Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best accuracy with gpsmap 76csx

Rick

Hello,
Would anyone know which of the following would be the best way to get a more accurate point horizontally and vertically I am using a Garmin GPSmap 76csx?

1. Set the gps on the point and let it average for one hour or so.

2. Set the gps on the point, turn on the tracking mode set to one or two second interval, let it collect for an hour or so then average the collected points.

Any input will be appreciated,.

Thank you,
Rick

Make sure WAAS is activated if it has it, this will give a better position

To the best of my knowlege; Doing math (weighted average) on the data set obtained using the second method should give you more accurate results than depending on the averaging done by the receiver. The longer the session, the smaller the difference will be. At one hour, the difference may be insignificant.

I can't speak for all hand held units, but in generalities there is no software on board that will average out the positions collected to get a better position solution. I think the only way it would work is that would have to average the shots externally. I doubt this will gain you anything, since you accuracy is still limited by the accuracy of the unit with WAAS on. You will never get sub-meter accuracy with the consumer units. With the survey grade units we use, we cannot get that accuracy without using differential positioning or post processing the data. On most survey grade receivers you can get a "better" position by letting the receiver "cook" on the point for a longer period of time. The position is still only accurate to 10-15 meters in true location. For new projects in an area with no control we generally do three 2 hours sessions at different times of the day and process the data with the NGS OPUS program. The best analogy I can offer is trying to get sub meter accuracy with a hand held is like trying to drill a 1/16 hole with a Black and Decker hammer drill. Hope this helps.

Sorry to say it but your information is inaccurate.

Most of the handheld units have an averaging function and 76csx does have it. Ref. page 8 of the manual http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP76Cx_OwnersManual.pdf

As for the averaging, it's not that hard to get couple meters accuracy and often better with customer grade receivers ( http://users.erols.com/dlwilson/gpsavg.htm ) the problem is, one can not guarantee the solution so, it's not good for legal surveying but, IMHO it's perfectly fine for informal use.