Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Whites Jewellery hunter :shrug:

I found quite a bit of jewelry with my old XL-PRO, but I dug every thing that "locked the needle"on a low vdi.I've dug small gold in the 5-8 vdi range.Somehow,I couldn't get the same results with a digitally metered detector.

after fourteen years using a dfx for jewelry hunting.and using several others,i can tell the difference in a pull tab and a gold ring every time.not so much when going over can slaw.but at least 70 percent of the time.some might not believe that, but I know what I know.

Thanks Larry :biggrin:

AJ

Larry (IL) said:
amberjack said:
thanks Larry , you near got me sold :biggrin:

the DFX E-Series same as the DFX 300 ?? is that just a coil thing?

Yes, the 300 comes with the 12" coil...... best avoided for jewelry hunting.

how long sense they stopped making these do they have any known problems ?

Been maybe 3 or 4 years. Only problems I'm aware of is the stock programs are pretty lame.

is buying 2nd hand a lucky dip or are the tough machines??

what's a fair price for a nice one?

I wouldn't be afraid of a used one and $300 to $400 would be fair depending on what came with it.

just checking ebay there is a few there looks like they are not hard to find?

Try our sponsors/members first for a nice used one. A WTB ad should bring a closet queen out....:lmfao:

thanks again for all your help!!

AJ

Tom Slick said:
Southwind is right about the DFX. You can pick up a clean used DFX for between $300 - $400 if you shop around a bit. That's about the same price as an M6 and it's a way better detector in my opinion. I must have had a Brain Fart as I use a DFX with a BigFoot coil all the time. I have a couple of M6's too but they don't get near the use the DFX does.

The DFX is the way to go!!

WOW! Suprised No V3i love as thought with the polar plot and analyze screen would cut down the odds? Don't get Me wrong had a DFX for a year when they first came out dug a lot of old coins in trash with that little 5.3 Eclipse coil. Wasn't really lookin' for jewelry back then,
I see now maybe I should have more.

Now you guys have really sparked my interest in the DFX! Will have to study up on this for a while.

My vote would also go for the DFX,mine was one of the 1st in the UK in 2002,still going strong after all these years,for some specific reason it loves gold,its found me most of my celtic gold staters 55BC and Viccy Sovereigns as well,most of the time i use the Hotshot coil for deeper detecting on say pasture sites or newly ploughed and rolled and the SEF8x6 coil on trashy saxon sites.

Its just a reliable workhorse in the detecting world,i do have some more modern machines but always drift back to the old DFX.

Found a demo DFX 300 with 2 year warranty. Should arrive next week. Can't wait to try it out.:thumbup:

nearly bought that dfx Albert but I knew you wanted it more than me :biggrin:

I been looking at the MX5 looks to have a real open gold range , lighter too than the DFX and from what I seen does well in iron, yep has some flaws but don't they all, anyway still not decided seems the DFX still is winning the vote :shrug:

thanks!

AJ

I found the MX-5 in 2 Tone to be very good at picking targets out of iron. It is really a sleeper machine.

Well AJ , thanks for letting me buy it. LOL Who knows there may be a slight chance that I might not like it, this is of course after I have found all the gold and silver jewelry :detecting:

no worries Albert , hope you do pick up some nice stuff with it :biggrin: I ended up going MX5 so see what happens I just want to try something different you know cant have the same meal every night.

good luck out there !!

AJ

So true AJ. I wish you good hunting with the mx5. Hope that when you find the pot of gold , you won't forget us here at findmall:cheers:

thanks Albert , yeah I will be sure to post up all my pots of gold :lmfao: be happy with a few gold rings to pay for my new toy :biggrin:

let us know how you get on with the DFX.

AJ

AJ, the number one mistake I think people make with the MX-5 is thinking they need to crank sensitivity all the way to max. It will be somewhat noises at that level. I found it to be just as deep and much more usable at 2-3 bars or even more off max sensitivity. I prefer smooth and stable threshold vs a machine maxed out to the point of instability. I think you will like the MX-5 I know I regret selling mine.

I agree Fletch88, stable is best, must be a high gain machine anyway , I have seen it with Tesoro's set on one then 10 and only 1" difference in a bench test, its on its way now and I bought new, now to figue out what 2 coils I am going to buy, coins & jewellery as in modern coins in trash and rings where ever.

so had my eye on the whites 5.3 concentric and strangely enough the Detech 10 x 5 just to try something different and at some point in the future depending on how I get on with the detector add the 13" ultimate for deeper stuff more ground coverage for coins/beach.

that's about my plan see how it works out hey be a few weeks before I have everything all in one place so anyway my hard work is done now just wait and have fun detecting :biggrin:

I don't see much on this detector on YouTube etc.. sure there is some but not like a lot of detectors, really for the price it has a lot of features.

I was going to get a racer 2 and by the time I get a couple coils for it, its gotten outta control.

anyway as the saying goes time will tell.

thanks for your support and everyone on the whites forum stepping out a bit I am !!

AJ

IMHO, the M6 is hands down the best gold jewelry hobby machine out there. I've found 41 gold items in the last 6 years with mine including 3 gold nuggets, the largest being just over 3.5 grams and the smallest just under .25 grams. All were found in gold mine tailings piles.

On my M6, which has the 4x6 coil on it 90% of the time, if the VDI indicates in the gold range, and the VDI number is rock solid regardless of which direction I swing over it, chances are good that it's gold, especially if the depth is 4" or greater. I love the screw cap indication. It's given me more gold rings than any other.

As far as the DFX, I've seen people have good success with mine, but while I had mine, I never had it out a single time that I had all the settings right. I think the M6 is a much simpler and equally, if not better, machine than the DFX - once again - In My Humble Opinion.

I see my plan falling in to place :biggrin:

I like how I can buy a brand detector in this case "Whites" and several modals use the same coils, so I can sample a few detectors and keep the coils.

some company's don't do this and I am sure I am not the only one who thinks like I do, if I have to buy different coils for every modal of a brand that starts to get real expensive.

its one of the reasons I am taking a walk down the Whites road rather than the Nokta/Makro sure some share but only the same kHz machines so it does get expensive several coils can cost over 1000 $ and that's just for one machine so yeah.

get the MX5 and some coils I can try another Whites detector if I want and don't need any coils, works for me.

AJ

amberjack said:
I agree Fletch88, stable is best, must be a high gain machine anyway , I have seen it with Tesoro's set on one then 10 and only 1" difference in a bench test, its on its way now and I bought new, now to figue out what 2 coils I am going to buy, coins & jewellery as in modern coins in trash and rings where ever.

so had my eye on the whites 5.3 concentric and strangely enough the Detech 10 x 5 just to try something different and at some point in the future depending on how I get on with the detector add the 13" ultimate for deeper stuff more ground coverage for coins/beach.

that's about my plan see how it works out hey be a few weeks before I have everything all in one place so anyway my hard work is done now just wait and have fun detecting :biggrin:

I don't see much on this detector on YouTube etc.. sure there is some but not like a lot of detectors, really for the price it has a lot of features.

I was going to get a racer 2 and by the time I get a couple coils for it, its gotten outta control.

anyway as the saying goes time will tell.

thanks for your support and everyone on the whites forum stepping out a bit I am !!

AJ
Yeah, I wasn't expecting a couple of deep dimes with my sensitivity set at the top "s" on "sens". I think that's about halfway and I was at a local school just keeping the thing smooth since it was an oft searched site. Hit my best ring in years at 15 ID, or foil and usually ignore those, but it blasted the audio. I like 8 tone but you guys have me considering 2 tone. I also followed the advice to lower to iron nails on coins mode.

Well I couldn't help! I found what I think is a deal on a DFX that I couldn't refuse! Standby