Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Been thinking of a waterproof detector for awhile.Any thoughts?

Scottowl

The soaking rain we had over the weekend has just about convinced me I need a waterproof detector. The question is, which one?

This would be used in fresh water only, and, since I don't swim, not used in depths of more than 10 feet. I would hope not even that deep!

I would also want to use it on land, in the rain, and prefer the smallest coil I can get.

The main contenders seem to be Tiger Shark and AT Pro, in all its forms. There is also a new Minelab lurking out there, or so I've heard.

I've read some like the Tiger Shark because of its affinity to small gold. To me, that means small aluminum and tin foil too. It seems to have some good target separation, and iron reject capability.

The AT Pro has iron volume, a feature I enjoy on the Racer. It seems to have a wider choice of coils as well. I have read it is a bit heavy, and top heavy.

The Equinox? I dunno. Does anyone yet?

Am I missing any choices? Price is a factor as well.

I would also be curious about a scoop recommendation. I would be in some rocky areas, such as river run gravel. Is there a better than average scoop for that application?

I have done a bit of reading on this subject, and will do more before a decision. Since I am not able to physically test these detectors, I would welcome some hands on reviews. I am leaning toward a used detector. One that I could recoup some of the investment should I later realize its not for me would be a bonus.

Looks like you are in Oregon so i dont know how youd pass up one of the new MLs coming out. The others are good choices a lot will depend on the targets you look to find. We also dont know how well the EQ will perform..... but the price is right and it offers a LOT of choices for an overall machine that will eliminate having a closet full of detectors. Always looking for a better mouse trap...... this may be it. It also looks like you have a price range.

Hi did anybody see max I have not see him on all summer.

beachbandit said:
Hi did anybody see max I have not see him on all summer.

He is well and mostly on Facebook now. Rare for him to post on the forums the last several years. I know we sure Miss the old pirate..

You are looking at this the same way I did in 2011 when I got into water detecting. I was told and have learned a water detector goes beep on almost anything and would not work worth a darn in a park, field ect... hunts. My 2 cents worth. :)

I was wondering about that very thing, and that is the reasoning behind putting a limit on the budget.
There is no easy choice for me. Obviously I would like to try out that CTX 3030. Its not that budget friendly, and I have heard some stories about their repair process.
One thing that troubles me about the Equinox is it may have to go to the shop to have the battery changed. That seems unknown at this point.
I have been a Whites guy. When they announced the MXSport, I was going to get one. My not doing so turns out to be a good move. I would guess they have all the bugs worked out by now, but I have lost interest.
I have been reading about the Tiger Shark for a couple years, off and on. I keep going back to it. The only drawbacks are no VDI, and not much choice of coils. These are drawbacks to me, the uneducated lout that I am! For all I know, they may be positives!
AT Pro? Maybe. Possibly. There seem to be a few used ones out there.
Buying a detector is not like buying a car, where you can go down the block to see, compare and try out different models until you find the right one.

I have an infinium and at pro. Been detecting for 30 years and they are the first and only water detectors ive owned. I mostly do relic hunting, but decided to try water hunting in the creeks, lakes, and possibly river crossings. I'm also a novice in seawater and discovered recently it isn't as easy as it looks. The infinium is really heavy. Even the coils are heavy. The At pro is my recommendation, mostly because you can get a used one for less than $400, easy.

just my 2 cents worth.

wayne

I've been using the AT Pro for the past 6 years because I like getting into the water. It has paid for itself by finding 26 rings, mostly in fresh water but some in dirt too. I just upgraded to the AT Max but am not liking its sounds like I did the Pro. Am hanging onto the Pro for backup while I try to learn the AT Max. The Max is supposedly deeper than the Pro but it Squawks instead of Beeps. When you hit silver with the Pro it gives you a nice mellow high-pitched beep that becomes music to the ears.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

A very subjective process. There are fans of every make and model. Do you prefer simple or highly configurable? Heavy or light? What kind of hunting will you do the most often and what type of finds are you most interested in? What is your budget?
Oh heck, wait for the Minelab.

Call Dennis at METALDETECTORS .COM ,get a EXCALIBUER 11 at a discount price you won:t be sorry

Having been in a nearly identical situation, here's my take. Assuming this is a backup machine, get a used AT Pro. If you like it, there are plenty of used add ons available. If you don't like it, you should be able to sell if for what you paid out. If I may add; If you don't swim, max depth is 2 - 3 feet. Anything more then that you should be wearing a flotation device and / or have friends ( note I used plural ) nearby.

Yes a floatation device is a must for a none swimmer. Read in my history messages of my experience with a drop off and no one around, I don't go in the water anymore, just the wet sand area.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Gerry