Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BeeKeeper........

Mega

Have been Beekeeping for about 15 years over here in the UK currently have 15 hives 13 National and 2 WBC hives most of them are down a friends orchard but i do have the 2 WBC's in my back garden,not alot happening at the moment with them but the should start flying again on a regular basis before too long.

The 2 most daunting things that i can remember was the 1st time i took the lid of the first hive and all those bees start flying around you but the fear soon went away and the other most daunting thing is when you take your 1st swarm mine was up a 15ft apple tree but once you have done it then its pretty easy and you also have aquired a free colony of bees :ukflag::thumbup:

I use to sell my honey in the early days but in recent years is more hassle than any thing and just mainly give it away to family and friends,i do it as a interest/hobby rather thanbusiness based if that makes sense.

I love honey, especially in my coffee, wife likes it in tea.. We spend over $100 every 2 months on raw honey. We get it at a farmers market...ain't cheep.

MegaB, you have problems with the honey bees disappearing, over there in the UK?

Its not as bad as 5-10 years ago,its still a fragile enviroment that they live in,we have to adapt i guess is the best way to describe it and help them in any way we can,about 3 years ago i lost about a third of my colonies during the winter but then you can replace the lost colonies with swarms that we catch but of recent years the bee population has dropped i will admit that.

What a great hobby...I feel like a beekeeper,I've had a bees nest under my shed for the past 10/12 years,...never have gotten to taste the honey,but i can smell it.Glad their not the "Killer Bees",They only get mad when i weed-whack around them..so i hit it quick and run....Going to be moving from this house soon and will be renting it,so I might have to relocate them,seen ads on CL for bee removal,just don't want them killed.Do you have much of a problem with the "Russian Bees",..You know,the KGB's..LOL

I have been told, Allergies can be cured, by consuming Honey from the area in which you live. My Brother tried it, and it worked.
And Yes, it isn't cheap. Farmers market is best , supporting the Farmer!

I extracted honey from honey combs and worked on a bee farm for 3 years. Belliston Bees in Utah. Was my wifes uncles. LOL that was enough!!! Over 20 55 gallon drums of honey a season. Got stung more times than I could ever count!!

I am a second year beekeeper. I will have two hives in my yard and one in my daughter's house about 35 miles away this year. 2012 was my first foray into beekeeping. I was very excited to get about 26 pounds of honey from one hive. It tasted a little lemony which. I suppose, is from the lemon balm all over this area. I hope my "girls" survive the winter. I am eager to start things up for 2013!

~Rich

What a great hobby! Its nearly impossible to find or even see a bee around anymore...remember when we were kids, they were on every clover out in the yard. I've been fortunate to witness two swarms come through while I was in the woods...makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up! Not from fear of them, just from all the buzzing I can remember both times distinctly...one was in SD on the east side of Angostura reservior, I had just caught a massive bull snake, and as I was admiring it, the sky darkened! The other time was up here on the banks of the muskegon river, truly an amazing thing. Did anyone ever figure out what has been causing the Collony Collapse Disorder? We'd all be freaked without honey bees!
Mud

Glad to see others with the same hobbies. I have been keeping bees for several years and I still get excited every time I check my boxes. Thinking about trying some top bar hives this year.

hello, I beekeeper about four or five years, good activity, very interesting, learn and enjoy a lot with the bees.
a greeting