Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big Brother is Watching..!

It is interesting how some people are so hostile to this hobby. Granted there are people that don't hobby responsibly. For instance, a detecting club from Spokane/CDA caused enough damage that detecting is verboten on all public property in Kellogg, ID. The cop that ran me off was polite enough, and explained why. I should have called the city for permission, but who is around to answer phones on a Sunday?
You're correct One Bad Apple can spoil the whole bunch

Some one called the cops on me and my buddy hunting a park. The ground was soaked and extremely muddy. Two cop cars came from different directions and left deep burrowed tracks in the lawn. They pulled up to us and said we were supposedly tearing up the park. They said the caller said we dug dozens of holes in the turf. I ask the cop to point out these holes to us, he couldn't find any. Then he stated we are not allowed to hunt in the parks. So I directed him to the cities web site with metal detecting rules and pointed out how we were complying with each and everyone. So he let us know that we were being warned and then he and his partners got back in their cars and tore up new ruts across the rest of the turf. Know the rules and follow them, this is the only way we can keep this hobby going

Some one called the cops on me and my buddy hunting a park. The ground was soaked and extremely muddy. Two cop cars came from different directions and left deep burrowed tracks in the lawn. They pulled up to us and said we were supposedly tearing up the park. They said the caller said we dug dozens of holes in the turf. I ask the cop to point out these holes to us, he couldn't find any. Then he stated we are not allowed to hunt in the parks. So I directed him to the cities web site with metal detecting rules and pointed out how we were complying with each and everyone. So he let us know that we were being warned and then he and his partners got back in their cars and tore up new ruts across the rest of the turf. Know the rules and follow them, this is the only way we can keep this hobby going
I'm finding the young cops in their 20's and 30's have little knowledge of metal detecting laws in their own city. The old timers are always cool.

I hate detecting in public and avoid it whenever possible. That’s why I detect wood mostly where the only eyes on me are animal ones. I am mostly into colonial through early 20th century finds and not a coin shooter. When I do hit parks or schools I’m seeking jewelry or silver.

I only recently started detecting a few local parks here in Colorado as a way to "keep in shape" until next Spring when I discovered there is no digging allowed, so I'm having to learn the screwdriver method as well. Last week I was rewarded with 2 Zincolns after a few hours of trying to probe & pop. There were plenty of targets, but most were out of reach. Today I think I'm starting to get the hang of it and its making for much faster recoveries so far, except for a couple of 6" dimes that I had to finesse out of the ground. There were park workers on site and I asked if I was in the way but they said I was fine and waved every time they went by on their mowers. A patrol car even cruised by and looked but just kept going. I noticed when I was done there was no evidence anywhere of my pops. I could get used to this.

Attachments

• 2020-10-29-SecondAttempt.jpeg
    2020-10-29-SecondAttempt.jpeg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 85
I only recently started detecting a few local parks here in Colorado as a way to "keep in shape" until next Spring when I discovered there is no digging allowed, so I'm having to learn the screwdriver method as well. Last week I was rewarded with 2 Zincolns after a few hours of trying to probe & pop. There were plenty of targets, but most were out of reach. Today I think I'm starting to get the hang of it and its making for much faster recoveries so far, except for a couple of 6" dimes that I had to finesse out of the ground. There were park workers on site and I asked if I was in the way but they said I was fine and waved every time they went by on their mowers. A patrol car even cruised by and looked but just kept going. I noticed when I was done there was no evidence anywhere of my pops. I could get used to this.
I hear you.....! Sometimes it depends upon the city park personnel. I in fact,.. enjoy hunting city parks.... Easy walking...easy plug diggs. But if I had to dig with a screw driver... I would salute them and leave..! 🇺🇸