Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Behind the Union lines

ironman200081

Howdy all. I got permission to hunt a pasture that was the site of a skirmish. There were about 2,500 or so men involved, less than that actually engaged. I am starting my search of the site behind the Union battle lines, trying to possibly find where the artillery was deployed. The land has been surface-hunted before when the field was cultivated, and there was at least one round cannon ball found (landowner still has it). Earlier in the summer, I swept the westernmost part of the skirmish and came up with a lot of dropped, shot, and buttons. My plan is to work the Union lines until the ground freezes, then work the Confederate lines in the spring.

Anyway, I swept a little bit of the area near the old road and came out with 6 dropped .58 round balls. They were all within a 10'x10' area with one exception. No minies or brass, but I am going to keep at it and see what pops out. Also in the picture are two iron pieces that I believe are later, from farm equipment. Let me know if I am wrong. Please enjoy the video -- new camera and some nearly live digs.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp7C6rS-fHo&feature=share&list=UUu3zPHg-MGFmY70ZDo0II3A[/video]

you have to look at the terrian but go about 1/4 mile behind the yankee battle lines and start looking for friction primers or impact frags where the confederates may have been shooting at the cannons. then if you hit the primers take a set of dividers and set them for 2000 yards and again at 2300 yards then look for a sloop that would face the cannons. I have done this with a pretty good success, after a few years I read about another confederate cannon that was way off to the left I used the same ranges and went right to the spot and was digging relics in a matter of minutes. plotting inpact ares can be a lot of fun.

Nice video Bryan. Sounds like you are in a nice spot to hunt and it would be a perfect spot to use the GPS mapping feature on your CTX. The critter munching on your lead ball is probably a Homo Sapien :devil:

Nice job. CCH

Thanks for the tips Richard. I will focus on impact frags and primers. The land has been plowed before, so it may put me off a couple feet, but I should be able to use your advice to get a rough location.

Larry, the GPS feature excells here in the wide open pastures. I typically sweep with the map on until I get a target, then switch over to the TID screen. I can run a pretty tight grid without the need of stakes or chalkline, etc.