Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach trial run

ARAWORN

So I got out for just over an hour at a Long Island beach with the new Safari. Take for the day was,one each of a quarter, dime,and penny all clad. As well as a copper screw and at least part copper nail. Everything sounded good though I dont recall the actual TID#s, I looked mostly at the bar at the bottom as well as the sound. Now is it common for the alkaline batts to drain so quickly? I've used it less than 8 hrs and it's down to 1 bar already. Would I get more time from rechargeable batts or spend the cash for the ML 3100 for $139. Money doesn't grow on trees unless you're the Federal Reserve then you can just print it.

Hello ARAWORN, I went ahead and bought the ML3100 with my detector. I'm glad I did. Battery life is not a problem. They can be recharged in about 2 hours too. With the price of AA batteries I think you will make it up very quickly. That's my 2 cents worth.

Be careful with regular rechargeable AA batteries. The voltage can stack and add to over the acceptable limit. This can damage your safari.... and I believe it even warns against it in the user manual. But 8 hours is a little short. Are you using headphones? Do you have your threshold volume really high? I don't use headphones with the safari and I get about 14 hours out of 8 AAs

Actually I am using headphones, and threshold is set at 10, which is under factory preset. I also lowered the contrast a few notches. Like I said Im down to one bar, I'm going to use it till it dies to get an idea of time and carry spares.
Just got 40 duracells for $12 at Costco to hold me for a few weeks, then I will probably take the splurge for the ML 3100. Thanks for the responses.

Its a thing...you dont want to hunt productive ground in prime time with half deads...especially if you sense you are losing confidence or targets...dump and go, often and always...keep that power above half if you can...I know its a bummer...but at what intrinsic cost? You miss one big find out of the year trying to get full life on your batteries?...Fortunately, I chose two different mfg rigs that consume the same powerplant (AA's)...I can dump the half deads out of my primary gold finder and stuff them into my other wand and get another 15hrs out of them...Advice here would be to find something that works to your satisfaction and you dont miss any gold due to being concerned about battery life....but I hear you...I'm all about ROI hunting strategy and methods...so it can be a balance and challenge to time it all just right...
Mud

Thanks Mudpuppy, I've been reading your posts awhile now and you and Old Beechnut are monsters at getting the gold. I actually got 3 more hours so far and there seems to be no depth loss that I can see. When I started the hunt there were 3bars for about 20 mins then went to 2bars for about 45mins then went back
down to one for the remainder of the hunt still showing targets deep down. You're right though I will buy the ML3100, soon as my alkalines are done, just gotta scrimp a little more cash.

Ararworn- Were you using a discount or knock-off brand of batteries to start ? In a pinch when I first got my safari I bought some Walgreens store brand "and they were dead when I got to the site. Fortunately, I was close enough to return them and picked up duracells. I learned my lesson. Been using harbor freight re-chargeables for a few years now, no problems and still able to hunt 12-14 hours as I did with duracells or everyreadys' before re-charging.

fwiw, I use Eneloop rechargables with a MAHA smart charger and get about 12-15 hrs +/-.