Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BETWEEN THESE TWO DETECTORS FOR GOLD??

St Bernard

Between the GARRETT AT GOLD and the MINELAB X-TERRA 705 GOLD which do you feel would be the best for all around gold detecting with the prices they sell for. Feedback appreciated.

Thanks Bill

Bill, I would consider the new Equinox 800 over both those machines, its got some serious new technology, multi freq unlike the older multi freq machines, and is very sensitive to small gold nuggets as well as gold chains, etc, the older multi freq machines were not good on small gold at all. Plus I hear they are good on salt water beaches for coin/jewelry,

All the people using the E800 seem to be real happy with it. I will wait at least 6 months to see how reliable they are

Thanks Bill

I have yet to see any feedback on using the Nox in highly mineralized soils. I would think Minelab would know what they're doing with all that mineralized soil in Australia. But I don't think I would be picking up one of these until after I've seen someone take it through its paces in a locale like Randsburg.

Maybe have a look at the White's MX Sport. Based upon the MXT, which is a proven nugget hunting detector and can handle exceedingly tough ground. The MXS has, basically, all the options of the MXT and a number of extras. 2 things that stand out with the MXT/MXS are the VSAT and the ground tracking. I don't think there's any VLF detector out there that can match its' ground tracking ability.

I've had the X705 Gold, MXT, Gold Monster 1000, and currently have the MX Sport. Only the frequency on the GM 1000 goes high enough for finding really small gold. Gold that's usually found is small and in rough ground. For a VLF machine, I'd stick with the Equinox 800, GM 1000 or HF Gold Bug. Liked my X-TERRA 705 GOLD for coin & jewelry because is was light and worked very well. Sold it to get the MX Sport because of being water proof. GM 1000 will put you on color, buck shot, and foil the size of a pin head, very sensitive machine. I'm kind of old school and missed not having a threshold although I've read where you can run the GM 1000 kind of hot in manual and get the sound of the ground, kind of like a threshold.

El Toro said:
I have yet to see any feedback on using the Nox in highly mineralized soils. I would think Minelab would know what they're doing with all that mineralized soil in Australia. But I don't think I would be picking up one of these until after I've seen someone take it through its paces in a locale like Randsburg.

The Nox 800 works just fine in mineralized soil. I live in Arizona, the only changes you need to make to the factory settings is lower the sensitivity and Iron bias. The biggest issues I have is all the trash the illegals leave, you dig 80 pieces of trash, mostly lids from cans to every bit of gold. I did find the largest piece of lead that I have ever found this weekend, I'm thinking it was from the Spanish mining days.sorry you cannot see all the trash (recent) because I had to crop in order to upload.The trash you see has been there a week or less, but the wash's in this area is loaded with back packs, old cans, and of course the water bottles. the water and beans are placed there by the so called humanitarians, I think they should be required to clean up the washes on a regular basis. those of you who do not live near the boarder never see this. Oh yea I tripped the sensor this weekend and the boarder patrol sent the helicopter.

The smallest piece I have found does not register on my scale, and is wafer thin. The picture above is not gold, but lead, the lead I usually find has a thin coat of dirt and will rub off, this piece did not telling me it was there a long time. There are ruins in the area left by the Spanish, 1500 - 1600's, a friend found some writing dated 1658.The wash in the picture above is about 20 miles north of the boarder.

The 705 will find very small gold. But not waterproof.

Dollar for dollar the Equinox 800 is superior to both machines. Even if it wasn’t ‘dollar to dollar’ it still is! I’ve owned a 705 and several AT’s including the gold-multifrequency with the option of selecting a frequency is a great thing. Bill Southern has some YouTube vids using the Eqx in the desert and finding gold. I plan to let my daughter use my Equinox while I use my PI machine on a future trip. Anyway, I love both of the machines you mentioned but they’ve been outclassed...

I personally have not tried one, few of the guys here in the Idaho IGPA have one. Seems like it does a great job. Kind of a digital version of their GMT with improved depth and ground balance.
For about $50 more the Gold Kruzer can be had that’s water proof, wireless head phones and rechargeable battery. I love White’s detectors and still own two but they need to start adding newer technology to their machines. Lot of competition in the market place.

St Bernard said:
Between the GARRETT AT GOLD and the MINELAB X-TERRA 705 GOLD which do you feel would be the best for all around gold detecting with the prices they sell for. Feedback appreciated.

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill. I own or have owned most of these machines mentioned here. I had the Garrett AT, and I have the Xterra 705. I own or have owned most of all the other machines also.
Actually, neither the Garrett AT nor the Xterra is that good for finding gold. The Garrett wieghs a ton. It is built like a tank. I never found any gold with it, niether.
The Xterra only has a max frequency of 18.75 kHz.
This is not nearly enough frequency. Look for a machine that can pump out 40 kHz. Also, you will need to buy an additional coil for the Xterra just to get 18.75 kHz.
Most of the experienced prospectors use Minelabs.
I feel that Minelabs are the best for gold prospecting.
Right now I am learning the Equinox 800. I haven't had a chance to do any prospecting with it yet, but the preliminary reports coming in are very positive about it.
I really like my Equinox 800 a lot. It really raises the bar in terms of what you can get for an affordable detector now in terms of price, technology and functions. It's real light, too. There is a 15' coil for it, also. Note: If you get an Equinox you need to get the 800, not the 600. Only the 800 has the gold modes.
Hint: If you get an Equinox, the owner's manual is not included. Print out the owner's manual, because the Equinox has a pretty steep learning curve. Best wishes.