Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best data vs. correlate

chopperj

I would like opinions on the advantages of best data or correlate and when it makes a difference.

Also maybe a dumb question... how tight do most of you keep the screw that holds on the coil? Do you keep it tight enough that it doesn't move or do you prefer to leave it a little looser so it can be moved easily? I can see advantages both ways. I know this is a personal preference thing but just curious as to what the veterans prefer.

Thanks...Joe

[attachment 224240 Untitled-1.jpg]The theory behind correlate is that iron will respond with different phase angles for the different frequencies whereas coins and such will give the correct response across the frequency ranges. So, it is one way to discriminate out iron. The drawback is that potentially you lose depth because the ground affects how the targets come in so they will appear to have the phase difference like iron might and get discriminated out. But, EMI noise would theoretically have an unpredictable response across the frequencies and might be one way to remove EMI too. So, for those that don't want to hunt the deep targets might get an advantage for skipping over the iron targets using correlate. But for those that want deeper, I don't think correlate would be a good option.

I keep mine tight enough it won't move on it's own. It is not tight enough that I can't change the angle with a small of amount of pressure

Thanks Rob, you have already validated my opinion, but I am new to this machine and so the questions.

Thanks... Joe

Hi Rob:I'm confused does it follow that best data reads iron as a target ,and disc out chosen vdis?How does one quiet down an iron infested area and yet see the conductive signals that get lost in the chase. I understand that much is theoretical as u point out however my partner is killing me with his silver finds with brandx, as I pull shallow clad.Demoralizing is an understatement. Jack from penna

Sent a PM with some questions.

Another thing I don't like about Correlate is targets that notoriously give odd readings. Many buttons will jump from the low teens to the 50's in one sweep. I am afraid that Correlate will disregard this signal as junk.

I agree with Rob and Neil,
Best data has always been the way to go with me.
On the other hand, there are so many variables with how people want to hunt and what they are after and if they want an easy hunt or a down and dirty hunt that it is impossible to determine what is best for someone else. I tried correlate back when the vision first came out because their was an uproar about how well it did. To make a long story short, correlate mode missed lots of the iffy targets completely where as best data hit on them. They may not have been the best of signals but, they hit.
It's all in how you want to hunt. Personally, I like to know EVERYTHING that is in the ground around me. Even the iron which is why I use a 5 for the iron range.

I like Best Data but i havent used Correlate enough to make any judgements on it yet and Magic I used your program today, Great Program !!! :thumbup:

magic said:
I like to know EVERYTHING that is in the ground around me. Even the iron which is why I use a 5 for the iron range.

Trying to figure out what you meant by this comment??

Neil, I think your referring to 5 for iron range...
In my program, instead of setting 0 tones for unwanted vdi's, I use the 5 tone. It really isn't a tone, it's just a ticking sound. That lets me know if it's iron in the ground or if it's really mineralized. Also, when you get a really deep signal that bounces from iron to a good 80 s tone, you can figure out if it's a nail by means of the ticking sound ( 5 tone)
Just pinpoint exactly over the target and just barely wiggle the coil....if it ticks, it's iron.

I accept all vdi's because it allows for greater depth. A 0 tone is quiet but a 5 tone isn't bad on the ears because it just ticks and gives you more info about the ground and what's in it.

Neil in West Jersey said:
magic said:
I like to know EVERYTHING that is in the ground around me. Even the iron which is why I use a 5 for the iron range.

Trying to figure out what you meant by this comment??

Boonyman said:
I like Best Data but i havent used Correlate enough to make any judgements on it yet and Magic I used your program today, Great Program !!! :thumbup:

Thanks! :thumbup:

I think Magic likes the Iron tone set to 5 Hz. I have mine set to Zero and I can tell when I'm in Iron by losing the threshold.

Rob (IL) said:
[attachment 224240 Untitled-1.jpg]The theory behind correlate is that iron will respond with different phase angles for the different frequencies whereas coins and such will give the correct response across the frequency ranges. So, it is one way to discriminate out iron. The drawback is that potentially you lose depth because the ground affects how the targets come in so they will appear to have the phase difference like iron might and get discriminated out. But, EMI noise would theoretically have an unpredictable response across the frequencies and might be one way to remove EMI too. So, for those that don't want to hunt the deep targets might get an advantage for skipping over the iron targets using correlate. But for those that want deeper, I don't think correlate would be a good option.

I am a newbie trying to process this out loud:

So when I have the coil over iron and I am using Correlate:

1) If no two of the three frequencies are within the SPAN setting, then the V3i ignores the signal and I never see it?
2) If I set the SPAN setting too wide (?), then I defeat the purpose of using Correlate?

And when I have the coil over any target and I am using Best Data

1) The V3i shows me the response of all three frequencies no matter what?
2) I can still assume that in a good target all 3 frequencies will align or come very close to it and iron will always respond with different phase angles for each frequency?