Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big silver from an Amish cattle pasture

TrpnBils

Not a bad day! First target was the quarter, and the only other keeper of the day came about 2 hours later in the form of a nicely toned, but worn, 1907 Barber half! The 17" coil is a bear to swing through foot tall grass for long!

It might be a bear buddy but it has delivered SO many good finds the adrenaline just keeps me swingin’. I just found a Barber half last weekend 1895-O in an old fairground with trash so thick you could cut it with a Sampson 31” shovel!:) 17” coil bopped it right outta there like nothing,exactly my pinpointer deep. Also got a 5 gram 10k solid gold ladies high school class ring from 1927. That’s rolling HIGH for back then! Fastest 80 bucks in the West!
Congrats on a couple of really nice finds,I’ve found that IF YOU TRUST THE MACHINE you will do well. When I start to second guess and veer off track,my finds go straight in the toilet.
Keep crankin’!:yo:

IDXMonster said:
It might be a bear buddy but it has delivered SO many good finds the adrenaline just keeps me swingin’. I just found a Barber half last weekend 1895-O in an old fairground with trash so thick you could cut it with a Sampson 31” shovel!:) 17” coil bopped it right outta there like nothing,exactly my pinpointer deep. Also got a 5 gram 10k solid gold ladies high school class ring from 1927. That’s rolling HIGH for back then! Fastest 80 bucks in the West!
Congrats on a couple of really nice finds,I’ve found that IF YOU TRUST THE MACHINE you will do well. When I start to second guess and veer off track,my finds go straight in the toilet.

If you don't switch to a smaller coil in heavy trash, what's your point where you do? I'm on another site that's the front lawn of a museum, but it's adjacent to an old school playground (asphalt) and has been used for years for public events. LOADED with trash. I couldn't deal with the noise with the big coil, swtiched to the stock one and got a merc, and then switched to the 6" and got a deep LC a few weeks ago. There's a lot of ground to cover though, so the 17" one would be nice if I knew it was handling the trash instead of masking the deeper stuff.

TrpnBils said:

If you don't switch to a smaller coil in heavy trash, what's your point where you do? I'm on another site that's the front lawn of a museum, but it's adjacent to an old school playground (asphalt) and has been used for years for public events. LOADED with trash. I couldn't deal with the noise with the big coil, swtiched to the stock one and got a merc, and then switched to the 6" and got a deep LC a few weeks ago. There's a lot of ground to cover though, so the 17" one would be nice if I knew it was handling the trash instead of masking the deeper stuff.

Personally?...I shut off all the noise by running high disc. 40-50 Co/0-27 Ferrous. One open rectangle at 1200hz. Anything that squeaks gets an exam from all directions to see if I can get that same squeak from that one EXACT point on the ground. Look at numbers when it squeaks. I can make it do that from ANY 2 angles? Dig a hole. I’ll try to make a video for this today,since I’m off due to a huge local power outage. Don’t get me wrong,the smaller coils make it easier sometimes! You just have to have the mentality that you will NOT cover as much ground,but a lot of times picking a small area and picking it to death with a smaller coil is the thing to do!

Ahh that's right, I forgot you have a really heavy discrim pattern that you run. I have your program on my machine but I'm so used to the one that I do I normally stick with it. I loved 50 tones on the Etrac but I can't get used to it on the CTX (looking at your explanation above it seems like you don't use 50 tones, but I thought I had read that somewhere). I use combined with pitch hold on my program, but run very little discrimination (like a small block in lower right and the upper two rows on both Fe and Co directions, more or less). I run it in high trash mode, but I guess that's a bit of a waste if I'm not running much discrimination.

That's interesting that you use just a single tone. I guess that's more of a "dig everything repeatable within the range" kind of thing. Maybe I'll have to take a look at that.

IDXMonster said:

Personally?...I shut off all the noise by running high disc. 40-50 Co/0-27 Ferrous. One open rectangle at 1200hz. Anything that squeaks gets an exam from all directions to see if I can get that same squeak from that one EXACT point on the ground. Look at numbers when it squeaks. I can make it do that from ANY 2 angles? Dig a hole. I’ll try to make a video for this today,since I’m off due to a huge local power outage. Don’t get me wrong,the smaller coils make it easier sometimes! You just have to have the mentality that you will NOT cover as much ground,but a lot of times picking a small area and picking it to death with a smaller coil is the thing to do!

TrpnBils said:
Ahh that's right, I forgot you have a really heavy discrim pattern that you run. I have your program on my machine but I'm so used to the one that I do I normally stick with it. I loved 50 tones on the Etrac but I can't get used to it on the CTX (looking at your explanation above it seems like you don't use 50 tones, but I thought I had read that somewhere). I use combined with pitch hold on my program, but run very little discrimination (like a small block in lower right and the upper two rows on both Fe and Co directions, more or less). I run it in high trash mode, but I guess that's a bit of a waste if I'm not running much discrimination.

That's interesting that you use just a single tone. I guess that's more of a "dig everything repeatable within the range" kind of thing. Maybe I'll have to take a look at that.

Exactly,I run Combined still. I can’t run 50 tone all the time on the CTX either,it’s a lot easier for ME to tell what’s what with the signal if I listen to it as a single tone and pick it apart from there. HOWEVER!!.....if you have a process that is comfortable and is working,do NOT change it! We all hear things differently,no matter how small the difference is. What is “nice” to my ear may not be so nice to someone else’s. Thank GOD(actually Minelab) that they gave us so many options! Well done with the finds,keep THAT going!:)