Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Find of 2013 - Now Encapsulated

ajaj

With the frozen ground (hasn't hit 25 F in over two weeks now) and snow, I have had time on my hands. So, between eBay and pacing back and forth on the frozen ground, I decided to send my 1842-O dime to NGC for grading. It's a beautiful coin!

aj

Looks great!!! How much do they charge?I've got a couple I'd like to get graded a 1832 half dime and a 1889 seated dime.Thanks

She's a beauty, AJ!

looks real good aj, congrats on doing that for yourself, cheers, Jon.

metalfun said:
Looks great!!! How much do they charge?I've got a couple I'd like to get graded a 1832 half dime and a 1889 seated dime.Thanks

Hi, would have answered sooner, but just got back from Chazy Landing, NY...ice fishing and off the grid.

Well, the NGC coins have a website, but it's somewhat confusing. One has to be a member to submit coins ($30 per year). Then each coin costs about $30 for grading, but there is an option for $17 per coin if five are submitted at a time. They are nice to deal with on the telephone, but the process is somewhat confusing from their website. One option is to research local coin dealers who will submit for you and charge less than if you did it yourself. Let us know how you make out.

aj

Really a great way to show off a nice coin find.
Congrats!

Surfinsafari said:
Does the "improperly cleaned" designation affect its value at all?

How's this for an answer...possibly. It wasn't given a number (40 or 45) since it was deemed "Details-Improperly Cleaned". The term "details" refers to a condition of a coin whereas the circulation wear may be, say, F, VF, XF, etc., but there is something going on other than normal circulation wear. For example, a completely uncirculated coin, brand new with no wear, may have some significant scrathes on it. From my research, improperly cleaned is the most common details designation and may not result in a resale value different than the numerical grade. BTW, I only used a water rinse on this dime after it was dug, so the "something going on" probably had to do with the fact that this coin was underground greater than 100 years.

The resale value for details coins depends a lot on eye appeal. My dime, if a 40 or 45, is booked at ~$300-450. However, I think is has nice eye appeal and feel that it could sell, if I was so inclined, at ~$250-350.

aj

Well I almost understand what you said:blink: The coin is beautiful and you are very fortunate to have found it. I am still looking for my find of a lifetime and when and if I do, I hope I dont do anything to ruin the value. Thanks for the info!