Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Best" PI for east coast and gulf beaches

Champ Ferguson

OK, I know every site is different and I know the dis/advantages of PI, blahblahblah, so with all those basic things out of consideration,

What are you recommendations for a good pulse induction detector for jewelry/coin/artifact hunting on US east coast and gulf beaches?

I want depth over discrimination with this machine, obviously + I prefer DD coils. Waterproof to 10' or so is a must. I have never owned a PI before tho that shouldn't make any difference.
I've been thinking a SDC 2300 for chains and earrings would be a good choice, but am drifting toward an ATX.

(then again, there's always a chance too that Minelab's new unveil in September will be a killer PI beach machine that doesn't ever break so maybe I should wait on this purchase...)

Beach sand "depth" on east coast beaches can vary rapidly daily so beach conditions (sanded in or eroded) is probably more important than a few inches different between detectors.

You mentioned some of the top machines when you stipulated waterproof.

Treasure coast beaches where you are not allowed in the water and are restricted to the sand probably the top machine for depth
would be a Minelab GPZ 7000 for $8,000.

Hey you asked.

Another consideration when you are doing ultimate depth hunting is machine ergonomics. Because you can be doing a lot of walking to find those Unicorn treasures.

Here's a story.

http://www.wesh.com/article/man-finds-treasure-possibly-linked-to-1715-spanish-fleet/10034643

Also at 10' you will be diving so a Aquapulse would be the way to go.

Thanks for the reply ROBOCOP.
re sand movement, I am familiar with how beach sand moves. I should have said that I do have beach detecting experience with ML's FBS machines and the Excal II.
I think we need to toss the GPZ on waterproof to 10' requirement tho.
Also, 10' is just a quick way of saying " I want to be able to dunk and maybe snorkel with it".
Thanks again, I'll check out the Aquapulse machines; haven't considered them at this point.

The Us can make a huge difference. Those with higher Us tend to eliminate a lot of smaller targets but do a great job on larger gold. Some like the Finny have an advantage of no only a low Us, but the option to switch coils and headphones. The ATX seems to be a good choice. The Aquapulse is more of a dive machine thats Us is set for high mineral concentrations and larger targets.

This won't help younif you need a detector now, but have a look at this thread I started a while back - "Let's design the perfect beach detector".

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?26,2381767

My vote goes for the VALLON VMH3CS. Eric Foster introduced this machine to me and I can tell you it is deep. A 6 1/2" x 12" elipticle coil comes standard.

If you don't need discrimination then one of the best detectors that i use is the Tesoro Sand Shark, $600 machine that will pay for its self in no time.

No detector which can operate satisfactorily in salt water - whether it's a multifreq. VLF or a PI, is very sensitive to so called "micro jewelry". In the case of VLF's the ground balance point is too close to the response of the target. In the case of the PI detectors, the problem is the minimum pulse delay. The shorter the delay, the more sensitivity to small targets - for microjewelry, you would like well under 10 microseconds - 10μs. Unfortunately, pulse delays below about 10 - 15μs cause a signal in salt water - so that up to now, no PI beach detector has featured a short pulse delay.

I believe the Samd Shark's fixed pulse delay is about 20 μs.

The Detector Pro Head Hunter Pulse (out of production) could go to 15 us.

I also use a White's TDI bagged on the beach but I can't really set it down to 10us in operation and get stability.

This is wading only.

Honestly on the Gulf or Fl beaches the SS isnt getting anymore depth over the Xcal........ we've tested it. Plus its Us is set for a bit larger gold than most better PIs. The Finny does have a Us of 10 with lots of coil options, ability to swap phones, and water proof. The Xcal will pick up a piece of gold around .3 ..... or $10 range........ there has to be trade offs. I believe you will find a small mono coil to be a better choice on a PI.

I used the Infinium for several years in the New England salt waters, and found it better than the SurfMaster Pro. Mainly because of the options to change coils and head phones. I has it hip mounted as was the SM Pro. The SM Pro is my lightweight detector as I have my control box hip mounted - I could swing the coil for 8 hours without aid of a harness.

Then the ATX came to the market with the extra controls I wanted on the Infinium. I had to have one! I have not gone back to the Infinium except for the winter months while working in the rock with its 8" mono coil. ATX just can not top the Infinium in this environment. BUT out of the water the ATX is and arm buster because of its weight against the hip mounted Infinium or Excalibur. I have to use a Minelab ProSwing 45 if I want to use the ATX out of the water. The only other downer is the shaft and cam locks on the ATX. They are VERY high maintenance and MUST be cleaned after every use in the salt water and every other or so if used in fresh water.

Look at the videos on the Garrett website. They are a great insight to the ATX: http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_atx_videos_en.aspx.

As for detecting in FL and the Caribbean, I use my Excalibur, easy to travel with and a PI is not needed due to the black sand areas we have here in New England.

Not as experienced as most of you guys. About 4 years ago dug in and researched for East coast/ Gulf Coast, Pi machines. Came down to the Dual Field, Sand Shark, and the Garrett Infinium. Went with the Inferno. Reasons were, interchangeable coils, two tone target id, can be belt mounted. Of course waterproof.
Now I'm a sorta lightweight, but the Infinium has paid for itself TWICE. All that being said, I hunt with a couple guys, one hunts the Dualfield, the other a Ctx. They do quite well. Haven't seen a Sand Shark. Biggest tip I can give, If you happen to pass your coil over a good target, better dig it. Even if your wrong.

U have an aquapulse. expensive cost me 2400 US shipped from UK plus duties and taxes. Deep seeker for sure best find was a 14kt custom ring with three VVS quarter caratdiamonds. Paid for the machine. Down side... Heavy old boat anchor. Ikelite case serious machine for professionals

I honestly would try a used Whites TDI Pro. In a pinch you can pelican box the unit and take it in or around the water. Great depth.