Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Classic T2 Advice Wanted!:crylol:

cclemc

[size=medium]After searching dozens of Classic T2 topics for jewels of wisdom, I decided that it would be easier for me and other beginners if there was a spot to go to that had only good advice from experienced members on one machine. Thank you to all those who have responded to my previous questions ( REVIER, Dave J., Mega, and many others.) Thank you in advance to those who decide to post their wisdom here. I know I will not be the only one who appreciates it![/size]

I also would like to learn all I can about the T2 classic as I just got one recently.

I just got one too. Can't go wrong with the t2 especially at the new price and ability to upgrade. I've found so far that 2+, disc 0 or 21 in heavy nail areas, sens as high as you can handle and a good ground balance works extremely well. Just listen for those medium tones. A zippy signal is shallow and a smoother signal is deeper. I haven't really found myself paying much attention to the vdi because it is bouncy pasty a certain point on coin sized targets. If I am just coin shooting clad and looking for jewelry I'll switch over to 3 tone every so often. If I get a bouncy deep blip I will switch over to all metal by holding menu for a second, which it's a cool feature, and seeing if it has a smooth round sound. So far I have dug a bunch of wheat cents in a park I pounded with etrac and ATP and also some DEEP lead! This machine loves lead. In two short hunts where I have hit every inch with many other machines I dug 3 ringers and other old lead. I'm impressed so far and even with the stock coil this baby digs through trash, areas which I have avoided due to constant null with etrac. Can't wait to find first gold with this baby!

[size=medium]Nice post Plugpopper. I always get good (strong) signals on lead too. You are saying something pretty similar to what I was told by REVIER. High sens, low to no disc, and one tone. With that, you move the coil very slowly through the trashy iron sites and listen for a particular tone. I haven't been able to get out and practice that yet so I am not familiar with the exact tone yet.
Another thing I would like to mention is ground balancing. I read posts from another topic (in this forum) and they say that in order to gb easier and better, we should drop sens to 30 or 45, set disc to 0, and leave tone at one. I have to try that too. I will most likely have to clear a small spot first with all metal mode because the places I hunt are very trashy. Thanks for the post.[/ size]

[size=medium]You're welcome. When I get some extra time and feel motivated enough, I plan on perusing through as many other posts as I can and cut/paste the classic T2 tips under this topic. Maybe if it becomes popular enough Mr. Bill(?) or one of the moderators will make it into its own sticky(?) or forum. I don't really know how all this stuff works too much yet but I will try to get up to speed. I'm old and slow so it will take awhile.
Clem [/size]

How can you listen for a certain tone when you're detecting everything in the ground and only using one tone? all the targets including the iron are going to sound the same. the only difference will be that shallow targets may sound a little different than deep ones.

If I am using one tone, I use the discrimination at a level to just break up unwanted targets, and listen for the clean signals. I started on a Tesoro so am still an audio hunter. The VDI works nice in parks, but at my iron laden sites tones are the only way to go.

Lower discrimination I use 2 tones or 3 tones, and listen for the higher tones. Basically it is a scale for me, the more discrimination the less tones I use. This seems to maintain the machines seperation and depth.

I rarely use high sensitivity unless going for deep signals. Most spots are too trashy and the machine starts falsing off every tiny bit of junk. I use just enough sensitivity to maintain decent stability in both air and ground conditions. In heavy iron I will drop in the 40s, old parks 80s.

Small coil, small coil, small coil. I rarely can even use my 11" coil, there is too much trash in my parks and especially my old sites. I have a NEL 5.5x9.5 that works much better as a general hunting coil, but the 5" coil is the best. I find more with that little coil than any other. It reduces falsing, runs more stable, less EMI and seperation is great. I wish the larger coils worked for me, but it is about worthless for my hunt locations. Great depth when I can work it, 11"+ coins in damp soil. When I go to the 11" coil, the Lesche Sampson comes out!

Old sites with carpets of nails I run Sen 40-60, Discrim 24-28 (depending on nail falsing/moisture), tones 1, 1+ or 2+ depending on mood.

Parks I run sen 70-85, Discrim 24-50 depending on trash targets, tones 2+ or 3. After ear fatigue sets in discrim goes up, and tone goes to 1, 1+ or 2+. Changing tones changes the monotany for me, and refreshes the hunt sometimes. I have not used the 3b much, but admit I hate bottle caps, but 3b seems to slow the machine down on heavy trash and can loose some deeper iffy targets.

The T2 is a great machine. I prefer my Tesoros in really bad iron, but the T2 holds its own and is much deeper with TID. A small tip, but this goes with any detector. A slightly positive ground balance is much more stable in the iron.

In 2+ iron is a low grunt and everything else is a vco tone. In that tone there are many, many different nuances to look out for and after awhile with the detector you will begin to notice. Round objects sound different than long flat objects, shallow items are easily distinguishable from deeper targets, even depending on how you set your gb slightly positive or negative can affect the sounds of hot rocks making them easily noticeable. Try switching over to all metal when listening to targets too. Even though it's only one tone you can tell alot about a target before digging by slowly sweeping the coil over the target and listening to how the tone stays solid and gets smoother on the edges or if it breaks up a little or bounces while sweeping. Some targets will sound great until you rotate 90° and then you'll hear a difference. Learning how to size targets with pinpoint or by rotating around the target while sweeping is also a trick you will learn after a while, too. One tone might be a certain khz sound but within that sound there are many different variations that your ears will begin to notice after many hours on the machine.

Anything below 40 disc. with one tone you have to watch the meter to see if its iron or a good target.

[size=medium]I wonder if the supposed boost at 50 (sens) affects the ability to discriminate coins from trash. I haven't noticed any but I'm green so I'd like to get other opinions. I've never personally tried to evaluate the actual boost with any reliable testing either. Any thoughts?[/size]

Ok, took out the new T2 today for about an hour. Love It !!! I ran Sens at 75 and Disc at 55. I buried some coins, and my readings and depth were pretty much spot on. I love the features, even though I may not understand all of them. Nice step up from my Fisher F2. Money well spent :cheers:

I have a T2 Classic and have had about 3 hours hunting between rain and work. Very impressed with the sensitivity and stable ID on good targets. I live in SW Washington and have very bad ground, but am getting good depth. Have been using 60 sens, 40 disc, and 2+ tones.

I've been swinging the T2 SE for a few months now. The one tip I would recommend is put the little 5 inch coil on and give it a test drive. I personally love it on old home sites!!!

My very first dig, I snagged a buffalo nickel !!! I love the T2 and I'm still learning it. Thanks for everyone who recommended the 2+ setting for tones. I found that it makes things simpler and cuts down on chatter :cheers:

Disc 21 to silence most iron nails is the way to go in 1 tone. Targets near iron can down average in TID. A nickel that reads 57-58 in air can read into the 30's when co-located with iron. In this case you are looking for that smooth clean response.

Hey Jackpine, Do you find copper pennies much easier with your G2 than with your T2? I'm interested in finding Indian Heads in iron trashy sites mostly but want to know about Wheaties too.

Thanks,
Clem

Of those two, the G2 is my pick for Indian Heads and older wheat pennies in tough iron. The iron handling of the G2 is a generation or two more advanced than the T2. Some feel and I agree that 19Khz is an optimum frequency for eeking out non-ferrous in iron.
\
The T2 was one of the first mass market units capable of a new level in iron unmasking. While it is still a great detector, advances in technology have creeped up on it.

Tom