Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best frequency to use

Kapok

I have been hunting a site where a building sat. It was torn down last year so there is a lot of modern non-ferrous junk like aluminum pieces, etc., many quite large, as well as nails, and you name it. It’s a very challenging site to hunt due to the sheer amount of targets, and only the Deus could get through it. However I’ve made some very nice finds, including a half dime, using the x35 coil with the Sifter program and a modified version of the Fast program using full tones. But my question is, which frequency would be best for this environment? If it were iron, I would lean towards the higher frequencies, but not sure which is best for non-ferrous junk. Thanks, everyone.

Good Question
I would be leaning more to the lower frequencies like 8 or 12. If its as trashy as you say it is then there are lots of small conductive targets. Don't worry about the iron targets their easy to deal with and some will fool you but not many I hope. When we hunt the UK we hunt the higher frequencies 18 and up because we are looking for small hammered coins and relics. The Deus is very good at finding them at the higher frequencies, But If you run the higher frequencies at this site your unit will be hammering every tiny little target. If you hunt at 8 or 12 then less tiny junk but definitely not missing things like dimes. I'm no fan of full tones either because think about it. What does it gain you except more noise but not more information.You cannot ID anything from the tone. Your going to be looking for positive tones and a TID number. Reactivity is important here too as you are by your description hunting adjacent targets. I would suggest a reactivity of 3 but not more than 4. In this case of lots of trash I would be hunting a smaller coil like one of the 9"s and I never say that. This sounds like a spot that cherry picking is in order. Adjust your swing speed to slow and then slow again. Get out there

You found a half dime in a modern trashy site? You must have a really low sink rate lucky stiff. I pretty much agree with Todd. For coins in trashy sites, like 8kfz with four tone breaks. Dont care for full tones. Unless I'm getting mixed tones, will employ a 8/4 switch to cut down on trash digging. Keep in mind if your in a really high EMI area may have to raise as high at 28kfx which I've found to be surprisingly decent on small silver. best.

The good stuff is all mixed in with the modern trash since the place was bulldozed. I found the half dime right next to an irrigation line hose clamp. It’s just so much work and slow going, if I didn’t keep finding stuff, I’d go elsewhere.

Thanks, both of you, for the advice. I’m going to try the lower freqs and 4 tones next time I’m out there.

Todd, I use your program almost exclusively in the outlying areas of this site where there’s minimal trash; if there’s a target under my coil, I’m confident the Deus will find it.

From an experienced user on another detector site.....he stated the use full tones of Deus allows some identification of those Aluminum junk items, with the possibility of finding rings in the mix. It has been stated though that full tones isn't implemented as well as on the Equinox. I'd like to try full tones but will have to upgrade my remote from the Orx.

The Equinox calls it 50 tones I think. And in a mix of scrap aluminum, etc. looking for rings is out of the question. I'm just cherry picking coin-sized targets that fall into the tone slot of my 4-tone Fast program with a high enough VDI to make me interested in digging it. I went again last night and found 1 wheat penny and some modern change, so I may move on to my next site.

When running full tones on the Deus is there no difference in scrap aluminum versus ring or coin sized targets in sound? Could be that differences are very slim. I have gotten pretty good at finding coin sized objects with the Orx based on sound without meter ........probably better if I had a concentric coil on it. If they had a variable surface blanker like on the old Bounty Hunter it might prove useful .....to cut out the first several inches of top soil and aluminum trash. The Pitch on Deus or Gold mode on Orx comes in handy at times to get a feel for depth of objects in area....most experienced relic hunters have gravitated to pitch.

For me Aluminum has a kind of hollow sound, where Gold and rings are a sharp cut off.
You really have to listen for the differences.

When running full tones on the Deus is there no difference in scrap aluminum versus ring or coin sized targets in sound? Could be that differences are very slim. I have gotten pretty good at finding coin sized objects with the Orx based on sound without meter ........probably better if I had a concentric coil on it. If they had a variable surface blanker like on the old Bounty Hunter it might prove useful .....to cut out the first several inches of top soil and aluminum trash. The Pitch on Deus or Gold mode on Orx comes in handy at times to get a feel for depth of objects in area....most experienced relic hunters have gravitated to pitch.
The differences are very slim, and this particular site is just so overloaded with big ferrous targets (like chunks of aluminum garden edging, shards of steel, etc.) that I have chosen to just cherry pick high tones that are coin-sized.