Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best choice?

ARAWORN

Hi all! I'm new to this forum and beach hunting as well. I was looking for advice on a wet sand detector, particulary between Whites BHID 300 or an Excal 2. Any input would be appreciated. I know there is a few hundred price difference. Thanks.

If you are planning to be in the water, I would go for the Excalibur.
But if wet sand hunting is your objective, I would go with a Sovereign GT due to the ability to change coils to suit your hunting conditions and to easily use a high quality headphone (the stock Excalibur headphones leave a lot to be desired).

sonnar28 is exactly right, tho I bet that if you are a wet sand hunter, you will soon be a water hunter too.
so Excal gets the nod from me.

Thanks for the advice everyone, already have a White's DF for water hunting and have been reading it is better used in the water as opposed to the wet sand. I am trying to justify the $500 price difference between the BHID 300 and the Excal.

Wait, that changes my vote. If you already have a water machine that you like, that opens up a LOT more detector options.

Both fairly easy to use but I feel the Excalibur is a better machine as far as being able to find treasure. 500 dollars is just a few rings and the good is either will pay itself off in time, just the zWhites a little faster. Question, were are you hunting...general area...I hunt the Chesapeake bay and ocean city Maryland....example of

Long Island sound and Great South bay as I live in NY. Getting conflicting reports about the Excal that their machines aren't well made and expensive to repair.

I purchased an Excalibur II new last July. Not quite a year old. Absolutely no problems. I do give it a gentle fresh water bath after each use and I use a silicone dielectric grease on the battery contacts.

Between the jewelry (gold and silver) and Clad that I have found I am only a couple of hundred dollars from the machine paying for itself.

My one complaint is the Headphones. For some Reason Minelab cuts corners with headphones (they use cheapies) and the Excal is no exception. Sound quality, fit and sound dampening all leave considerable to be desired.

I will add a vote for the Excal over the BH. I found the Excal's performance to be superior.

Know this: the Excalibur is the most modified metal detector in use at the beach.

People often replace the knobs because the factory ones break (why??).

They often get an after-market shaft, usually from Anderson, because the stock shaft is unwieldy and uncomfortable (I think it was designed for divers).

Once the warranty expires, many like to replace the stock coil with a WOT coil.

Some also change out the headphones once the warranty expires.

You get the picture.

What they love about the Excal is the performance of the machine.