Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best v nickel yet

Mcdetect

Another hunt at my favorite 1800s park gets me my nicest V nickel yet...1900 and in decent shape. Usually v's are close to unreadable out of my local soil. This one looks decent. Any tips on best way to shake off the remaining crud are appreciated.

Heat some drug store hydrogen peroxide in the microwave until its very warm, not hot, let it soak overnight. Brush lightly under a faucet with a toothbrush the next day.

My latest technique is put 4 crusty Indian Head Pennies in an ice cube tray in distilled water. I then put them in the freezer until frozen very solid, take them out, let thaw and repeat. Every time I repeat the process it knocks a little more of the crud off! PATIENCE is my biggest problem! I've ruined numerous coins because I wanted them to look clean today, which ended up making them look worse than when I dug them up! LOL Good Luck!

Mcdetect said:
Another hunt at my favorite 1800s park gets me my nicest V nickel yet...1900 and in decent shape. Usually v's are close to unreadable out of my local soil. This one looks decent. Any tips on best way to shake off the remaining crud are appreciated.

My latest technique is put 4 crusty Indian Head Pennies in an ice cube tray in distilled water. I then put them in the freezer until frozen very solid, take them out, let thaw and repeat. Every time I repeat the process it knocks a little more of the crud off! PATIENCE is my biggest problem! I've ruined numerous coins because I wanted them to look clean today, which ended up making them look worse than when I dug them up! LOL Good Luck!

Mcdetect said:

Yup I’m in the same bot as you MCDetect, this is my first V Nickel and I can only read the last number which is a 6.