Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best coils on the V3?

gilfordberry

Which of the optional coils do you recommend for the V3? I would guess a small trash coil (maybe a 5 incher or so?) and a larger concentric coil to go after the deep stuff? And the "V-rated" coils - are they only available from Whites? What about the bigfoot made for the DFX/MXT...has anyone tried one of those on the V3? I haven't purchased my V3 yet (dealer says he won't have the "i" model in for another week or two) but he's putting together a deal for me and I'm thinking maybe a couple coils might be the extra goodies I could negotiate for. So what do you recommend? Thanks, Gil

The D2 that comes with the machine is an excellent coil, very quiet, and goes quite deep. I added a 5.3 coil for the parks and trashy areas, and it has become my primary coil I use, mostly because the pinpoint is so good on it. I have found that working that little 5.3 very slowly turns over a lot of coins that I am sure have been overlooked. I'm sure others will sound off on their favorites, but hands down I would absolutely get the 5.3 if you have the option to do so. Get the lower shaft, and the attach nut too with the coil, as it makes coil swaps much easier.

I'll let people tell you what they like but what is good for one person, well.................. Whites is the only people making V rated coils. I won't argue about the SEF coils being v rated. The big foot can be use with the 2.5 and 7.5 frequencies but will give odd readings on 22.5 Rob

Here is another vote for the 5.3 being the second most important coil to have. Second would be the 950 and third would be a toss up between the Super 12 or the larger SEF. I have used only these and the first two really almost all I mainly use (after the stock D2)..

I really love hunting with the D2,but I have to admit that Ive been to a couple places where the EMI is so bad that the D2 cant be run to its potential.I kept reading of the 6X10 being an excellent coil and has a tendency to run smooth around EMI.Earlier this week my 6X10 showed up,so I took it to the worst area that I had been trying to run the D2.I have to say that I was impressed.The 6X10 ran very smooth and I was able to run the RX and discrimination much higher than I thought Id be able to.In the video,the signal turned out to be a clad dime and I got in the car just before the downpour cut loose.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VQjEjxboac[/video]

My area has mild ground conditions which allows the 950 to provide maximum depth with good target separation.

The best coil I have used by FAR is the SEF 6x8. My second favorite is the 4x6 DD shooter, third is the D2. I've tried the 950 several times and don't care for it. I have a 5.3 and have not been able to warm up to it either... I have a real bias toward DD coils though.

J

See what I mean? Now if someone would just say they liked the 12" we would have them all covered.[attachment 160377 Reading.gif] Rob

n/t

LOL. I know, Rob. It's kinda like asking "what's your favorite color" and expecting a single answer. But I did learn something. It seems the stock coil is a winner (almost everyone said it was a good coil) and that a smaller coil like the 5.3 or 6x10 or even the sef 6x8 were nice "second" coils. I'll probably pick a small eclipse coil and maybe get a butterfly sef from kellyco as a further backup. But I want to thank everyone who responded. The best way to find out what works and what doesn't is to talk to the guys that use 'em and forget about what the salespeople have to say. Thanks again, Gil

Just remember where you are located and how much patience you have to hunt slow should be considered when picking that second coil. I seldom use my 5.3, no patience. I normally use my 6x10 as my smallest coil. Now the coil I need is not out there, that would be a V nulled 8x10 SEF. Is anyone listening?[attachment 160410 Reading.gif] Rob

I had been using the Super 12 until last week, and now the 6x10 is my favorite of the 4x6, D2, Super 12, and 950. I have used the 1400 Deepscan but it didn't like my ground, and I just could not get used to it.