handle is 40" high with scoop head flat on grade. Holes are 5/16" and 7/16".
Grip is non-slip, textured(used on high-end exercise equipment).
Weight is 2lbs., 15ozs.

Name: "Ti"(atomic symbol for titanium).

<center>
scoop9.jpg
</center>

Best at ya!
-Wayne

wow what a monster :thumbup: what was that about not digging half the beach up :laugh: seriously that looks like a great scoop bet it will do an awesome job :thumbup:
lazyaussie

Nice job, but for us lesser mortals probably expensive in titanium, best way I've seen yet for your recycled offcuts

Nice looking TIG Welds? I can't see them that well but they Look perfectly smooth..no beads..Did you punch the holes or drill, that is some hard4ss stuff.

A look into the Future of Scoops!

Great Job...Obn

yes now that looks good
I'd like to try one myself !!
Let me know how I can?
Thanks
John

Thanks!
Looking forward to our trip to the OBX this October to give it a try.

lazyaussie... The scoop head is about the same size as the larger scoops on the market.
With it's lighter weight it should off-set the extra sand being dug? I'm looking forward to digging up the beach!
kered...
I had to watch ebay several weeks to find the metal, at $35-$40 a pound for scrap you don't want to buy any extra
for a small project!
ashmonkey...
It was made in my basement by hand...if I had the equipment it maybe worth the trouble to make for sale?
Obn..
Sure like the videos you've made!!!!
The scoop was tig welded using an old Miller ac/dc "buzz-box" and dry rig tig torch.
weld.jpg

I don't have the best equipment to do it the easy way, I just make do with what I have.
The holes were drilled using a Craftsman "China-made" $75 drill press... all 200+ holes!

Best at ya!
-Wayne

Nice n light!

Good looking and should last a lifetime!

Should dig fine and be easy to handle!

What more can one want in a scoop?

Good job, well done!!

CJ

When NASA metal detects......Nice job Pards that thing came together nicely! Can you give us an idea as to how expensive one would be? I know a lot of these guys would buy a "lifetime scoop" like that. Stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum...where do I send the check. :p

NOW THATS IMPRESSIVE-WELL MADE PROFESSIOAL WORK-GET YOURSELF SET UP AND START TURNING THOSE OUT-SERIOUSLY I'M NOT EASILY IMPRESSED AND YA DID IT-YOU COULD SELL THOSE EASILY-EVEN IF MADE WITH ALUM OR SS-GREAT DESIGN AND WEIGHT-HOW DO TA THINK NUTTALL GOT STARTED

Hey Cupajo... I've been watching you!! I've seen the scoops and much thought you put in to making your
scoops look great! The thing is.. you've tested yours. My scoop has only seen the sand that was blasted to give it a finish!
A tool can be many things but until it is tested under actual use can the last requirement in design be known!

At this time, I have no plans to build a product for sell. I don't have the right equipment or access to a large amount of "cheap" titanium to make scoops. And making a scoop by hand would take to much time to be worth while...
I could make more money as a "door-greeter" at Walmart!:lmfao:

I just love to design and turn ideas into something different, or try to make things better than the normal tools and products already on the market.
When I receive praise from people like you, who have used similar tools in the field, and get a high approval of the things I've designed and made... it means a great deal!! Thanks!!

We used to be able to get Titanium from a surplus store that the Boeing company operated in the Seatlle area. Titanium was sold by the pound. I still have some that's about the right size for handles as I used it as a light and strong mast for a ham antenna. I have a miiler synchrowave TIG welder and have welded aluminum and stainless. Never tried titanium as I heard it was a sucker to do. How many times did you have to sharpen the drill bit to put in all those holes? What a job that must have been. Looks like you got it done right. Light weight and will be here forever. Strong and no issues with rust or corrosion. Great job. Now if you aren't going to make em, Nutall ought to consider it.
I have a plasma cutter that would probably cut that thinner material and that might be a way to make the holes instead of drilling. you'd need a template of some kind to guide the cutting tip. The holes probalby wouldn't looks as nice. Great job....Jim

Hey Jim,

Several people has started a business on the West Coast selling surplus titanium.
And many started by buying scrap from Boeing and other aircraft companies and contractors.

Did you read my reply to Obn? I use an old Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC welder that I bought new 15 years ago for about $350. I use a "dry-rig" tig torch(not water cooled) that I bought at the same time for around $75. A bottle of argon and regulator/flowmeter tops off my high-tech welding equipment! LOL!
You tig weld titanium about the same way as you would stainless... same gas, tungsten, heat. straight polarity.
Titanium will "gas"(porosity) much easier than stainless and needs post gas after you break the arc and use a purge gas with full penetration welds. Other than that, titanium must be clean before welding. I find it easier to weld titanium
than stainless or many alloy steels.
If you weld titanium, this little hint will save you a bunch of money!
Filler welding wire/rod... It is very high dollar!! If you can, cut filler material from the sheet you're going to weld. Set the shear on 1/16" to 3/32" and cut your filler material from the edge of the sheet.

Like all metals, titanium has a best way to fabricate. If you drill titanium, you must use a high quality drill bit to start with, I used Hyot. I used three different sizes.. 3/16" as a pilot on all holes... then 5/16" on all holes... then 7/16" on half the holes. You use fast feed and slow rpm. You can't use a light pressure and you must see shavings coming from the metal at all times! I would drill for 3 or 4 seconds then let it cool for about the same time. I didn't use any coolant while drilling(lazy?). I only sharpen the one 7/16" bit twice. A punch press would be the best for holes.
Titanium will eat grinding stones and cutting disk for breakfast if you use heavy pressure... go with a light touch.
Grinding and using plasma to cut titanium will give off sparks whiter than white! Titanium cut with plasma will give an edge a little more rough than stainless... but about the fastest on odd shaped pieces.

LOL!! Nutall... are you listening!!
Many of my designs have been used by other companies... Cabela's is still selling treestands I designed 10 years ago!

Best at ya, Jim!!

Ain't been tested???

Send that digger to me Friend and I'll give 'er a workout that will leave no doubt about how strong she is!!

Three hours of Connecticut cobbles and gravel should be proof enough!!

When she survives that you will have no doubt that the digger will be workin when we're all dead and gone!!

I might even send 'er back!!:thumbup:

CJ

PS She will have earned a name to match her looks-----"Big Awsome Digger"!!!

LOL!!!

Yeah, Cupajo... I'm sure you would return it!!

The bottom piece of metal is the same thickness as the metal I used on my shovel(.071").
My walking stick has a removable aluminum protective cap that is unscrewed so the shovel head can screw on the end.
I've used this shovel in Rockhounding for about 15 years in the North Carolina mountains... to this point I haven't had any trouble with it...

Walking stick...
walkstk.jpg

Showing rake and shovel head that can be attached, rake head is stainless, rest is titanium...
tool16.jpg

Number9 said:
Hey Jim,

Several people has started a business on the West Coast selling surplus titanium.
And many started by buying scrap from Boeing and other aircraft companies and contractors.

#9 could you pm me a way to contact these folks?

thanks

steve

The better place to find titanium for small projects is to watch eBay for the size pieces you may need.
Many places that sell small amounts from a "store" are a lot higher.
Google... "Titanium Joe"... or "Metal On Line".

-Wayne

:thumbup: Hey Number9 put me in the list for one !:wave: