Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Been super busy. Catchup Post #10: My most cherished find

407floyd

This is the sequel to Post #9 and includes, to me, the greatest find of my 45 yrs. of detecting. Some of you in New England may not see this as a big deal, but down here in Texas, I'm considering this extremely rare. I didn't know what I had when I dug it up, until I got home and cleaned it. 1796-1804 Draped Bust One Cent. This coin is worn smooth because it's been through so many hands, but still has the tell-tale signs of this coin. I included more pics for verification or comments from others. United States coinage began in 1793 with the Cent and Half Cent. George Washington's term ended in 1797. The Constitution was barely a decade old when this coin was minted. This coin quite possibly passed through the hands of Founding Fathers. Touching this coin gives me direct connection to the beginning of this daring, tumultuous experiment that has survived many attempts destroy it. May this coin never go the way of fallen empire coinage. It'll be hard for me to top this find since history is the driving force behind my detecting. I'll give it a shot though.

Attachments

• 20220520_134914.jpeg
    20220520_134914.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220520_140929.JPG
    20220520_140929.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20220520_141002.jpeg
    20220520_141002.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 20220520_141035.jpeg
    20220520_141035.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • 20220520_141105.jpeg
    20220520_141105.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
That is a really special find for Texas. It may very well have been lost by some of the first Colonists to come to Spanish/Mexican Texas. Are you in a pre Republic area?
I'm still hoping for any Large Cent here in East Texas.

I would suspect there is some memorialization of human movement through that area. Inquire at Historical Societies and Universities as they have extended files. Neat, neat, find!!!

That is a really special find for Texas. It may very well have been lost by some of the first Colonists to come to Spanish/Mexican Texas. Are you in a pre Republic area?
I'm still hoping for any Large Cent here in East Texas.
The site is a vacant lot in a town that dates to 1850. I've hunted there a few times and always find a wide variety of relics. Found this .557 cal (55) Enfield projectile there once.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    458 KB · Views: 53
I would suspect there is some memorialization of human movement through that area. Inquire at Historical Societies and Universities as they have extended files. Neat, neat, find!!!
The site is in a small town that dates to 1850, on a city lot. It was found under the remains of an old building with lots of old glass, plumping, scrap metal, and other coins from 70-100 yrs ago. I'm sure it was probably moved to Texas with a settler and eventually fell through a crack in the floor. There's no telling how many buildings have come and gone there over the decades.

The site is in a small town that dates to 1850, on a city lot. It was found under the remains of an old building with lots of old glass, plumping, scrap metal, and other coins from 70-100 yrs ago. I'm sure it was probably moved to Texas with a settler and eventually fell through a crack in the floor. There's no telling how many buildings have come and gone there over the decades.
Sounds like an Awesome site.
Keep a diggin. Good Luck.