Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best find to auction Getting CTX 3030 - Advise on accessories?

Found this with my Explorer about 2 years ago. It graded out at AU50 Details - Scratched. Decided to auction it off and get a CTX 3030 plus accessories. Haven't been posting for a long time. Here is what I'm wanting advise on please, since you guys use the machine. Is the Coiltec 10" x 5" coil good for my smaller coil? How deep does it go? I'm thinking of the Minelab pinpointer since it has conductive and ferrous sounds. Finally, waterproof headphones - thinking of the Minelab ones. Any advise would be appreciated. Robin

Attachments

• 1916dFrontBack.jpg
    1916dFrontBack.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 187
Agree with others. Sold my Coiltek. Is solid rather than open which makes it heavier on an already heavier machine. Also the solid body to me made it a little harder to pinpoint. I found a 1916 a few years ago but wasnt the D which is the really valuable one.

I’d be interested to know how much the Merc goes for Robin, especially in these weird and unstable times. As far as the CTX, it really depends on what kind of hunting you do. If you have those SUPER junky sites where coins you’re looking for might still be in the 7” or less range and you’re looking for the best separation you can get with that machine...the CTX06 coil. If you’re in a fairly clean ball field where the old coins are VERY deep, the CTX17. For general purpose hunting and a coil that moves through water fairly well while still getting great depth and reasonable coverage, the CTX stock coil. This might all seem very obvious, but there it is.

I’d be interested to know how much the Merc goes for Robin, especially in these weird and unstable times. As far as the CTX, it really depends on what kind of hunting you do. If you have those SUPER junky sites where coins you’re looking for might still be in the 7” or less range and you’re looking for the best separation you can get with that machine...the CTX06 coil. If you’re in a fairly clean ball field where the old coins are VERY deep, the CTX17. For general purpose hunting and a coil that moves through water fairly well while still getting great depth and reasonable coverage, the CTX stock coil. This might all seem very obvious, but there it is.
The guy at Stacks said $4500-5000 and possibly higher on the Merc. Said the red book prices are 20 to 50% inflated - first i heard that. Thanks IDXM, That's what I'm looking for. You have used them. I have not.
I am having a little second thoughts on the CTX, Being it's a out eight years, Wonder when they are coming out with a new model? How about that ML Harness thing, looked pretty good in the video I saw.

If I were on the fence about a detector, I'd pick up something less expensive, like a used AT Pro with a large coil. My kid does very well with that machine.

The guy at Stacks said $4500-5000 and possibly higher on the Merc. Said the red book prices are 20 to 50% inflated - first i heard that. Thanks IDXM, That's what I'm looking for. You have used them. I have not.
I am having a little second thoughts on the CTX, Being it's a out eight years, Wonder when they are coming out with a new model? How about that ML Harness thing, looked pretty good in the video I saw.

I tried the minelab pro harness. Spent a bit of time trying to get it adjusted. After a couple of hours messing with it i gave up and tossed it. 100 dollars down the drain.

That sounds bad on the harness. The video made it look easy of course. I have an old bunjie thing from way back. Like you I tried it a few times and it was more of a pain than a tired arm.
Thanks for the feedback GeorgeinSC

My 2-cents worth. Definitely get the 17" coil. I use it more than any other coil, even in moderate trash in parks. It helps you net more sweep area per swing. Also, a harness of some kind is a must. I have had the CTX since May 2012 and it has cost me my right elbow (tennis elbow) and my right middle finger (trigger finger). I started using a harness exclusively two years ago and after a few steroid injections and PT, I am better. Remember that a weight-balanced boat anchor is still a boat anchor.

The small coil choice is your personal preference. I prefer the Coiltek to the 6" Minelab coil so that is what I use. I guess swinging the old 8x6 SEF coil on the E-Trac spoiled me on small coils. I recommend some kind of screen cover to keep it from getting scratched. I use the one that protects phone screens, cut to size. I use some wrap on my handle for comfort as well.

Good luck. The CTX is an amazing machine.

May be some truth to the RedBook comment... I have both the Red and the BlueBook (2019). Seems Red is more retail and Blue more wholesale. When jkline text saying he thought he had ‘16D and I saw the prices I for sure thought it was caviar and champagne night, nope old man eyes was having hotdogs and cheap beers!!!

Thanks Guys, Ironman - appreciate the help with coils. Sorry about the elbow and finger, dang. I really like the Sunray 8" on my Explorer for trashy areas. = Robin

Very hard to beat ctx 3030. Great machine. You will have a learning curve but it will find treasure. I have found silver dimes deeper than 12" and 10 " in clay.

CARVER

Found this with my Explorer about 2 years ago. It graded out at AU50 Details - Scratched. Decided to auction it off and get a CTX 3030 plus accessories. Haven't been posting for a long time. Here is what I'm wanting advise on please, since you guys use the machine. Is the Coiltec 10" x 5" coil good for my smaller coil? How deep does it go? I'm thinking of the Minelab pinpointer since it has conductive and ferrous sounds. Finally, waterproof headphones - thinking of the Minelab ones. Any advise would be appreciated. Robin
Nice job.
carver

Thanks Guys, Ironman - appreciate the help with coils. Sorry about the elbow posted and finger, dang. I really like the Sunray 8" on my Explorer for trashy areas. = Robin
If you decide to get the ctx 3030 watch the videos on how to set up by GATEKEEPER . Very good videos.

Carver

Very hard to beat ctx 3030. Great machine. You will have a learning curve but it will find treasure. I have found silver dimes deeper than 12" and 10 " in clay.

CARVER
Wow that is deep for a dime! I am just a little intimidated by the 5lbs weight. I had a Excalibur 1000 that was 5lbs and it wore me out. I know the CTX is balanced better, but still making up my mind. Thanks for the info.