Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BIG silver and a tiny token!

Ronstar

Sounds like a country song…… I will try and keep this relevant so bear with me if its a bit long. Lesson learned twice over!

jkline busy today playing Pimp my Ride so I wandered off to the AdLawn by myself. The forest fire smoke rolled back in heavy yesterday with an AQI showing 153 today. Temps supposed to be low 80s so opted for a 9:00 start.
Hit an area on the main AdLawn that I haven’t made a grid search pattern as of yet. Area was a rectangular shape approximately 25yds by 40yds. The idea was to dig every viable signal and investigate those that were iffy. I started out digging a fair amount of tabs and pulls that were hitting in the dime range for numbers. I’m thinking there is a little something to wet ground giving inflated readings. Dimes were hitting quarters numbers etc. Even zincs were up in the penny numbers so those got dug as well. I was doing pretty well getting quarters and dimes, a couple nickels, and oh yes, a silver dollar……
There is an area on the lawn that seems to produce more old iron nails than any other place. There is also a fair amount of iron “chunks” buried that sound off with falsing or halo high tones. Generally I have learned if its 97-99 its false or if a bit lower but not there at the 90 degree swing then still some type of larger iron piece.
I started into the edge of this area knowing I was going to get bombarded with high tones. I had not gridded this area yet rather just a wandering pattern. Jeff and I both have recovered coins and other goodies in here so time to see what we missed. Did I mention the silver dollar?
I started getting the high falsing numbers about every 3-4’ and dug some and by passed some using the above criteria. At one point, I was getting 98-99 and when I turned I got a couple 91-92 flash hits and then jumpy numbers and when full circle back to the high numbers. Ok, lets go after the low numbers if I can pinpoint accurately enough. Depth was showing 9-10” and then shallower when other numbers popped in. Dug initial plug at full depth of the Lesche digger plus a little extra. Pulled out four nails that looked both rusted and burnt (blackened as such). Garrett was indicating something yet below (I run mine on medium sensitivity) so I pushed that 8-9” depth and pulled another nail. I’m guessing it was a nail spill as such…..
I decided to scan the plug one more time with the detector, solid 90-91 hit with the confidence meter showing full on confidence. Garrett buzzing that I’m basically on it so I pushed the trowel down a bit further out and flipped the dig off to one side. I was looking at the back of a silver dollar!!!! Flipped it over and it looks like exposed to heat of some type, 1922! Don’t even remember what I did next.
There were two other guys swinging detectors out across the way and I was aware they were there and I to them. One guy walked over and asked how it was going and I said kinda slow and he left. Bye. I stayed there a bit longer just so they didnt see me just up and leave. Did I mention those high annoying falsing hits can maybe be a real big coin? Well I am now!
I am fully believing if that confidence meter had not indicated big silver and round I might have passed on it if just another high number. Trust your machines and trust that tiny hairs on the back of your neck.
Also, $1.65 in clad, a religious pendant, and a tiny little token. Turns out it was a 1946 L.A. Transit token!!!!!

Did I mention its my first silver dollar????

Attachments

• B8B21347-1254-4406-90B9-B5D9A0C6D9C2.jpeg
    B8B21347-1254-4406-90B9-B5D9A0C6D9C2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 148
  • AEC95DEE-5BFF-49CE-A772-1F15E797ED11.jpeg
    AEC95DEE-5BFF-49CE-A772-1F15E797ED11.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 136
  • EBADC09B-59BF-4E90-BD1F-DB21BBED8ABD.jpeg
    EBADC09B-59BF-4E90-BD1F-DB21BBED8ABD.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 120
  • 2857EBBB-DC97-4B14-8AD4-BE2DEF76CE0B.jpeg
    2857EBBB-DC97-4B14-8AD4-BE2DEF76CE0B.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 95A2A99A-D8DC-41F7-A665-4D9AABCCFF74.jpeg
    95A2A99A-D8DC-41F7-A665-4D9AABCCFF74.jpeg
    549.5 KB · Views: 86
  • A3437203-596E-4B39-B598-F330E3850FC6.png
    A3437203-596E-4B39-B598-F330E3850FC6.png
    826.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Whats in the total photo is what was within an 8” diameter cylindrical column at various depths above the dollar. The F75 flashed that dollar at 9-10” but then became clouded with those dang high value rusty nails. Removing the nails (again) was how I got that 1893 V nickel, and 1925 wheatie. Removing these nails is what finally revealed what the detector whispered to me, “dig me”. (Most of the zincolns and aluminum tabs were not in that area……)

Incredible hunt Mr. Ron!! I would had to of gone home to clean my shorts 💩 after seeing that big azz silver dollar pop out of the dirt 😂🤣🤣
A big congratulations to you !

Never say never guys. This place has a history of detectorists over the years, I suspect most of the shallow silver has probably been recovered and we continue today with mainly dimes. I suspect the detectors today are better in general that those of the 80-90s. Moving the trash made that thing sing loud and clear

Sounds like a country song…… I will try and keep this relevant so bear with me if its a bit long. Lesson learned twice over!

jkline busy today playing Pimp my Ride so I wandered off to the AdLawn by myself. The forest fire smoke rolled back in heavy yesterday with an AQI showing 153 today. Temps supposed to be low 80s so opted for a 9:00 start.
Hit an area on the main AdLawn that I haven’t made a grid search pattern as of yet. Area was a rectangular shape approximately 25yds by 40yds. The idea was to dig every viable signal and investigate those that were iffy. I started out digging a fair amount of tabs and pulls that were hitting in the dime range for numbers. I’m thinking there is a little something to wet ground giving inflated readings. Dimes were hitting quarters numbers etc. Even zincs were up in the penny numbers so those got dug as well. I was doing pretty well getting quarters and dimes, a couple nickels, and oh yes, a silver dollar……
There is an area on the lawn that seems to produce more old iron nails than any other place. There is also a fair amount of iron “chunks” buried that sound off with falsing or halo high tones. Generally I have learned if its 97-99 its false or if a bit lower but not there at the 90 degree swing then still some type of larger iron piece.
I started into the edge of this area knowing I was going to get bombarded with high tones. I had not gridded this area yet rather just a wandering pattern. Jeff and I both have recovered coins and other goodies in here so time to see what we missed. Did I mention the silver dollar?
I started getting the high falsing numbers about every 3-4’ and dug some and by passed some using the above criteria. At one point, I was getting 98-99 and when I turned I got a couple 91-92 flash hits and then jumpy numbers and when full circle back to the high numbers. Ok, lets go after the low numbers if I can pinpoint accurately enough. Depth was showing 9-10” and then shallower when other numbers popped in. Dug initial plug at full depth of the Lesche digger plus a little extra. Pulled out four nails that looked both rusted and burnt (blackened as such). Garrett was indicating something yet below (I run mine on medium sensitivity) so I pushed that 8-9” depth and pulled another nail. I’m guessing it was a nail spill as such…..
I decided to scan the plug one more time with the detector, solid 90-91 hit with the confidence meter showing full on confidence. Garrett buzzing that I’m basically on it so I pushed the trowel down a bit further out and flipped the dig off to one side. I was looking at the back of a silver dollar!!!! Flipped it over and it looks like exposed to heat of some type, 1922! Don’t even remember what I did next.
There were two other guys swinging detectors out across the way and I was aware they were there and I to them. One guy walked over and asked how it was going and I said kinda slow and he left. Bye. I stayed there a bit longer just so they didnt see me just up and leave. Did I mention those high annoying falsing hits can maybe be a real big coin? Well I am now!
I am fully believing if that confidence meter had not indicated big silver and round I might have passed on it if just another high number. Trust your machines and trust that tiny hairs on the back of your neck.
Also, $1.65 in clad, a religious pendant, and a tiny little token. Turns out it was a 1946 L.A. Transit token!!!!!

Congrats on a super duper find Ronstar! Being curious, persistent, and thorough paid off big time!

Congratulations very cool finds!
Tony