Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

bent iron nails

ricka

okay....so how do we deal with deep bent nails, besides digging them up. I'm getting a nice collection of them.

turn 90 degrees and see if it nulls....if so it could be a nail.....even try a full circle around the target

A deep coin and a deep bent nail can be tricky, just pay close attention to how it sounds and the EXACT spot on the ground you get ANY piece of a high tone, sweeping from different directions. If that sound doesn’t coincide with that spot EXACTLY, chances are pretty good it’s a junker. But if you’re in a place that HAS given up old deep coins, and until you get a good grasp on being able to differentiate between the two, dig it up.

they all had good numbers and good tones, even switched to quickmask and it still sounded good.

did they give you a hit from all directions or go silent while swinging over the the target area in all directions ?...... IDXMONSTER is right....good advice.

The e-trac is a very good detector but it's not the end all- be all. When you boil it all down it's just like any other detector contrary to what some say. The only true way to tell is to just dig it, it will take less time than running circles around the target, or taking the time to analyze it.

that will work also...if you don't want to figure out why you are hitting those signals...dig 'em.

they all had good numbers and good tones, even switched to quickmask and it still sounded good.
When you switched to the quick mask open screen you should of seen a 35 for the ferrous number. That's what I see every time I dig that deep target that you really want to be a coin. If I see a 35 for it has always been a nail or some kind of iron.

Like Davethejunky says, it comes down to dig it and see.....no matter what detector you have or how much it costs........set your discrim, if it beeps, dig.....

If you hunt in Ferrous and you can open up your pattern or from 28 down to 35 or go to quick mask you should get a low tone and your ID number should giver you a better Ferrous lock on of numbers from 28 to 35.

If you hunt in Conductive that iron is going to high tone even if you have iron disc out. About all you can do is open up the pattern from 28 down to 35 or quick mask and forget about the high tone and watch your ID numbers for a better Ferrous number lock on between 28 and 35.

Never stop leaning, I hope this will help.

Ron in WV

Interesting points. Encountered this very issue yesterday. Now have several bent nails and zero old coins. THANKS for the feedback and will open up FE on Mask!

Follow up response. I've chosen to check a target using wide open Quick Mask and don't dig anything with FE value >27. Seems to work for this "old" coot.

Follow up response. I've chosen to check a target using wide open Quick Mask and don't dig anything with FE value >27. Seems to work for this "old" coot.
I probably have a thousand hours on the Etrac since they first came on the market. I can say out of all the coins I have dug I probably only found 3 or 4 that hit a 28 or 29 ferrous number and they were Wheats.
The Andy S. Pattern is my most used pattern.
It's a great pattern to use as your standard and then have the quick mask screen wide open.

Totally agree Jeff and I pretty much leave my Detech 8x6 coil on all the time. Speaking of nails, the only saving grace is at least people didn't drop them like they did with pulltabs...

Totally agree Jeff and I pretty much leave my Detech 8x6 coil on all the time. Speaking of nails, the only saving grace is at least people didn't drop them like they did with pulltabs...
I too agree with Jeff and your comments. Will add that I've learned to pay more attention to the audio and finally realized that most (if not all) high pitch, conductive tones that are immediately followed by a sudden/brief "null" is not worth digging and usually have a high (30's) ferrous score in Quick Mask. Have used an Etrac since 2014, but amazingly just now beginning to understand all of it's nuances. :rolleyes: Can't imagine how much I've 'walked over' listening ONLY for 'screaming silver' and ignoring what might have been the ugly gold 'grunt'. Getting old = lazy and just don't want to free the landscape of gal-darn pull tabs and ever-present, can slaw.

Hey...stay well and don't forget...the Treasure Cache is one swing away! (y) Now it's time for another :coffee: HH