Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Been a while........

Spider-F5

since i've posted anything or dirt dug for that matter. Since Thanksgiving, after hitting the big woods out behind the house, i got into some serious poison ivy . long story short, it took me every bit of a month to get over it. after a lot of withdrawels and some chomping at the bits, i decided to detect the woods again(well protected this time) :rofl: this past weekend and found quite a bit of stuff. ranging from old shoe soles to the biggest concentration of paint bucket handles i'd ever seen. :confused: this particular hunt was really exciting due to the fact that i believe i have found what was once an old shop, shed or tack room. hard to say though.... there was such variety of things in and around the area, including sheet metal of tin siding or roof. the kewlest thing i found was old tackle for hooking plows to horses and the largest thing i found was about 30' of 1 to 1 1/4" rope cable, which was very hard to pull out of the ground. i was so exhauted afterwards that i just left it laying on the ground coiled up. :surrender:

here are a few pics of some of the things i managed to retrieve. hope you enjoy!! HH<Spider

btw: i've learned to prepare for the worst as far as poison ivy goes. i now wear long sleeve shirts, gloves and wash everything after a dig. :cheers:

attached are more pics of the remains of the old site. to give you and idea as to how well people got by back in the day. the concrete was re-enforced with varying long bolts ect. purdy neat huh?

Looks like your stuck in the iron patch lol..that little iron yoke lookin thing is kinda cool and i think that handle thingy is from an old timey stove.. hopefully after you clear out some of that iron the coins will start popping out of the ground... on a side note when i was a kid i use to get poison ivy bad...the worse case i ever had just happened to coincide with the chicken pox...needless to say i was suffering a few days..i havent gotten poison ivy in many many years now and hope i never do.. you gotta be wary of the roots when digging as the juice in the cut roots is even more potent than the leaf...good luck out there....

Yea bootyhound, that's exactly how I got the ivy. Them dang roots...... You are spot on in regard to all the iron lol so much so, that I had to make multiple trips with that I could carry in my bag and left the larger items piled up. I've researched electrolysis in hopes to clean some of it up. Wish me luck.

HH<Spider

Spider,Ive had a few horse shoes some time ago that i wanted to clean up...i tried the stickem in the hot ashes inside the woodstove then throwem outside into the snow trick..it shocks the scale off real quick then i just wire wheeled them after that...

Yea I wouldn't mind so much doing something like that with shoes and such but not too quick to do that with the stuff I'm finding lately..... I've went out and purchased everything needed to setup shop for electrolysis. I've managed to get a few things done and will make a new post on it after the weekend.

Laters and HH<Spider

Really cool! I saw your post on the electrolysis too! Nice work there Buddy!:clapping:
Mud

That old site gave up some interesting bits. Pound it some more and hope for a stash of hard money turns up.

Thanks mud. I appreciate the kind words. I put in a lot of effort into it and YT, I've only begun. There is so much more area to cover. I suspect that there is lots where this came from.

HH<Spider

Spider. There is a product that one uses to wash off the oils from the exposure to poison ivy. Cant remember the name but it is available at pharmacies. Also many years ago I ventured up to Ohio to hunt groundhogs with small caliber muzzle loader. I made the mistake of lying in the grass waiting for one to lift his head. Next morning my front from my neck to my navel was a large blister. Doctor prescribed Lidex. It is a steroid cream. It took care of the blisters in three or four days. It is now available in generic form and I keep a tube handy just in case i get into the poison Ivy.

GeorgeinSC said:
Spider. There is a product that one uses to wash off the oils from the exposure to poison ivy. Cant remember the name but it is available at pharmacies. Also many years ago I ventured up to Ohio to hunt groundhogs with small caliber muzzle loader. I made the mistake of lying in the grass waiting for one to lift his head. Next morning my front from my neck to my navel was a large blister. Doctor prescribed Lidex. It is a steroid cream. It took care of the blisters in three or four days. It is now available in generic form and I keep a tube handy just in case i get into the poison Ivy.

The Wiki on urushiol, the active irritant in poison ivy, says that 50% of the material may be absorbed by the skin within 10 minutes - soap and water, alcohol or maybe baking soda with water can remove it, also I wouldn't discount hydrogen peroxide as it may oxidise the material and neutralize it - after that you're probably just going to have to treat the rash. My mother showed me how to rub the rash with the crushed stems of the jewelweed plant. What she showed me is a tall flowering plant that grows in sunny moist clearings but based on the pictures in Wiki, I'm not sure she had the right one.

-pete

GeorgeinSC said:

i think what you may be thinking of is a product called Technu. i keep it on hand for when i know I'm exposed during the months that leaves are present and it works well but you have to apply it VERY soon afterwards. the problem with this time of year is with the ivy that's along the ground and the roots that are exposed/cut into from digging in wooded areas. I'll have to look into the Lidex cream you mention. I'm open to anything that works as i like dirt fishing too much in the winter months to let this stuff deter me. summer diggin around here is almost out of the question. lol

Pete said:
The Wiki on urushiol, the active irritant in poison ivy, says that 50% of the material may be absorbed by the skin within 10 minutes - soap and water, alcohol or maybe baking soda with water can remove it, also I wouldn't discount hydrogen peroxide as it may oxidise the material and neutralize it - after that you're probably just going to have to treat the rash. My mother showed me how to rub the rash with the crushed stems of the jewelweed plant. What she showed me is a tall flowering plant that grows in sunny moist clearings but based on the pictures in Wiki, I'm not sure she had the right one.

i've researched the jewel weed as well as the plantain plant as a means to treat/prevent the ivy issue. they both have a BROAD range of medicinal uses. the problem is... that i cant seem to find it here. at least this time of year. maybe its seasonal and only grows from spring to fall. not sure though. i have however managed to locate it online in dry form for purchase. for the time being I'm sure to wear long sleeves and gloves, wash all tools afterwards and cloths. i certainly appreciate all of your input on this. cant let a lil' ole thing like ivy keep me at bay. :cool:

HH<Spider